The Student Room Group

C1 Polynomial Roots

So I literally spent an hour trying to do this question with no luck. Long division doesn't work with it and I've tried completed the square. Any help would be appreciated. I know how to do (ii) and (iii) but I can't seem to work out (i).

Original post by JackB784

Divide the cubic by x - 2. Post your attempt if you think it is wrong.
Are you saying that you cannot do the long division for (x3+0x25x+2)÷(x2)(x^3 + 0x^2 - 5x + 2)\div(x-2)

You could always use inspection/equating coefficients

x35x+2=(x2)(x2+ax1)x^3 - 5x + 2 = (x-2)(x^2 + ax - 1)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M

Yeah 1 sec I'll upload it.
So I literally spent an hour trying to do this question with no luck. Long division doesn't work with it and I've tried completed the square.

Long division works fine, so you've probably made a mistake. Complete the square on the remaining quadratic, then use difference-of-two-squares to factorise.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M

From that picture it's clear that you need to revise polynomial long division. You haven't completed the division, but more importantly, you haven't aligned the expressions correctly. You need to leave space for the missing x2x^2 term in the cubic, for example. If you don't do that, you'll find it very tough to get the right answer.
Reply 7
Original post by atsruser
From that picture it's clear that you need to revise polynomial long division. You haven't completed the division, but more importantly, you haven't aligned the expressions correctly. You need to leave space for the missing x2x^2 term in the cubic, for example. If you don't do that, you'll find it very tough to get the right answer.

Ah yes! Thank you I'll try again.
Reply 8
So I literally spent an hour trying to do this question with no luck. Long division doesn't work with it and I've tried completed the square. Any help would be appreciated. I know how to do (ii) and (iii) but I can't seem to work out (i).

I use this method instead of long division- much faster once you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps
Reply 9
Original post by Tytrox
I use this method instead of long division- much faster once you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps

I'll try it out! Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest