The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yes, Charon (because the barycentre of the orbit lies outside the sphere of Pluto).

Pluto would be (officially) a double planet!
username24
Yes, Charon (because the barycentre of the orbit lies outside the sphere of Pluto).

Pluto would be (officially) a double planet!

Yeah, sorry, I meant other than Charon, such as our own moon, or any of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn, such as Titan, Europa or Io, as I understand they maybe amongst some of the lager moons, perhaps larger than Pluto itself (diameter and mass). In a way they orbit the sun too.
Reply 42
Nope, sorry. I'd like a definition that ignores orbital characteristics entirely. No-one declares galaxies not to be galaxies because they orbit other galaxies, or stars not to be stars if they orbit another star. But a planetary body that orbits another planet? 'moon' . Tsk.
bunthulhu
So you would re-define Asteroids, comets, Kuiper Belt objects and objects within the Oort Cloud, as planets? :p:

Nope but then i dont know muh about the solar system save the 10 planets and one big asteroid belt inbetween mars and Jupiter.

On this one bun i pass the torch to you as i dont really know more than what several sci-films and my school science class have taught me lol
Cadre_Of_Storms
Nope but then i dont know muh about the solar system save the 10 planets and one big asteroid belt inbetween mars and Jupiter.

On this one bun i pass the torch to you as i dont really know more than what several sci-films and my school science class have taught me lol

Haha, wooo! Well I'm studying this at Uni so I am in my one and only element :biggrin:

username24
Nope, sorry. I'd like a definition that ignores orbital characteristics entirely. No-one declares galaxies not to be galaxies because they orbit other galaxies, or stars not to be stars if they orbit another star. But a planetary body that orbits another planet? 'moon' . Tsk.

In essence then you would be willing to define anything big enough within our own solar system, as a planet? I really don't like that idea to be honest, I think it would be ridiculous to class an Asteroid under the same definition as Jupiter :mad: :confused: And as for moons, well they don't even orbit the Sun! Surely the most basic criteria (before size...) is that they orbit the sun? Moons are just satellites of a planet, they really have nothing to do with the Sun, if you picked up that planet and it's moon system and plonked it in another solar system, that planet would now orbit the new Sun, but the moon system wouldn't care, it'd keep orbiting that same planet :p:

Surely the science would become much less exact if you de-categorised everything and plonked it all together, completely neglecting the distinct characteristics of each group and pretending they're all the same? It just seems like a waste of time to be honest :confused:
bunthulhu
Haha, wooo! Well I'm studying this at Uni so I am in my one and only element :biggrin:

In essence then you would be willing to define anything big enough within our own solar system, as a planet? I really don't like that idea to be honest, I think it would be ridiculous to class an Asteroid under the same definition as Jupiter :mad: :confused: And as for moons, well they don't even orbit the Sun! Surely the most basic criteria (before size...) is that they orbit the sun? Moons are just satellites of a planet, they really have nothing to do with the Sun, if you picked up that planet and it's moon system and plonked it in another solar system, that planet would now orbit the new Sun, but the moon system wouldn't care, it'd keep orbiting that same planet :p:

Surely the science would become much less exact if you de-categorised everything and plonked it all together, completely neglecting the distinct characteristics of each group and pretending they're all the same? It just seems like a waste of time to be honest :confused:

But surely the only wy to distinguish between two objects being a Moon and a Planet is to look at their relative size. For example with the Earth and our Moon, theEarth is much bigger.

But in reality, don't the Earth and the Moon also orbit each other, like Pluto and Charon do? Only due to the huge difference in size between the Earth and our Moon it is much less noticeable with the Moon appearing to orbit the Earth, probably because the point the both orbit each other around is actually inside the Earth.

So why should we make a distinction solely based on size like this?

A similar thing happens between planets and te sun, they orbit each other around another point, again, it's almost unnoticable and appears like the planets only go around the sun (I'm sure we were told all this in my Intro to astrophysics module at uni). So then you really need other criteria to identify a star from a planet, such as nuclear fusion taking place within the object, or at least being extremely massive (if we are to consider thinks like brown dwarfs potentially being stars (are they normally classed as stars or planets? and they don't actually have and fusion taking place in them do they?).
Roger Kirk
But surely the only wy to distinguish between two objects being a Moon and a Planet is to look at their relative size. For example with the Earth and our Moon, theEarth is much bigger.

But in reality, don't the Earth and the Moon also orbit each other, like Pluto and Charon do? Only due to the huge difference in size between the Earth and our Moon it is much less noticeable with the Moon appearing to orbit the Earth, probably because the point the both orbit each other around is actually inside the Earth.

So why should we make a distinction solely based on size like this?

A similar thing happens between planets and te sun, they orbit each other around another point, again, it's almost unnoticable and appears like the planets only go around the sun (I'm sure we were told all this in my Intro to astrophysics module at uni). So then you really need other criteria to identify a star from a planet, such as nuclear fusion taking place within the object, or at least being extremely massive (if we are to consider thinks like brown dwarfs potentially being stars (are they normally classed as stars or planets? and they don't actually have and fusion taking place in them do they?).

But the Earth orbits the Sun whereas the moon technically does not...no? :confused:

Brown Dwarfs are classified as stars, I guess because of their composition and for the fact that had their mass been slightly larger they could have begun nuclear fusion. But they haven't been discovered yet, have they? :p:

And you can't really say 'oh it's just because of size, that's the only difference' - size is incredibly important as of course that has a lot to do with the mass of the objects - and the mass determines the gravitational force which is what causes the orbit in the first place. In that sense I think that it is fairly reasonable for, say for example with the Earth and moon, to classify the Earth as the planet, and the Moon as, well, a moon :p: Yes they do have a common centre of mass but it is inside the Earth - perhaps that could be a crucial point? :smile:
Reply 47
liowood
its the little quirks in science that make it so entertaining, i say yes!

How is this science? This is astro-geography (cosmography?). Nothing new is being observed, it's just renaming an existing phenomena.

This is a very important topic for discussion. It is vital that we set a precedent for naming Pluto-sized stellar-orbit objects. That way we can quickly and easily decide exactly how many planets any given system has, which is vital for the long-distance space tourism industry. Imagine the stink if Thomas Cook listed Alpha Centuri as having 12 planets when in fact it only has 9 - people would sue! :rolleyes:
I bet the guy who discovered it is be turning in his grave.:p:

I'm not sure really, If they want Pluto to keep the 'planet' title then I think that '2003 UB313' thing should be named a planet. If they aren't willing to officially name that a planet, then I think Pluto should lose its seniority.

EDIT: I didn't realise our moon was as big as that, in relation to the size of the Earth.
i think its a bit late to change it now, my younger brother would be gutted. anyway, whatever its called, it is what it is
bunthulhu
But the Earth orbits the Sun whereas the moon technically does not...no? :confused:
Look at the path the Moon takes over the course of exactly one year, it'll be back exactly where it started from one year earlier with the path en-circling the Sun. It might not be a perfect ellipse, but then neither is that of the Earth technically due to the slight effect the Moon will have on the orbit.

Brown Dwarfs are classified as stars, I guess because of their composition and for the fact that had their mass been slightly larger they could have begun nuclear fusion. But they haven't been discovered yet, have they? :p:
I've just looked this up....they are classed as 'sub-stellar objects' as they haven't enough mass to start nuclear fusion, but have convective surfaces and interiors like proper stars do. And yeah, the have actually been identified now..which is an amazing this to say they are so small and dim and distant :biggrin:

And you can't really say 'oh it's just because of size, that's the only difference' - size is incredibly important as of course that has a lot to do with the mass of the objects - and the mass determines the gravitational force which is what causes the orbit in the first place. In that sense I think that it is fairly reasonable for, say for example with the Earth and moon, to classify the Earth as the planet, and the Moon as, well, a moon :p: Yes they do have a common centre of mass but it is inside the Earth - perhaps that could be a crucial point? :smile:

What if the Earth was orbiting Jupiter? There is probably a similar, if not greater size difference between the Earth and Jupiter than between the Earth and the Moon. Would you want the Earth classified as a moon in that situation even though it would be the 6th largest object in the Solar System?

Perhaps we need to have a set of criteria which defines any object in the solar system as a planet irrespective of how it orbits the sun, so long as it does actually orbit the Sun in some way. If the Moon was to meet these criteria, then perhaps we'd need to start describing the Earth-Moon orbit as a binary-orbital planets, same as the Charon-Pluto orbit.

Just out of interest, do you know of any situation that has been observed where we have one object being orbited by another smaller object and then that smaller object is in turn? They would, if they exist, be trinary-orbital planets (assuming they all met the criteria to be planets).
IU thought the plan was to keep it as a planet but make a new category of planet called 'plutons' including ceres the asteroid pluto charon and the largest kuiper belt objects. this way its still a planet but kinda not. neat hey?
rufus_da_bear
i think its a bit late to change it now, my younger brother would be gutted. anyway, whatever its called, it is what it is

I'm sure he would get over it. So you are against corrections and amendments within the scientific community? You would like to pretend that the Earth is still flat and that electricity still flows the other way round a circuit? :p:

The position and orbital properties of Pluto still remain an important factor against it's classification as a planet, that some people here are missing, but it is a big debating point within the Astronomical community which is trying to make a decision on this :smile:
lakeofcake
IU thought the plan was to keep it as a planet but make a new category of planet called 'plutons' including ceres the asteroid pluto charon and the largest kuiper belt objects. this way its still a planet but kinda not. neat hey?

That is quite an interesting idea actually :smile:
Dyakson
How is this science? This is astro-geography (cosmography?). Nothing new is being observed, it's just renaming an existing phenomena.

This is a very important topic for discussion. It is vital that we set a precedent for naming Pluto-sized stellar-orbit objects. That way we can quickly and easily decide exactly how many planets any given system has, which is vital for the long-distance space tourism industry. Imagine the stink if Thomas Cook listed Alpha Centuri as having 12 planets when in fact it only has 9 - people would sue! :rolleyes:

What ever this is (and I'd argue that it can could classed as science, as it's sort of developing a more rigorous classification system for objects in the universe) I think it's one of the most exciting things to happen with the Solar System since, well, the discovery of Pluto probably.

I can't wait to see the out come....plus I think I'm wanting to keep Pluto as a planet now and bring in loads of other objects. It really will lead to many more people being educated about other objects in the soalr system. So many people will never of heard of Ceres or Charon before.

Also, great to see you looking ahead to commercial space tourism and travel between stars :biggrin:
Roger Kirk
Look at the path the Moon takes over the course of exactly one year, it'll be back exactly where it started from one year earlier with the path en-circling the Sun. It might not be a perfect ellipse, but then neither is that of the Earth technically due to the slight effect the Moon will have on the orbit.

But is this not due to the fact that it is orbiting the Earth, which also ends up in the same place?

Roger Kirk
I've just looked this up....they are classed as 'sub-stellar objects' as they haven't enough mass to start nuclear fusion, but have convective surfaces and interiors like proper stars do. And yeah, the have actually been identified now..which is an amazing this to say they are so small and dim and distant :biggrin:

Ah okay, I didn't realise they'd spotted one yet, that's interesting :smile: So basically it is correct to classify them as stars? I wonder if there is one in the Oort Cloud after all, as one theory goes :smile:

Roger Kirk
What if the Earth was orbiting Jupiter? There is probably a similar, if not greater size difference between the Earth and Jupiter than between the Earth and the Moon. Would you want the Earth classified as a moon in that situation even though it would be the 6th largest object in the Solar System?

Hmmm, I agree this situation would be unusual, but I think I would still classify the Earth as a moon if this were the case :p: Besides, we wouldn't be here to argue about it if it were :biggrin:

Roger Kirk
Perhaps we need to have a set of criteria which defines any object in the solar system as a planet irrespective of how it orbits the sun, so long as it does actually orbit the Sun in some way. If the Moon was to meet these criteria, then perhaps we'd need to start describing the Earth-Moon orbit as a binary-orbital planets, same as the Charon-Pluto orbit.

I just wonder what the point of this would be :p: It just seems a shame to throw away the wonderful definition of the 8 planets as they are, lying on the ecliptic with their mildly elliptical orbits and their lovely inner-outer planet pattern :biggrin:

Roger Kirk
Just out of interest, do you know of any situation that has been observed where we have one object being orbited by another smaller object and then that smaller object is in turn? They would, if they exist, be trinary-orbital planets (assuming they all met the criteria to be planets).

No I don't actually, that's quite an interesting thought. I doubt it would be possible though, surely the third body would be drawn into the orbit of the first, largest body?
Reply 56
bunthulhu

That said, density is even more important, as the moon is a hell of a lot more dense than a lump of ice.
Roger Kirk
What ever this is (and I'd argue that it can could classed as science, as it's sort of developing a more rigorous classification system for objects in the universe) I think it's one of the most exciting things to happen with the Solar System since, well, the discovery of Pluto probably.

I can't wait to see the out come....plus I think I'm wanting to keep Pluto as a planet now and bring in loads of other objects. It really will lead to many more people being educated about other objects in the soalr system. So many people will never of heard of Ceres or Charon before.

Also, great to see you looking ahead to commercial space tourism and travel between stars :biggrin:

Surely the solution to that would be to widen the syllabus and introduce students to the other major objects (or plutons? :p:) within the solar system, rather than just confusing things by leaving a gaping hole in the definition of 'planet' and lobbing in everything in sight? :p:
Mad Vlad
That said, density is even more important, as the moon is a hell of a lot more dense than a lump of ice.

This is true, but the moon is of a lesser density than the Earth even so :smile:
Reply 59
I agree with bunthullu.

Moons are objects that orbit planets. There is a key difference between them! the moon orbits the earth. And because the earth orbits the sun, the moon also travels around it. But principally it is orbitting the earth.

If the earth was orbiting jupiter, then yes earth would be a moon.

Infact it is quite possible in other solar systems that terrestial planets such as earth could be more common as moons around gas giants, than as stand-alone planets.

Latest

Trending

Trending