The Student Room Group

1st/2nd year of uni & what need to know for uni

Hiii there

Is Edge Hill a good university to go to and study there?
Also, what is the 1st/ 2nd of the university is like!? And what do you know to know when u to uni? Tips and advice!! And especially for those who will be living off-campus! I will
Be waiting for ur reply.
Original post by Anonymous
Hiii there

Also, what is the 1st/ 2nd of the university is like!? And what do you know to know when u to uni? Tips and advice!! And especially for those who will be living off-campus! I will
Be waiting for ur reply.

Hi,
Hopefully someone may respond about what it is like at Edge Hill, but I thought I would answer your question about the first couple of years and living off campus.

One main thing you will need to figure out and factor in is transport. Make sure you know how your getting to and from uni and also an alternative in case there is any transport disruptions. Also check the latest way to get home (for after a night out or a society meeting) - although you may find a friend who lives on campus that you could stay at theirs for a night. Living off campus, you will still be able to participate in many of the social aspects of uni.

First and second year can be a fun and exciting time at uni. You'll get the opportunity to meet lots of new people and choose to be a part of any sports or societies - for many it is never too late to join so if you miss it or pass in the first year you may be able to join in second or later years. For many it can take some time getting use to new methods of teaching, learning, self independence and no doubt there will be things you find challenging.

All the best and hope you enjoy your time at uni ! Catherine - Strathclyde University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Hi!

Thanks for messaging me I appreciate it. I'll be sure to do that so. May I ask what has the university been like for you and what have you learned in those years and time? I'd like to hear your suggestions and opinions too.

Also, If there's anything else I must know about in general about uni and the years going on and courses and such. Please do let me know.
Hiii there

Be waiting for ur reply.

Hi,

I will be going into my final year of Edge Hill come September and for me I would definitely say it is a good university.

Some of my favourite things would be:
1. That it is a campus based university this means everything is in one place making it a lot easier to get around and limits how many times you could potentially get lost.
2. That it is based in Ormskirk which is a little town which means its very close from the university (a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute bus ride). There is also a train station which goes into Liverpool and Preston with them taking 35 minutes.
3. There are lots of different cafes, restaurants and shops which you wouldn't see much elsewhere (Henry & Co and Bloom and Brew have lots of products from small businesses, Ormskirk Market which opened at the end of last year which has food of different cuisines).
4. The careers team at university are great they were a wonderful help at getting me an internship for the summer but can also be super useful if you wanting to get a part time job such as get your CV reviewed.
5. Uniskills - this is great for if you are struggling at stuff such as referencing, exam prep and they even have workshops as well which are online or in person I've linked them here.

1st year you can expect welcome week which consists of both academic and social activities this consists of you getting to know your future course mates through icebreakers and also find out what you will be doing for that year on your course. There is the welcome fair which allows you to see all the societies and sport teams on offer where you can sign up. Then you have the evenings which is the freshers events in which there is something on every night with a different theme. For my course in first year and I think for many you have to pass your modules (get 40%) to make it to second year so this is somewhat of a chilled year in comparison to others. However, I would suggest making good habits that will help in 2nd and 3rd year for example doing extra reading if you are struggling, meeting up with module leaders etc.

For both 1st and 2nd year I had 3 days in and 2 days off with these being different days for each semester. For my degree I just do lectures and laboratory work however for some you will do seminars and workshops. My weeks usually consist of 12 hours with this being split across the three days. There are also placement handbooks sent in October and March which are great opportunity to get industry experience either in January and/or over the summer holidays. Which means you can suit it to what is best for you. There is also the option to self source your own placement if you find one of interest instead.

For 2nd year I would say the main difference is that the work you do and the effort you put in matters as this counts to your final grade.

I have lived on campus for two years and then will be living off campus but in Ormskirk so I won't be able to assist on what it is like to live off campus. However there are opportunities for commuters to meet for example there is a commuters breakfast which takes place on Tuesdays and Thursdays 8-9am (dates may vary / change).

Some tips and advice would be:
Get a diary or a planner this is a great way to keep on top of different of things such as social activities, and uni work because a lot of the time you will have multiple assignments due around the same time. In which this is a perfect way to make sure you aren't falling behind.
Use all the resources that are available to you e.g. personal tutors, module leaders, student support and the careers team.

Hope that helps, let me know if there are any other questions I can answer!:smile:

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Reply 4
Wow, many things to know and to learn from I am loving it!!!!!! Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. It was fun to read and know your life at University and it was fun.

In September I will be studying Children's Learning and Development BA HONS. It would be great to know what the timetable is like and overall the course, is there any students or ambassadors around here to give me some information & introduction how's the course and what's it like for me to study the course? Basically generally anything and everything would be great and useful to me to start in September.

Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi,

I will be going into my final year of Edge Hill come September and for me I would definitely say it is a good university.

Some of my favourite things would be:
1. That it is a campus based university this means everything is in one place making it a lot easier to get around and limits how many times you could potentially get lost.
2. That it is based in Ormskirk which is a little town which means its very close from the university (a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute bus ride). There is also a train station which goes into Liverpool and Preston with them taking 35 minutes.
3. There are lots of different cafes, restaurants and shops which you wouldn't see much elsewhere (Henry & Co and Bloom and Brew have lots of products from small businesses, Ormskirk Market which opened at the end of last year which has food of different cuisines).
4. The careers team at university are great they were a wonderful help at getting me an internship for the summer but can also be super useful if you wanting to get a part time job such as get your CV reviewed.
5. Uniskills - this is great for if you are struggling at stuff such as referencing, exam prep and they even have workshops as well which are online or in person I've linked them here.

1st year you can expect welcome week which consists of both academic and social activities this consists of you getting to know your future course mates through icebreakers and also find out what you will be doing for that year on your course. There is the welcome fair which allows you to see all the societies and sport teams on offer where you can sign up. Then you have the evenings which is the freshers events in which there is something on every night with a different theme. For my course in first year and I think for many you have to pass your modules (get 40%) to make it to second year so this is somewhat of a chilled year in comparison to others. However, I would suggest making good habits that will help in 2nd and 3rd year for example doing extra reading if you are struggling, meeting up with module leaders etc.

For both 1st and 2nd year I had 3 days in and 2 days off with these being different days for each semester. For my degree I just do lectures and laboratory work however for some you will do seminars and workshops. My weeks usually consist of 12 hours with this being split across the three days. There are also placement handbooks sent in October and March which are great opportunity to get industry experience either in January and/or over the summer holidays. Which means you can suit it to what is best for you. There is also the option to self source your own placement if you find one of interest instead.

For 2nd year I would say the main difference is that the work you do and the effort you put in matters as this counts to your final grade.

I have lived on campus for two years and then will be living off campus but in Ormskirk so I won't be able to assist on what it is like to live off campus. However there are opportunities for commuters to meet for example there is a commuters breakfast which takes place on Tuesdays and Thursdays 8-9am (dates may vary / change).

Some tips and advice would be:
Get a diary or a planner this is a great way to keep on top of different of things such as social activities, and uni work because a lot of the time you will have multiple assignments due around the same time. In which this is a perfect way to make sure you aren't falling behind.
Use all the resources that are available to you e.g. personal tutors, module leaders, student support and the careers team.

Hope that helps, let me know if there are any other questions I can answer!:smile:

Rebecca
Reply 5
Wow, many things to learn from am loving it. Thanks for taking the time to share your time and thoughts at the university am sure it was great and fun!

In September I will be studying children's learning and development BA HONS and it would be great if some students or ambassadors would be around here to tell me how is the course overall, what's their idea about it and their thoughts in general. So I can gather as much knowledge as possible for me to start university. Basically anything and everything or teachers anyone. The more the better.
Hiii there

Be waiting for ur reply.

Hey there,

As a second year cyber security student I will try to be very brief and straight to the point :smile:

1) Engage as much as you can - student societies, sport clubs, events. These are all there for you )
2) You will need a laptop, a few notebooks, good attitude and ambition :cool:
3) First year is relatively easy and is mostly for you to discover the activities you enjoy being engaged into. Try everything and have a list for your second year
4) Speak with people, engage into conversations, do collaborative study, try to be active and you will enjoy your time in uni :wink:

That is 4 main advice I have for you,

Feel free to ask questions,

Take care,

- Ilya :u:
Wow, many things to learn from am loving it. Thanks for taking the time to share your time and thoughts at the university am sure it was great and fun!

In September I will be studying children's learning and development BA HONS and it would be great if some students or ambassadors would be around here to tell me how is the course overall, what's their idea about it and their thoughts in general. So I can gather as much knowledge as possible for me to start university. Basically anything and everything or teachers anyone. The more the better.

Hi,

I don't do this course and unfortunately nobody on The Student Room for Edge Hill does this however you can go on our chat to students function and talk with Darren he is studying Ba (Hons) Teaching, Learning & Child Development and hopefully he can be of some use to some of your questions. Here is a link to his profile.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!:smile:

Rebecca
Hiii there

Be waiting for ur reply.

I don’t know much about Edge Hill but I have been to university. The first year is pretty cool really you have lectures and stuff mostly covering stuff you possibly covered at sixth form or college you only really need to pass first year (40%) as generally first year results don’t carry over it’s just to get everyone to the same point.

Social life at uni is a big thing he Sunday night is usually pretty messy (it’s the first time everyone is together ) You’ll have second years showing you around and acting as guides throughout freshers week they’ll have T-shirts so you can tell who they are usually saying Angel (they called Angels at my uni.) or something on them. There is loads going on in freshers week so go to some of those with your house mates (I assume it’s a uni owned off campus house your livening in.) and make sure you get to the freshers fair it’s always worth while even in your second and third year (get there early and there is often free pizza.).
You say “what do you know to know when to uni?” I guess you mean How do you know when to go to uni? Easy you’ll have a time table that will tell you everything you need to know. Livening off campus shouldn’t be a problem lots of students do as long as you can walk to the uni or there are regular busses.

Enjoy it it’s a wild ride.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending