The Student Room Group

University Doubts

So I’ve decided on going to Futureworks (located in Salford) but after going to the open day it’s kinda like hit me that I’ll be going to university.

Manchester is about 150-200 miles away from my home down and the anxieties of moving that far are kicking in. Is this a bad idea? What if I don’t like university or my dorms?

The course looks amazing, the city is nice but very different from the cities I’m used to (Newcastle/Edinburgh).

I guess it’s just pre uni anxiety but as the first person in my family to go to uni, I’m scared as hell.
Original post by Misutii
So I’ve decided on going to Futureworks (located in Salford) but after going to the open day it’s kinda like hit me that I’ll be going to university.

Manchester is about 150-200 miles away from my home down and the anxieties of moving that far are kicking in. Is this a bad idea? What if I don’t like university or my dorms?

The course looks amazing, the city is nice but very different from the cities I’m used to (Newcastle/Edinburgh).

I guess it’s just pre uni anxiety but as the first person in my family to go to uni, I’m scared as hell.

Definitely uni nerves. My eldest uni is in Lancaster (were in nottingham and she is a first gen too) . Its not so much about the distance, its how you use your time at uni.
When it comes to freshers week use that time to keep busy meeting lots of people, joining lots of socials and societies, go to the subject meet ups if they have them. Join freshers groups on social media before starting uni. Go out with your new friends and visit the city during that first week, get to know your new home.
We purposely made sure we didn't contact her so she wouldn't get all homesick. She text once asking where I put the fairy light batteries. Thats another thing, we put everything in her room, but let her do all the decorating and setting things out her way. She brought things from her room that also made it feel like home for her. By the time we made contact she had that much to say we was chatting for about 3 hours on facetime lol. We now contact twice a week (shes second year now), some people contact less than that but its what you feel comfy with. Halfway through term we would meet up for a weekend. This breaks it up a bit into chunks to make it more manageable. Plus she also did plenty of walks too, which is great for mental health :smile:
Anyways, this is what we did, so I hope that gives you a few ideas to make the uni more enjoyable and less homesick.

One good thing is your used to Newcastle and Edinburgh which are busy cities and Manchester has great transport links as well, so if ever you want to catch the train home half way through term you can.
Original post by Misutii

Hello,

Congratulations on making your first step and looking forward to the future.

It is definitely an unnerving experience and anxiety around it is so common. I have friends at YSJ who are from London and they are really happy and do not mind the distance at all. You have to be fairly independent but it is so worthwhile.

There is always chance to adjust and the support teams at the university will be able to help if you encounter any problems. However, I do think this is very unlikely and it is easy to let your mind go to the worst.

When you get there you can join a society which is a great way to make friends as you are with lots of like minded people. Your halls will give you flat mates which is another easy way to make friends. Get to as many welcome events as you can with them. Even sticking the kettle on and asking if anyone would like a hot drink can take relationships a long way.

Sometimes a change is nice and if you have found you want to go to this university then you are probably needing it!

If you are really worried then you could have a look around some universities closer to you and go through adjustment if you feel more comfortable there. However, I do think it is sometimes just a leap of faith and nothing is irreversible. Links from Newcastle to Manchester are great as well so in that sense home won't feel so far away.

I hope this helps,
Lydia :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Misutii

hey,
i am going to future works too and I am studying independent film making and I am beyond nervous but I think you should take the leap
Futureworks is absolutely ****. Dropped out in second year. Student support is non existent and no student life.
Original post by Misutii

Hi @Misutii

I definitely think it might be just nerves! Travelling far can be daunting (understandably), but you are absolutely capable of doing amazing at uni! I would absolutely recommend getting in touch with academic advisors, such as those that help you learn how to write essays, reference and study. This way, you can equip yourself with the skills needed to stay on top of everything as best as possible! If you do struggle, don't hesitate to get in touch with the Wellbeing Support team.

I wish you the best of luck!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Reply 6
Original post by Misutii

hi
im also going to futureworks in September
i currently live in ireland so ill be moving quite far from home so i completely understand your anxiety!
what course are you studying? (:
Reply 7
Original post by amy24v
hi
im also going to futureworks in September
i currently live in ireland so ill be moving quite far from home so i completely understand your anxiety!
what course are you studying? (:

Ah well I hope you enjoy it as much as I am! I take Games Design, I was lucky to find a group of friends over the Futureworks discord who like DND. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending