The Student Room Group

Will the nerves ever go away? :(

Hi all,

I passed my test in August last year, I was a confident (not cocky) driver and really enjoyed driving. I didn't drive after my test, until I got my new car.

I got it earlier this month and it is a lovely car to drive. I'm rubbish at cars, but it's a 1.2 petrol Corsa (14 years old), I've no idea on its exact model etc...but this is slightly irrelevant lol. However, I learned in a diesel, so my clutch control in my new car isn't 100% due to the difference between diesel and petrol. (I know not all agree, but I personally found it a strange switch.) But my clutch control clearly isn't awful, as I haven't stalled *yet*. So, onto the problem..

Before I go out anywhere in my car, I get awful nerves and start thinking of all the things that may go wrong. I panic I won't be able to get into the correct lane at a roundabout and cause a crash, or I'll stall at traffic lights, or something (I've never done any of these so it's somewhat an irrational fear). I have been out twice in the car on my own, down to the shops, which went smoothly - so I know I am not an awful driver. I feel more comfortable having someone else, so sometimes my mum joins me, and with her company I've done small trips down dual carriageways and stuff.

When I'm actually in the car, I'm okay. I'm not overly hesitant, slow or anything you may assume from a nervous/new driver. I tense up a bit but otherwise I'm okay. It's just beforehand - I panic, get nervous, start thinking of all these accidents that may happen. Once I'm going, I'm concentrating so much I think it overrides any nerves.

Only today, I panicked so much I couldn't actually go out in my car. I was going to pull off the drive, which requires a hill start, but I messed up and rolled back a little. I secured the car, but I got so nervous thinking I'd never be able to get up the hill and that I'd just keep rolling back, that I didn't go out at all in the end.

So, with all that said, has anyone else experienced this? Do you think it will go away with time? I feel like an idiot for getting so nervous over something so small. I keep pushing myself to drive at least every other day, and I really enjoy it, but the nerves I get beforehand make me wonder if I will ever be able to just hop in my car and drive off without worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I deal with a lot of anxiety, not with this particular issue but in general. I think your best bet is to identify your irrational thoughts ie wrong lane at roundabout etc and then recognise how these thoughts are irrational. You then use the evidence eg 'I haven't had an accident before, it's extremely unlikely' to make yourself feel more confident. You need to correct these irrational thoughts before they take hold. Look up cbt for some more basic info on the issue and then apply it to your own driving.
You need to start driving by yourself everyday using this method, even just short trips around somewhere you know, and gradually build it up. I hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I had the same problem when I passed my test I learned in a diesel and now have a petrol just remember to accelerate before you let ur clutch out fully and if ur nervous just drive short distances by urself and you'll eventually get ur confidence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending