The Student Room Group

Driving a car

I haven’t had a driving lesson since 2020 3 years ago, this was before I began learning how to drive in an automatic car. I began taking lessons on the 24th February this year and had difficulty adjusting to the new roads, which I got used to in the end. However I am struggling with controlling the car, especially when on the road; what I mean is, when I think a vehicle is going to hit the car I panic and veer to the left to avoid hitting the vehicle.

Plus next week I have a lesson with the senior management team, and am feeling very anxious. What can I do to improve my driving skills and maintain control of the car?
Reply 1
Original post by Waleedrehman326
I haven’t had a driving lesson since 2020 3 years ago, this was before I began learning how to drive in an automatic car. I began taking lessons on the 24th February this year and had difficulty adjusting to the new roads, which I got used to in the end. However I am struggling with controlling the car, especially when on the road; what I mean is, when I think a vehicle is going to hit the car I panic and veer to the left to avoid hitting the vehicle.

Plus next week I have a lesson with the senior management team, and am feeling very anxious. What can I do to improve my driving skills and maintain control of the car?

See if you can practice on private land, such as abandoned airfields (although contact the landowner first). Obvs this will be harder if you live in a city but you could also try early in the morning, especially at weekends as the roads will be quieter
Original post by yogo1o
See if you can practice on private land, such as abandoned airfields (although contact the landowner first). Obvs this will be harder if you live in a city but you could also try early in the morning, especially at weekends as the roads will be quieter

Normally I practice around areas I’m familiar with, but what should I do because I have a lesson with the senior management team from GTD Driving School
Normally I practice around areas I’m familiar with, but what should I do because I have a lesson with the senior management team from GTD Driving School

If it's a lesson why don't you tell them "I'm still having trouble judging my distance from other traffic" and see what advice they give?
Original post by Admit-One
If it's a lesson why don't you tell them "I'm still having trouble judging my distance from other traffic" and see what advice they give?

I’ll let them know on Tuesday when I have my lesson, truth be told I veered to the left twice now, what should I do differently so that doesn’t happen
I’ll let them know on Tuesday when I have my lesson, truth be told I veered to the left twice now, what should I do differently so that doesn’t happen

Sounds like you need to build up a bit of confidence that you are maintaining the right position in lane. Some of that is experience but you should also ask your instructor if they have any tips on orientating yourself, (I sometimes glance in my side mirrors to see where I am in relation to the kerb and white lines).
Reply 6
I think driving would always be a bit nerve-wrecking and your nerves just get away with time and being more experienced. Sometimes you just gotta hope for the best and go for it. As long as you don't hit a pedestrian. And your driving instructor should be pretty helpful. They can tell when you are really about to hit something and they are going to help you with your steering and nudge your steering wheel. Don't stress!
Original post by Admit-One
Sounds like you need to build up a bit of confidence that you are maintaining the right position in lane. Some of that is experience but you should also ask your instructor if they have any tips on orientating yourself, (I sometimes glance in my side mirrors to see where I am in relation to the kerb and white lines).

Thanks for the suggestion I appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending