The Student Room Group

OCR FP1 Friday May 16th 2014

Hi everyone. I'm sitting this further pure paper in a week's time and I'm fairly nervous! Any tips or advice?

How are you feeling about it? Has anyone sat this previously? It's the first time ((so far)) I've found anything we've covered in maths particularly difficult...

...modulus and argument I find to he he weirdest part - also slightly weirdly - proof by induction is great! Well, as could as it could be, given this is further maths...

But yeah, I'd love to hear back from anyone else sitting this :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be sitting this exam too :s-smilie: I actually don't find this module too difficult personally, although complex number roots often get me confused..

Best way to prepare for this is probably just do loads of past papers :tongue:
Reply 2
Sitting it as well. Should be okay I think... I find it a bit weird that Further maths is before C1😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You guys seem so calm about this, I've been doing past papers and there's stuff that still eludes me.

Relegated to getting a rubbish result in this (usually high grade boundaries) and M2 now. :frown:
Reply 4
I know the grade boundaries can be stupidly high! I've seen 63 for an A!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Probably as people who are good at maths usually take further, and FP1 probably comes across as very easy to them.

I find normal maths relatively straight forward but FP1 and M2 have been challenging for me this year - kinda regret taking the subject but I've found it very interesting regardless.
Reply 6
C1 and C2 are a piece of piss compared to fp1!:L hopefully the exam won't be to hard:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Anyone know what the determinant means in terms of the transformation of the unit square into some sort of parallelogram? I have some idea but teacher didn't really go over it so you know...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Tomh97
Anyone know what the determinant means in terms of the transformation of the unit square into some sort of parallelogram? I have some idea but teacher didn't really go over it so you know...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Determinant = area scale factor of the transformation
Reply 9
So what types of questions are you guys hoping to see in the paper?

Hopefully an easy 12 marks for the series & proof question. :wink:
Reply 10
Not sure really. The thing I wouldn't want to come up is matrix transformations... They're alright but prefer everything else by a mile!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Induction is the worst
Reply 12
I actually quite like induction proofs:L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Only a fan if its summation or a matrix one
Looking forward to this exam tomorrow, normally takes me about 25 minutes to finish each paper :P

For anyone who is worried, just take your time. I find the FP1 exams to be very short in comparison to other modules, you've plenty of time.

For the guy above who mentioned matrix transformations, I find it easier to always draw the unit square and the transformation from the matrix given so I can really see what's going on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Yeah that's what I do; can't be bothered to remember the general formulae for shears, stretches etc. the only one I remember is enlargements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tomh97
Yeah that's what I do; can't be bothered to remember the general formulae for shears, stretches etc. the only one I remember is enlargements

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah same, I can't be bothered either. Its far easier to draw the new unit square and just see what's going on rather than trying to remember the individual matrices.
Reply 17
Original post by stirkee
Yeah same, I can't be bothered either. Its far easier to draw the new unit square and just see what's going on rather than trying to remember the individual matrices.

Exactly. Gives a better understanding as well I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by stirkee
Looking forward to this exam tomorrow, normally takes me about 25 minutes to finish each paper :P

For anyone who is worried, just take your time. I find the FP1 exams to be very short in comparison to other modules, you've plenty of time.

For the guy above who mentioned matrix transformations, I find it easier to always draw the unit square and the transformation from the matrix given so I can really see what's going on.

25 minutes...very impressive. :smile:
just did the jan 13 paper, couple of meaty questions on there!

Quick Reply

Latest