The Student Room Group

OCR B Physics G494 June 11th 2014 Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for the resources. They're pretty helpful for some final revision.
Reply 21
Past papers and mark schemes are your friend if you think you know practically everything so you can say stuff how they like.
Reply 22
Original post by jahove326
Hi,
Can someone help me with question 6b on June 2010,
To work out the internal energy in the tyre, why can you use 3/2NKT and NKT to get the answer.
Which one is better to use , and where does the 3/2 come from . Thanks

You can use either one really the 3/2 constant is only really true for ideal gases but you can use the equation for pretty much anything, however the constant will be slightly different. Since the constant changes we completely disregard it since the the equation without it still gives you a good enough estimate for the energy within the system.

I hope that answered your question. You can read more about it in the IOP advancing physics B book page 112.
Original post by jahove326
Hi,
Can someone help me with question 6b on June 2010,
To work out the internal energy in the tyre, why can you use 3/2NKT and NKT to get the answer.
Which one is better to use , and where does the 3/2 come from . Thanks

When you add 1/2 behind some sort of formula to work out thermal energy you are taking into account the oscillation of one particle in one plane. There's a whole way beyond a-level explanation why it's "1/2KT" - but the main fact is that you're taking into account a certain movement. Since particles move in 3 dimensions, it's 3*1/2KT=3/2KT. This can also be applied for NKT, therefore becoming 3/2NKT.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 24
Hardest topic?
I'm surprised this thread is so dead.
Reply 26
Hey, could somebody explain question 4, January 2013, please?

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/144798-question-paper-unit-g494-01-rise-and-fall-of-the-clockwork-universe.pdf

As always it's probably something really simple that I've missed. The answer is the first and last box; I understand the last but not the first. I'm not sure how to calculate the energy stored on a capacitor at a given time?

Reply 27
hi guys
Reply 28
Hi guys, I'll give you a chance to test your knowledge by helping me here. The question is 11 on June 2011 (http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/62268-question-paper-unit-g494-rise-and-fall-of-the-clockwork-universe.pdf)

I can't do part b).

Other than this, I'm finding the papers reasonably easy. How about you guys? How many exams has everyone had/got left? I've done 6 and I've got 5 left.
Original post by m00c0w
Hi guys, I'll give you a chance to test your knowledge by helping me here. The question is 11 on June 2011 (http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/62268-question-paper-unit-g494-rise-and-fall-of-the-clockwork-universe.pdf)

I can't do part b).

Other than this, I'm finding the papers reasonably easy. How about you guys? How many exams has everyone had/got left? I've done 6 and I've got 5 left.

I'm not the brightest student but I will attempt to give my helping hand.

Bi) You have previously worked out/been told that the resistance is 38000(Ohms) whilst the capacitance is 1000x10^-6(Farrads). The product of these is the time constant (RC). This is constant throughout the table at a value of 38. The time interval (delta)t is 20 seconds and the charge is in the 2nd column. Put these values into the formula given in the heading of the third column and you have your loss of charge. Add this value (Remember it is negative) to the initial charge for that time frame to get the new charge for the next row and so on.

Bii)The model assumes that the charge is constant throughout the time interval with the value that is given at the start of the time interval, in reality it is dropping all the time (Exponential decay). This means that the discharge value (-Q) is too big and therefore causes the discrepancy between the two sets of data as the model removes more charge then it should each time interval.

Sorry if this made absolutely no sense..
Reply 30
Original post by DanielCook95
I'm not the brightest student but I will attempt to give my helping hand.

Bi) You have previously worked out/been told that the resistance is 38000(Ohms) whilst the capacitance is 1000x10^-6(Farrads). The product of these is the time constant (RC). This is constant throughout the table at a value of 38. The time interval (delta)t is 20 seconds and the charge is in the 2nd column. Put these values into the formula given in the heading of the third column and you have your loss of charge. Add this value (Remember it is negative) to the initial charge for that time frame to get the new charge for the next row and so on.

Bii)The model assumes that the charge is constant throughout the time interval with the value that is given at the start of the time interval, in reality it is dropping all the time (Exponential decay). This means that the discharge value (-Q) is too big and therefore causes the discrepancy between the two sets of data as the model removes more charge then it should each time interval.

Sorry if this made absolutely no sense..

Thank you so much! I knew it had to be something simple, but I just couldn't see how to get the Q for the next row. It never occurred to me that it could be something as "complicated" as adding the Q and delta Q from the previous row. Hopefully I won't do something like that tomorrow!

Many thanks again!
Original post by m00c0w
Thank you so much! I knew it had to be something simple, but I just couldn't see how to get the Q for the next row. It never occurred to me that it could be something as "complicated" as adding the Q and delta Q from the previous row. Hopefully I won't do something like that tomorrow!

Many thanks again!

No worries. I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 32
Could anyone please help me with the following question. Even after looking at the mark scheme I can't get the correct answer. Question 4(b) on June 2010.

June 2010 - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59861-question-paper-unit-g494-rise-and-fall-of-the-clockwork-universe.pdf
Reply 33
Original post by noreld
Could anyone please help me with the following question. Even after looking at the mark scheme I can't get the correct answer. Question 4(b) on June 2010.

June 2010 - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59861-question-paper-unit-g494-rise-and-fall-of-the-clockwork-universe.pdf

A=Lambda x N

So just as N=Noe^-(lambda x t)
A=Aoe^-(lambda x t)

Edit: They give you both Ao and lambda.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
Was just about to answer but it looks like I've been beaten :P also, not to sound patronising or anything, but make sure you read the question properly, I nearly missed the FIFTY years when doing the calculation (because they gave the conversion for a year in seconds and I typed that in), even though the activity after fifty years was the whole point of the question.
Could someone help me with question 12C, June 2010 please;

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/59861-question-paper-unit-g494-rise-and-fall-of-the-clockwork-universe.pdf

I'm so bad with oscillating springs it's unbelievable. Thank you!
First calculate the acceleration of the mass using the equation they have given (a=-50x). Once you've calculated the acceleration plug this value into a suvat equation to find the final velocity. (v=u+at). Once your final velocity has been calculated you must find the average of these values ((v+u)/2) and then using s = ut find your displacement. Now add this value to your initial displacement and you have calculated the total displacement from the equilibrium point!
Reply 37
Original post by jaetpa
Was just about to answer but it looks like I've been beaten :P also, not to sound patronising or anything, but make sure you read the question properly, I nearly missed the FIFTY years when doing the calculation (because they gave the conversion for a year in seconds and I typed that in), even though the activity after fifty years was the whole point of the question.

Thank you, I made the silly mistake of not reading the question properly. Hopefully I don't make the same mistake in the exam.
Reply 38
Yeah, same, I'm usually good with stuff like that in the exams, but in the mocks I've been doing recently, it's been as if there were lines that were invisible to me! Well, I gotta get some sleep, good luck with your exam! :smile:
Original post by samfoster18
First calculate the acceleration of the mass using the equation they have given (a=-50x). Once you've calculated the acceleration plug this value into a suvat equation to find the final velocity. (v=u+at). Once your final velocity has been calculated you must find the average of these values ((v+u)/2) and then using s = ut find your displacement. Now add this value to your initial displacement and you have calculated the total displacement from the equilibrium point!

Thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending