The Student Room Group

Starting to feel nervous again about my driving lessons

To try and keep this as short n simple as I can basically I’ve been doing lessons for a good while now, ngl probably a good bit longer than most ppl who have done them and then went onto pass their test I feel like. I had my test in November there and failed because of one thing, I was literally kicking myself for it.

Anyways I have my second attempt coming up in under 2 weeks and I have a driving lesson later on. Lately ever since I failed that last test I feel as though I’m becoming more nervous before my lessons and I feel as though I’m making more silly mistakes.

I was always one for feeling nervous before my lessons which at the start was because of my instructor but I’ve changed instructors since. I then felt absolutely fine and confident enough before my lessons but now I’m back to the anxiousness again. My instructors literally fine as well but I think it’s this failed test and the mistakes I’ve been making recently that are worrying me more now.
Reply 1
Original post by Larryflax
Have ice in your veins. The driving test is a privilege to be in. Thousands of people today found out their mother has cancer today, you cannot sit there and be nervous about your driving test.

Sorry what? There’s no need for a reply like that thank you. I’m aware that there are worse problems going on in the world trust me but it doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to be anxious or feel the way that I feel about my situation.
Original post by Newtothis_24
To try and keep this as short n simple as I can basically I’ve been doing lessons for a good while now, ngl probably a good bit longer than most ppl who have done them and then went onto pass their test I feel like. I had my test in November there and failed because of one thing, I was literally kicking myself for it.

Anyways I have my second attempt coming up in under 2 weeks and I have a driving lesson later on. Lately ever since I failed that last test I feel as though I’m becoming more nervous before my lessons and I feel as though I’m making more silly mistakes.

I was always one for feeling nervous before my lessons which at the start was because of my instructor but I’ve changed instructors since. I then felt absolutely fine and confident enough before my lessons but now I’m back to the anxiousness again. My instructors literally fine as well but I think it’s this failed test and the mistakes I’ve been making recently that are worrying me more now.

You are not alone. It's so tough to try and tell yourself to stay relaxed for these pressure situations. The brain doesn't always want to listen! How about trying some meditation beforehand to calm yourself down and ground yourself, or do something distracting that you enjoy so you don't work yourself up too much about it beforehand. Positive visualisation also helps lots of people...imagine yourself in that car doing everything right...you've got this!

Good luck with the test! All the best people pass 2nd time 😉 Let us know how you get on!
Reply 3
Original post by ChrisN
You are not alone. It's so tough to try and tell yourself to stay relaxed for these pressure situations. The brain doesn't always want to listen! How about trying some meditation beforehand to calm yourself down and ground yourself, or do something distracting that you enjoy so you don't work yourself up too much about it beforehand. Positive visualisation also helps lots of people...imagine yourself in that car doing everything right...you've got this!

Good luck with the test! All the best people pass 2nd time 😉 Let us know how you get on!

Thank you sm! Just had my lesson there which went really well actually, feel good about it so at least I’m not any more nervous for my test than I was previously.
Great to hear! 💪
Reply 5
Original post by ChrisN

Little update unfortunately I failed again :frown: so unlucky as I wasn’t actually feeling too nervous beforehand and even in my lesson before I was doing quite well but awk. I’ve got another one booked, just need to look for cancellations.
Original post by ChrisN

Little update unfortunately I failed again :frown: so unlucky as I wasn’t actually feeling too nervous beforehand and even in my lesson before I was doing quite well but awk. I’ve got another one booked, just need to look for cancellations.

Don’t worry about failing. If you need to take a break from driving to help your mental health then take it. There’ll be plenty of opportunities to learn later on but don’t let it get you down

I completely understand how you feel, when I was learning (on and off for about 4 years) and I failed my first test I wanted to give up and the nerves really took over. I know how frustrating it can feel because you know you're ready to pass but sometimes it can be the smallest mistake that means you don't - however, I persevered and actually didn't pass until my 4th test! I remember I was shaking so much I couldn't pick up my provisional license to hand to the instructor.. eek!

It's really not that big of a deal though, passing first time is hard and doesn't mean anything about how good of a driver you'll be. Don't let it deter you and look into ways to help manage your nerves. I did a 2 hour lesson just before my test which helped, ate a good meal before and tried stuff like calms which is available over the counter. Basically find something that works for you and then when you do pass you'll look back and be glad you didn't give up!

Good luck 🙂

Oh dear - don't worry about it, just go again, and do what you can to help yourself on the nerve calming front. I put a few ideas above, but there will be loads of other techniques that could work for you - dedicate an hour to finding some, and stick to them rigorously as part of your test prep.

If you are feeling like you are at the right standard in your lessons, then it sounds to me like it's all down to nerve management, rather than anything fundamental. You will get there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending