The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
If people are that concerned, I don't see why Pluto can't still be taught as a planet until people are old enough to understand the difference between Pluto and the other 8 planets. We're often taught simplified things which are actually wrong.
Reply 81
nikki
If people are that concerned, I don't see why Pluto can't still be taught as a planet until people are old enough to understand the difference between Pluto and the other 8 planets. We're often taught simplified things which are actually wrong.

Simple way of teaching that. Don't teach it.
There's 8 planets.
Then at GCSE you can say theres a big blob of ice called Pluto after Neptune.
Looks like the no's have it: Pluto no longer a planet: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/5282440.stm
Reply 83
Roger Kirk
Looks like the no's have it: Pluto no longer a planet: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/5282440.stm

Yeah, just saw that on the BBC site too.
Woohoo :biggrin:
Reply 85
It's a planet I reckon.
It was a planet all thorugh my childhood, what's the point in changing it now?
sol89
It's a planet I reckon.

Because 2500 of the worlds top experts have decided between them that it should never really have been classified as a planet :biggrin: :p:

Don't get all soppy and sentimental...this is scientific classification....it's not like they are denying the existence of Pluto either...just saying it doesn't fit in with what we call a planet, but better fits in with another class of objects :smile:
Reply 87
'Pluto' should be classed as a dog.
sebyevans
'Pluto' should be classed as a dog.

And 'Earth' classed as soil and 'Mars' as a chocolate bar?
Reply 89
sol89
It's a planet I reckon.

As has been said before, hows about we just say that the world is flat, for sentimental value? What's the point in changing the government when they don't perform? Hell, how's about we just stop all human progression because you prefer the status quo?

Grow up.
HAHAHA i was right! I think and VOTED that pluto should not be classed as a planet on this thread.
and guess what?
I WAS RIGHT!
Today a main body of Astroligists took a vote of whether Pluto should be classed as a planet, and overall they voted NO.
(check the news it was on BBC.)
yesisbui
HAHAHA i was right! I think and VOTED that pluto should not be classed as a planet on this thread.
and guess what?
I WAS RIGHT!
Today a main body of Astroligists took a vote of whether Pluto should be classed as a planet, and overall they voted NO.
(check the news it was on BBC.)

Unless this post is a joke, I think you mean astronomers (or maybe astrophysicists), but not astrologers, and I posted a link to the story 8 hours ago :smile:
Reply 92
Roger Kirk
Unless this post is a joke, I think you mean astronomers (or maybe astrophysicists), but not astrologers, and I posted a link to the story 8 hours ago :smile:

:rofl: I've got images of Russell Grant demanding that Pluto be reclassified as it'll:
make my calculations easier
its a shame pluto has been demoted. now it will be forgotton! :frown:
1986 Phoenix Entertainment Factory - Est.
its a shame pluto has been demoted. now it will be forgotton! :frown:

Except by those of us that actually study Astronomy, hmm? :p:
I've been saying all along that it should lose it's status. It makes sense really. If Pluto had been discovered in the past ten years then no one would even argue a case for it being a planet. If Pluto had kept it's status then 2003 UB313, Sedna and half a dozen other objects would have become planets and that is just short-term. Long-term we'd be looking at hundreds.

We're only really just beginning to explore the Kuiper Belt in detail. Plus we haven't even started exploring the Oort Cloud yet which is a lot bigger than the Kuiper Belt. There could be an Earth sized object out there for all we know. Would be interesting if something like that does get discovered.
Reply 96
Sephiroth Leonhart
We're only really just beginning to explore the Kuiper Belt in detail. Plus we haven't even started exploring the Oort Cloud yet which is a lot bigger than the Kuiper Belt. There could be an Earth sized object out there for all we know. Would be interesting if something like that does get discovered.

If we discover Earth sized objects in the Kuiper Belt or Oort Cloud, will they be classed as planets?
ArVi
If we discover Earth sized objects in the Kuiper Belt or Oort Cloud, will they be classed as planets?

I'd guess at that all depending on the path it took around the sun. If it fitted in with the other 8 planets in the type of path it had and it had a clear path around the sun (ie no other objects near it's path....they had either all been pulled in or expelled from the area around it) then I guess it could be a planet.

But, I feel that for an object out there both those things would be unlikely....perhaps not impossible though...

...but again, this is just my thoughts on the matter.
Reply 98
ummm....

am i the only one who ever took astrophysics lessons (IB Physics HL Option) ???
...it's all a bit more complicated than some people are trying to argue in this thread... :rolleyes:
moser88
ummm....

am i the only one who ever took astrophysics lessons (IB Physics HL Option) ???
...it's all a bit more complicated than some people are trying to argue in this thread... :rolleyes:

What is a bit more complicated?

(And no, you aren't the only person to have taken any astrophysics lessons, I did some astrophysics modules in my degree)

Latest

Trending

Trending