The Student Room Group

Dilemma

A few nights ago at 20 past midnight, a friend of mine (no longer a friend) came to my house to purchase my brother's 2GB memory chip. This 'friend' hangs about with a lunatic with whom my brother has beef, so my brother asked if this lunatic would be there and he replied in the negative (he was lying though).

To cut the long story short, I went outside to do the trade and they ingeniously plotted to jack me because of what they believe my brother did a few months back.

They took the memory chip (which is worth about £60-80 but brought it off ebay for £34) after threathening to hit me with a spanner. This so called friend is going on holiday today for 2 weeks and it would be fair to assume that he took the chip with him.

I have two choices a) Tell the police and b) Get it back myself by force

Option a) results in serious repurcussions since this lunatic already holds previous criminal convictions and if anything happens to him, he'll do anything to get back at me and my brother since he knows where we live. I don't want to live the fear of always "watching my back" and by informing the police, this lunatic might even get my family involved which I terribly fear.

Should I just leave it and accept the £34 loss or take legal action?

Your help is much appreciated.
well £34 is alot of money so i'd call the police, why were you dealing with this person you say is a friend anyway, you say hes just a so called friend.

Getting it back by force will only get you in trouble with the police.
Reply 2
if i was you i would leave it as both ways you are gona be messed up but then again people may call that "chicken"
i would leave it personally, i would not want anything happening to me or my brother because of a £34 memory chip!!
im with lilac, just walk away. dont risk it.
Reply 4
Carl1982
well £34 is alot of money so i'd call the police, why were you dealing with this person you say is a friend anyway, you say hes just a so called friend.

Getting it back by force will only get you in trouble with the police.

I referred to him as a 'so called friend' because of what he did. He used to be my neighbour and knew him for a good 8-9 years. He believes that my brother gave his name and address when he was caught for fair-trading in the train (but my brother is completely innocent). By taking the memory chip it's his way of getting back at my brother.
Reply 5
Anonymous
I referred to him as a 'so called friend' because of what he did. He used to be my neighbour and knew him for a good 8-9 years. He believes that my brother gave his name and address when he was caught for fair-trading in the train (but my brother is completely innocent). By taking the memory chip it's his way of getting back at my brother.

true, but would you risk something happening to you because of this "chip" or because hes getting back at you!!
Reply 6
I really am perlexed. One the one hand my heart is telling me not go while conversely my brother is telling me to go since he wants the lunatic behind bars. :confused:
Reply 7
okay, well i agree with your brother, who doesnt there enemy behind bars but you are going to have to think about both your saftey at the same time, i repeat leave it
Reply 8
Anonymous
I really am perlexed. One the one hand my heart is telling me not go while conversely my brother is telling me to go since he wants the lunatic behind bars. :confused:
dude once the lunatic is behind bars, the job's done... he wont bother you again until he gets out... by that time, gather some *trusted* friends just in case he comes back for you... and if he does, just make sure you and your friends hammer him and make him pay the 34 pounds (sorry i dont have the pound sign :redface:)... there's no reason for you to be scared, seriously

on a different note, if you just leave it... he might keep harassing you more and more in similar ways... thinking you're defenseless and insecure.

i think confronting him rather than turning back is a better option... but of course, you know the circumstances better than i do
Reply 9
ya and what if the lunatic has his friends so go after them while hes behind bars?? what they gona do then?
Reply 10
tell the cops about it beforehand.. just a week back my friend made a police report on "self-fear"

he was in a similar situation, and he contacted the police, and he told them that he's scared that the guy's friends will come after him (and this is a gang we're talking about, with weapons and stuff)...

make sure you at least identify some of the lunatic's friends... then let the police deal with the rest
Reply 11
id take something of his somehow and blackmail the bast***, if not i have to say i would probably take things into my own hands -not really advisable i know. all else fails phone the police, if he gets away with it this time whats stopping him doing something else at another date.
Reply 12
i dont get why a rudeboi would want a memory chip anyway. did you have some sort of inclining that this jacking might take place and it was around midnight right?

honestly i would want revenge in the sense that i would want the chip back. however doing this yourself might get you hurt even more. telling the police will lead you to walking around in fear all for £34. when i watched bullet boy i thought why do kids get themselves mixed up in all this trouble; the two boys were stabbed and it all escalated from them accidently bumping a wing mirrior

maybe if you let the guy think he got ur brother back it will blow over and your dispute is finished with. i know its hard to accept but it would be better than more and more retaliations
Reply 13
He stole from you, so you call the police. Do it. Now.

Latest

Trending

Trending