The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Midlander
You're standing by this assertion that lines on a map define our culture. Several Aberdonians commented on this thread (the first one) and they felt it was unfair that the region was being used to bankroll the poorer central belt. The more heavily populated areas dominate the vote. It's fine complaining about that in the UK but the same scenario arises again in iScotland as the central belt dominates elections/referendums at the expense of other areas.

Well i'm standing by the assertion that the line on the map makes you either Scottish or English, and that can count for alot in determining a persons sense of identity. I understand what you are saying- and obviously the more populated areas have a greater say in the outcome of a referendum, the majority speaks; that is democracy. But when the whole of Scotland (a country) can vote for one thing in an election/ referendum and not get that outcome? Of course people aren't going to be content with that. The voice of areas in Scotland outwith the central belt will be better heard in an independent Scotland.
Reply 1981
Original post by Good bloke
I obviously touched a nerve there. I wonder why. If you had read why I wrote in a slightly more analytical way you would have realised I obviously wasn't talking about any individual. :rolleyes:

Why bitter? Would you have said the same if I had said strongly right-wing, apathetic, and unable to focus?

No you were talking about a group of individuals of which I am clearly a part. (i.e "those independence voters we see here"). It doesn't matter anyway, you are invalidating your points by making such sweeping generalisations. You certainly didn't touch a nerve at all. It's just a shame to waste a debate with name-calling and predjudice.

No I wouldn't because the tone you are applying is different.
Original post by Debz0r
It's just a shame to waste a debate with name-calling and predjudice.

What name-calling?
Original post by Debz0r
Well i'm standing by the assertion that the line on the map makes you either Scottish or English, and that can count for alot in determining a persons sense of identity. I understand what you are saying- and obviously the more populated areas have a greater say in the outcome of a referendum, the majority speaks; that is democracy. But when the whole of Scotland (a country) can vote for one thing in an election/ referendum and not get that outcome? Of course people aren't going to be content with that. The voice of areas in Scotland outwith the central belt will be better heard in an independent Scotland.

Pure hypocrisy there. Your first and second statement are directly contradictory.

By the way, Scotland is effectively a nation, not a country. Also what are your views on Europe?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1984
Well you have called me (perhaps indirectly, given), and every other yes voter on here intolerant. That is untrue, and quite frankly, very offensive.
Original post by Debz0r
Well you have called me (perhaps indirectly, given), and every other yes voter on here intolerant. That is untrue, and quite frankly, very offensive.

Don't worry. Buntin has offended every No voter here more than once.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Debz0r

You don't think that "intolerant" is a fair description of someone who has confessed to giving an earful to someone who tried to give their child a flag, then? Or for someone who has said they will vandalise the property of those who campaign against them?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Midlander
Don't worry. Buntin has offended every No voter here more than once.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And quite a few of the yes voters.
Reply 1988
Original post by Cryptographic
Pure hypocrisy there. Your first and second statement are directly contradictory.

By the way, Scotland is effectively a nation, not a country. Also what are your views on Europe?

Nation/ country. It doesn't matter. The point is that the people of Scotland feel inherently distinct from the people of England/ rest of the U.K- regardless of the fact that the U.K is "one country". And therefore when our vote counts for nothing in an election/ referendum, it feels like ANOTHER country is running our affairs. It is a completely different issue to one area of England swinging the vote. If that wasn't true we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

I am on the fence about Europe.
Reply 1989
Original post by Good bloke
You don't think that "intolerant" is a fair description of someone who has confessed fiving an earful to someone who tried to give their child a flag, then? Or for someone who has said they will vandalise the property of those who campaign against them?

No i don't think that intolerant is a fair description. I would give an earful to anyone who tried to give my child anything without asking me first. That's being a responsible parent. The absolute cheek of him. I would feel exactly the same if it was a yes flag. I am pretty sure that other comment was made in jest!
Original post by Debz0r
. I am pretty sure that other comment was made in jest!

She made a point of saying it wasn't.
Original post by Debz0r
No i don't think that intolerant is a fair description. I would give an earful to anyone who tried to give my child anything without asking me first. That's being a responsible parent. The absolute cheek of him. I would feel exactly the same if it was a yes flag. I am pretty sure that other comment was made in jest!

Fair enough. I suggest you read through Buntin's posts here though-they range from bizarre comments about sexuality to accusing No voters of being frauds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was undecided, as I feel Scottish, but, am unsure on the economics.

England however seem to be on a relentless pursuit to privatise everything, and the NHS is a step too far. Privatising cancer treatment? I mean, WTF?!!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/02/cancer-care-nhs-outsourcing-ccgs-unison-virgin

Thats not a country I want to be part of :frown:
Original post by Debz0r
Nation/ country. It doesn't matter. The point is that the people of Scotland feel inherently distinct from the people of England/ rest of the U.K- regardless of the fact that the U.K is "one country". And therefore when our vote counts for nothing in an election/ referendum, it feels like ANOTHER country is running our affairs. It is a completely different issue to one area of England swinging the vote. If that wasn't true we wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

I am on the fence about Europe.

Same situation as London then...?
Reply 1994
Sorry Quady, could you elaborate? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
Original post by Debz0r
Sorry Quady, could you elaborate? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

London voted Labour didnt it?

Londom is a distinct region quite different to the rest of the UK.

It needs very different Government policy than the rest of the UK.

So Londoners should have a vote on independence.
Reply 1996
No because London is a REGION of England. The are not, nor have ever been, a separate country (nation or whatever). And besides- do they want to be independent?
Original post by Quady
London voted Labour didnt it?

Londom is a distinct region quite different to the rest of the UK.

It needs very different Government policy than the rest of the UK.

So Londoners should have a vote on independence.

That's why the Government shafted the provincial economies and funnelled wealth into the SE. The Londoncentric economy was Westminster's creation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Debz0r
No because London is a REGION of England. The are not, nor have ever been, a separate country (nation or whatever). And besides- do they want to be independent?

Well, Mercia, Wessex, Essex and so on were Saxon kingdoms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Debz0r

So...? Countries can only be created if the existed previously? :s-smilie:

Dunno. Londonders - a greater population mass than Scotland, havent been allowed a vote on the issue.

Cant see them loving paying much higher tax rations to redistribute wealth to the rest of the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending