The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Except that stimulus you talk about is being provided, with substantial commitments to investment in British infrastructure and investments being made to rejuvenate local economies. You accuse the Tories of not investing in the economy but that is precisely what they've done and have committed to doing.

You're still remaining quiet on those remarks about British colonialism.

Government investment has fallen during tory leadership. Public sector jobs have been cut, the police and the NHS have seen cuts. Don't lie to me about fiscal stimulus.

All colonialism is wrong. No country has the right to control another country and its people. British colonialism has led to countless number of lives lost, with wars still being fought today due to territorial disputes caused by British rule. British colonialism led to the use of slavery, purely for capitalism's need for profit.
Original post by Revision Notes
Government investment has fallen during tory leadership. Public sector jobs have been cut, the police and the NHS have seen cuts. Don't lie to me about fiscal stimulus.

All colonialism is wrong. No country has the right to control another country and its people. British colonialism has led to countless number of lives lost, with wars still being fought today due to territorial disputes caused by British rule. British colonialism led to the use of slavery, purely for capitalism's need for profit.

It doesn't exist anymore in any form other than the Commonwealth which Scotland is embracing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lowering top rate tax from 50p to 45p redistributes income to the rich, while strict welfare benefits only makes the cost of living crisis worse.

iScotland isn't going to get very far by raising income tax to 50%; it will make no difference to tax receipts and may even reduce them. Only about 13,000 Scots paid at that rate and I bet most of those have the ability to either live in England (and maybe work in Scotland) or to find a way to avoid paying tax if it tries. The big tax-payers live in London and the Home Counties.
Original post by Good bloke
iScotland isn't going to get very far by raising income tax to 50%; it will make no difference to tax receipts and may even reduce them. Only about 13,000 Scots paid at that rate and I bet most of those have the ability to either live in England (and maybe work in Scotland) or to find a way to avoid paying tax if it tries. The big tax-payers live in London and the Home Counties.

I was talking about the effects of England lowering the tax rate, not Scotland.
I was talking about the effects of England lowering the tax rate, not Scotland.

Ah! That makes no difference to the fact that a higher top tax rate results in very little extra tax revenue, and is counter-productive. Soak the rich simply doesn't work, much as it is used by lefties as a warcry. Or should that (from a Scottish nationalist viewpoint) be soak the English?
. Basic economics says we need a fiscal stimulus for a recovery, the Tories were happy with austerity measures.

In fact Keynesian economics say that, and few leading economists would agree; the ECB leads the way on demanding austerity. Neoliberalism is predominant these days; large deficits should only be used for temporary stabilisation purposes.
you could talk rings around yourself and still not agree, at the end of the day on 18/9/2014 your facts and figures will account for nothing.

Scotland is going all out for this.
(edited 9 years ago)
In fact Keynesian economics say that, and few leading economists would agree; the ECB leads the way on demanding austerity. Neoliberalism is predominant these days; large deficits should only be used for temporary stabilisation purposes.

I think I established that I was talking about Keynesian economics if you looked at the next paragraph.

Paul Krugman is probably the most prominent economist of the 21st century and he supports fiscal stimulus.

I think we can agree that monetary policy during the economic depression failed due to the liquidity trap.

Talking about the ECB and austerity shows that it doesn't work. The ECB are making the Greek crisis worse off.
Original post by babybuntin
you could talk rings around yourself and still not agree, at the end of the day on 18/9/2014 your facts and figures will account for nothing.

Scotland is going all out for this.

If the facts and figures supported Scottish independence you would be using them.
If the facts and figures supported Scottish independence you would be using them.

l did the other night, l could give you more if you want..

says the guy who's burd hasn't got a voice and who voted in Ukip on Thursday. lol
@Midlander

you do realise when we become independent Scotland you won't be allowed to speak to me lol
l did the other night, l could give you more if you want..

says the guy who's burd hasn't got a voice and who voted in Ukip on Thursday. lol

Burd hasn't got a voice? What?
@Midlander

you do realise when we become independent Scotland you won't be allowed to speak to me lol

Your English is awful to the point it's hard to work out what the hell you're saying.

Talking about the ECB and austerity shows that it doesn't work.

Well, no. The euro merely demonstrates how a currency union doesn't easily work for economies that aren't also in political union. The Greek economy didn't even meet the convergence criteria set for entry to the euro in the first place, so it was blatantly obvious there would be problems.
Well, no. The euro merely demonstrates how a currency union doesn't easily work for economies that aren't also in political union. The Greek economy didn't even meet the convergence criteria set for entry to the euro in the first place, so it was blatantly obvious there would be problems.

So you would say austerity measures are a success in Greece? Austerity is like strangling a half dead man...

Edit: I'll go back to the topic of Scottish independence later on when I'm on the laptop :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
So you would say austerity measures are a success in Greece? Austerity is like strangling a half dead man...

Edit: I'll go back to the topic of Scottish independence later on when I'm on the laptop :wink:

I'd say bringing Greece into the world of reasonably well-run economies will have long-term benefits for Greece. This may take many years.
Your English is awful to the point it's hard to work out what the hell you're saying.

Sit down and think about that very carefully. ( The answer is in the question ) it's not hard to work out lol

anyway guys, l have to love you and leave you l'm afraid. Roland Garros kicks of today and l will be glued to the box :smile:

enjoy your continuing debate and here's one for Midlander Cherrioooooooooooooo lol
Sit down and think about that very carefully. ( The answer is in the question ) it's not hard to work out lol

anyway guys, l have to love you and leave you l'm afraid. Roland Garros kicks of today and l will be glued to the box :smile:

enjoy your continuing debate and here's one for Midlander Cherrioooooooooooooo lol

What did you mean by 'burd has no voice'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Someone suggested these things would help Scotland if she were to become independent:

oil revenue, whisky revenue, tide & wind power

I don't understand this at all. Firstly, oil has a fine number of years in it. Then there's the suggestion that renewable energy is somewhat of an asset, and that's based on potential. Renewable energy isn't something that's highly profitable at the moment, hence it's not economically viable.
Original post by Hectic
Someone suggested these things would help Scotland if she were to become independent:

I don't understand this at all. Firstly, oil has a fine number of years in it. Then there's the suggestion that renewable energy is somewhat of an asset, and that's based on potential. Renewable energy isn't something that's highly profitable at the moment, hence it's not economically viable.

Pretty much this.

Indeed, the close integration of the UK economy is one reason why the union is vital to our future economic success. To an extent, even the SNP acknowledged this by claiming that cross-border regulation would exist in an independent Scotland (without, it seems, asking anyone in the UK Government...).

Latest

Trending

Trending