The Student Room Group

Sheffield or Southampton for electronics and Computer engineering?

I am a year 13 student from mk. I have got offers from both Sheffield and Southampton Uni with same entry requirements. So can u pls tell me the pros and cons?
Original post by Shashankrn1
I am a year 13 student from mk. I have got offers from both Sheffield and Southampton Uni with same entry requirements. So can u pls tell me the pros and cons?

Hi,

Well done on getting offers.

Some things to consider when picking (everyone will have a different preference but this is how I made my decision):

-How far away do you want to be/how easy/expensive/time consuming is it to travel home?
I chose to study in Sheffield because I can easily travel home via train or coach and my family are only a few hours away if they want to visit me. However, it is also far enough away that I don't go home every weekend and so have to be more independent and also haven't missed out on things because I was back home.

-Course Content
Do you prefer the content in one course more than the other? Does one let you pick your modules? How is is taught/assessed?
The course is one of the most important things at uni as it is the reason you are there. If you don't like the course, it will be much harder to stay motivated and do well.

-Do you like the city?
Sheffield has a city campus which means that the university buildings are mostly close together and located within the city centre.
Sheffield also borders onto the peak district and so it is very easy to go for a walk in the peaks and get out of the city.

Have you visited both uni's and spent some time looking around. Did you feel like you could imagine yourself studying and living there? Don't worry if you can't but some people find one place just feels right.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Lizzie (BSc Mathematics and Philosophy, University of Sheffield)

Quick Reply

Latest