The Student Room Group

OCR B Physics G494 June 11th 2014 Unit 4

Scroll to see replies

Anyone get 4.6 x 10^19 m for the distance of the galaxy away from Earth?
Reply 81
Original post by VARRRDAQ
I think so anyway - what did you put as your second point?

Lol nothing I just kkinda repeated myself I think. So 1 mark. I said like max amplitude due to resonance will be lower as damping causes amplitude to be lower....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RATKING
Ahh I didn't mention energy. That was probably the second mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

got me too :P
Reply 83
Yeah that rings a bell. Did you work out the change in gravitational potential energy and equate that to the gain in kinetic energy?
Reply 84
Original post by Expert #7451
I got something a lot higher than that. I had to assume that if KE didn't change, then mass had to change to maintain KE and the inevitably different velocity.

I got something like the asteroid's mass was reduced to 100kg, and that when it got to the earth's orbit it would have reached a velocity of approximately 42000 m/s.

Hmm that's a good point about the mass. I calculated the total energy of the Asteroid with its initial KE and PE and then did some wierd manipulations using its new PE at earth's radius to somehow get 19200. :confused:
Reply 85
Original post by CrystalPlanet
Was it an an asteroid or comet? Because I got a high value for that question which is roughly the speed of a comet near Earth..

Edit: I remember it weighed 500kgs? That would be more like the weight of a comet; I got around 37000m/s. Anyone else?

i got something like that too.
to be honest, it seems that people found it hard in general. we all know how many marks you can lose and still get a good mark. it's not like maths where it's generally 80% for an A. hope that reassures you guys, i got baffled on a few parts too, but have to concentrate on next exams now. g495 is the scary one xD
Original post by Fillly
Hmm that's a good point about the mass. I calculated the total energy of the Asteroid with its initial KE and PE and then did some wierd manipulations using its new PE at earth's radius to somehow get 19200. :confused:

yeah I alos got 1.9 X10^4, but realised it must have been wrong because it was the same as the initial speed if you checked back, so I think we may have both made the same mistake
Original post by Expert #7451
I got something a lot higher than that. I had to assume that if KE didn't change, then mass had to change to maintain KE and the inevitably different velocity.

I got something like the asteroid's mass was reduced to 100kg, and that when it got to the earth's orbit it would have reached a velocity of approximately 42000 m/s.

How did the mass reduce?
Was it an an asteroid or comet? Because I got a high value for that question which is roughly the speed of a comet near Earth..

Edit: I remember it weighed 500kgs? That would be more like the weight of a comet; I got around 37000m/s. Anyone else?

I got something around that too.
Reply 90
Original post by chi80
i got something like that too.

Same here.
Reply 91

Yeah I have the value 3.76X10^4 stored on my calculator
How did the mass reduce?

Yea pretty sure the mass doesn't change - the weight changes.
Original post by Dan1300
Yeah that rings a bell. Did you work out the change in gravitational potential energy and equate that to the gain in kinetic energy?

personally i got stuck on that question and very quickly moved on :P
For the Hubble's law what did people get?
that was a tricky paper
Reply 96
Reactions to the exam?
Reply 97
For the Hubble's law what did people get?

I can't remember the figure but you just do 1/the age of the universe to get the hubble constant, and then use v=H0d to work out d
Reply 98
For the asteroid question I didn't say explicitly that the gain in KE was equal to the loss of GPE. I got around 37700m/s which other people seem to have got. IF this is right, do you think I will get BOD (Benefit of Doubt) for not stating my assumption? You weren't asked to state assumptions.
Yea pretty sure the mass doesn't change - the weight changes.

But weight is to do with the force of attraction; the total energy is still conserved, so even if the weight is changes it is taken into account when you equate the total potential energy to the gravitational potential and kinetic energy per mass. That way velocity can be worked out. If I'm wrong correct me, I'd really like to know whether I got this question right haha. Considering it was 4 marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending