The Student Room Group

history aqa HIS1A - crusades

Scroll to see replies

Argh! I did the castles question because we'd gone through it in lessons before but I linked it with castles being used for defence, symbol of power but then said that military orders were more useful :mad:
Honestly don't know if that was right but I knew examples like Kerak, Jacob's Ford and Belvoir so hoping I'll get brownie points.
Was so annoyed the Fourth Crusade didn't come up, ah well, it may do in the re-sit!!
Reply 21
Original post by pie-inator
Oh I hope so as well. I felt sorry for the people who did that since I knew they did know their stuff and studied hard. The problem with the castles question was that it asked how they are used to defend and many could have missed the 'defend' part and wrote what castles were generally used for. Examples would have been a bit difficult. The examiners will hopefully be more sympathetic as they know many won't choose that question and they tend to be a little bit softer on those ones and harder on popular questions.
I also found that it was usually 53-55-ish which also surprised me. You have to remember however that it's hard to get completely full marks and you might lose quite a few so it's pretty decent. If you know your stuff, you should be able to do well so I think it's fair enough. They're probably low since the crusades topic is quite a challenging one - it requires you to know a lot of background knowledge so you could understand the actual events

yeah and it only allowed you to talk about castles rather than most 24a which allow you to bring in your own point's, if it said were castles the most important in the defense of outremer it would have been fairer as you could bring in the barons and the orders
Original post by monopoly999
Yeah thats what I thought, what questions did you pick??

I did the first and third crusade, I didn't even revise castles! I can't see how they are so significant to write a 24 marker on :smile:
Btw - does anyone remember what the 12 marker was the 2nd section (which went with 24 mrk castles)? It's been really bugging me since I couldn't remember it when people asked me

It was explain the lack of outsider help for the Outremer between the third and fourth crusade, I think- the exam is just a haze now!!
Original post by housecaptain
Argh! I did the castles question because we'd gone through it in lessons before but I linked it with castles being used for defence, symbol of power but then said that military orders were more useful :mad:
Honestly don't know if that was right but I knew examples like Kerak, Jacob's Ford and Belvoir so hoping I'll get brownie points.
Was so annoyed the Fourth Crusade didn't come up, ah well, it may do in the re-sit!!

Hopefully those should be enough! They are supposed to go easier on you (unless they're one of those mean examiners who hate kids) since it was a pretty difficult question

Original post by ashley2197
I did the first and third crusade, I didn't even revise castles! I can't see how they are so significant to write a 24 marker on :smile:

Yeah XD I didn't even revise the feudal structure or the fourth crusade! Those were the topics I hated a lot and were very unlikely to come up

Original post by housecaptain
It was explain the lack of outsider help for the Outremer between the third and fourth crusade, I think- the exam is just a haze now!!

Oh yeah! Thanks :biggrin:
Haha yeah, tends to happen all the time XD You come out and think - what just happened?
yeah and it only allowed you to talk about castles rather than most 24a which allow you to bring in your own point's, if it said were castles the most important in the defense of outremer it would have been fairer as you could bring in the barons and the orders

Yep. A pretty unusual 24 marker. To be fair though, the first crusade 24 marker was also something I've never seen before since it was about why people went on the crusade (which usually came up as 12 markers in the past). Thankfully there are so many reasons and examples that it was enough to fill in as a 24 marker
Reply 26
Btw - does anyone remember what the 12 marker was the 2nd section (which went with 24 mrk castles)? It's been really bugging me since I couldn't remember it when people asked me

It was something like why did outremer not recieve much help between the second and third crusade
It was something like why did outremer not recieve much help between the second and third crusade

Yeah... It was my second reason for avoiding that section...
Reply 28
Yep. A pretty unusual 24 marker. To be fair though, the first crusade 24 marker was also something I've never seen before since it was about why people went on the crusade (which usually came up as 12 markers in the past). Thankfully there are so many reasons and examples that it was enough to fill in as a 24 marker

Yeah it is normally a 12 marker but has come up as a 24 marker twice before , one example was ' 'was spiritual benefits the biggest motivation for participants on the first crusade''
Yeah it is normally a 12 marker but has come up as a 24 marker twice before , one example was ' 'was spiritual benefits the biggest motivation for participants on the first crusade''

Oh maybe I just forgot or something haha. Well either way it would make sense for it to be a 24 marker with the amount of detail that topic has. I was really hoping that a question would come up on the reasons of why people went on the first crusade since there is so much to say - lucky year, this is! Wasn't last year's exam also easy? I was worried that it would mean this year's exam would be harder...
Reply 30
Oh maybe I just forgot or something haha. Well either way it would make sense for it to be a 24 marker with the amount of detail that topic has. I was really hoping that a question would come up on the reasons of why people went on the first crusade since there is so much to say - lucky year, this is! Wasn't last year's exam also easy? I was worried that it would mean this year's exam would be harder...

Yeah the previous exam was said to be one of the easiest exams , so I also thought this one would be harder , but I still think this exam was considered to be hard compared to quite a few others
Yeah the previous exam was said to be one of the easiest exams , so I also thought this one would be harder , but I still think this exam was considered to be hard compared to quite a few others

My worries exactly! The previous exam was very easy and basic and I kept thinking 'dammit, I wish we could get this one!'. Strangely many have said that this was a hard-ish exam and I was a bit surprised. I really hope it wasn't because I was doing something wrong >.< Well I think it would be considered hard if you had to do the 2nd section but like I said before - I thought the 1st and 3rd sections were pretty decent
Hello!I'm studying this unit as a private candidate and was hoping I could get a recommendation for a textbook? I've looked up the books on AQAs resource list but my mum's a teacher and said the exam board recommendations can be useless sometimes!If anyone can remember the name of their textbook and found it useful I'd be very grateful!Thanks
Reply 33
Good luck to everyone sitting the exam tomorrow! I'm resitting from last year, let's hope it goes better (ie. no more dodgey castle questions :smile: )
I am resitting from 2 years ago! Hopefully the fourth crusade comes up!
Reply 35
Original post by neal95
I am resitting from 2 years ago! Hopefully the fourth crusade comes up!

How did you find it? Fourth crusade was on there aha lucky you! I didnt do that question though. Thought the first set was a gift! But found the second ones a bit harder because I wasn't too strong on the fourth crusade or the military orders!
Original post by Bonanza
How did you find it? Fourth crusade was on there aha lucky you! I didnt do that question though. Thought the first set was a gift! But found the second ones a bit harder because I wasn't too strong on the fourth crusade or the military orders!

the the questions were literally my dream for the fourth crusade as I revised the **** out of it due to it being smaller in content than the others and I found it a bit easier to talk about than the second crusade which is my least favourite. I would have gone for the second set if questions but I didn't like the 12 marker although the collapse of the states due to the succession crisis looked good. How did you find the paper? Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low because from what I heard outside the exam hall people were hating the questions
Reply 37
Original post by neal95
the the questions were literally my dream for the fourth crusade as I revised the **** out of it due to it being smaller in content than the others and I found it a bit easier to talk about than the second crusade which is my least favourite. I would have gone for the second set if questions but I didn't like the 12 marker although the collapse of the states due to the succession crisis looked good. How did you find the paper? Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low because from what I heard outside the exam hall people were hating the questions

Overall it was a decent paper I thought. Different topics etc but I can see why some people thought the last two sets of questions were hard because they relied on knowledge of the military orders and fourth crusade which I imagine a few people didnt revise in depth. The first question will definitely have been the most popular, but not sure between the other two. I was initially put off by the military orders 12 marker but then saw the 24 and decided that was the better option for me!
Let's hope the boundaries are low! Was definitely a better paper than the one I sat last year though!
I didn't switch the paper last year but from what I heave witnessed a lot of people seem to underestimate the fourth crusade and don't bother revising it. I didn't mind that 24 marker but thought I might lose marks on the military orders one. I guess there's only so much you can write for that haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending