The Student Room Group

Self teaching these modules- is it possible? Advice needed.

Okay, I'm considering continuing all 4 subjects (chemistry, physics, maths, further maths) into A2. I'm not sure if this will be a good idea, but I feel I will be able to manage if I can self teach enough over the summer holidays.

At the moment, I'm doing C1/C2/C3/C4/M1/FP1 and will be taking exams in these quite soon. I have personally found C3 fairly straightforward, but C4 was incredibly difficult, but this might have been due to not being taught it in enough depth as I've had to self teach some of the topics from that module (mainly integration and vectors which were rushed through). FP1 was fairly straightforward and M1 was initially fairly difficult but I'm more comfortable with it now, although there are occasionally questions which confuse or trip me up for all these modules (although I understand how to do them now).

In my A2 year, I will be doing FP2, FP3, M2, S1, S2, D1. I have been told that FP2/FP3 are pretty difficult so I'm thinking of possibly self teaching these two modules after my exams have finished (using examsolutions, textbooks etc) over July/August. If I have time, I might also do M2 if I can because I want to reduce my workload down for next year since it's likely that chemistry/physics will get much more difficult as well. Therefore, I'd very much appreciate advice on this- do you think it would be possible for me to self teach these modules in that timeframe or is it too unrealistic? If not, would it be better for me to drop maths, continue with chemistry and physics, and complete 3 extra maths modules to get an AS in Further Maths and A level in Maths?

If it makes any difference, I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge, Durham, Imperial and 2 from Warwick/Manchester/UCL .I hope to do physics/physics and chemistry/natural sciences
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm doing the exact same subjects as you and was considering the same thing :smile: Only difference really is I'm doing C1, C2, S1, M1, M2, and FP1 this year and I do FP2, D1, D2, S1, S2, C3 and C4 next year. I personally am not too concerned about self teaching anything (we seemed to complete the course quite a few weeks before anyway) but if you felt they kind of rushed stuff this year then it might be worth considering self teaching I guess.

S1 is easy, probably the most challenging part is probability so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Haven't done FP2 and FP3 like I just said but I've heard they are pretty difficult, might be good to self teach I guess just because it will probably be easier when you come back to it. If you want to self teach something more relevant to what you've done M2 is great, links over with so much stuff in physics (depending on which physics course you do) and would have some similar things to M1 so would be fairly easy to self teach. Not that it would matter now (given as you are doing M1 this year) but it does show easier alternative methods to do M1 questions that involve less work. That's about the limit of my usefulness here xD I don't do any of the others till next year :P

Good luck with your exams anyway :smile:
Original post by bobbricks

In my A2 year, I will be doing FP2, FP3, M2, S1, S2, D1. I have been told that FP2/FP3 are pretty difficult so I'm thinking of possibly self teaching these two modules after my exams have finished (using examsolutions, textbooks etc) over July/August. If I have time, I might also do M2 if I can because I want to reduce my workload down for next year since it's likely that chemistry/physics will get much more difficult as well.

Firstly, it is fairly standard that FM students take 6 or 7 units in Y13 so you are following a normal pattern

FP2 and FP3 are not that difficult - it is always useful to look over the material prior to September but I would not think of it as self teaching as you will be taught the material next year

Do you know which of your teachers are stronger/weaker or which units are taught well/not so well - you could choose the units that you pre-study to reduce the impact of this
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
Firstly, it is fairly standard that FM students take 6 or 7 units in Y13 so you are following a normal pattern

FP2 and FP3 are not that difficult - it is always useful to look over the material prior to September but I would not think of it as self teaching as you will be taught the material next year

Do you know which of your teachers are stronger/weaker or which units are taught well/not so well - you could choose the units that you pre-study to reduce the impact of this

No, since we might be changing teachers (due to timetable changes etc), so won't be sure which of them will be stronger/weaker...Also why do you say FP2 and FP3 are not that difficult since I hear loads of people talking about how difficult they are?
Original post by bobbricks
No, since we might be changing teachers (due to timetable changes etc), so won't be sure which of them will be stronger/weaker...Also why do you say FP2 and FP3 are not that difficult since I hear loads of people talking about how difficult they are?

Well they do not introduce many new topics and what they do introduce are very clearly defined - the questions are straightforward in the same way as the applied modules - they ask exactly what you expect them to almost all of the time

Quick Reply

Latest