The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jordooooom
What I meant is they aren't the ones conducting the negotiations are they? Yes they can affect it by vetoing but they want. Know why? Because Spain is one of Scotland's main trading partners. Would be pretty stupid to kick your own trading partner out of the single market wouldn't it?

And as I have mentioned too many times before. They have already downplayed claims that they would.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/304495/Spain-will-not-veto-an-independent-Scotland-joining-EU

Lets be a bit more recent shall we?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11099167/Spanish-warn-independent-Scotland-would-get-euro-not-pound.html :redface:
Original post by Rakas21
I moved from neutral-Yes before the white paper to an ardent no. As a Tory I found his defense policies to be stupid, he wants Westminster to pay for a new nationalized postal service and his sums just don't add up.

Yes but you must remember that nobody living in England gets a vote, its based on residency.

I support economic devolution but not political and for counties rather than regions. If a county assembly In West Yorkshire is will to crack the crap out of the land then they should reap the rewards just as London should with its current account surplus. Political devolution like justice policies, health policies and education policy can help to foster cultural identity and that must be stopped.

Devolution is a practical necessity. Don't think anyone can reasonably dispute that even in a relatively small country like the UK. Interesting though that as a Tory you were inclined to vote Yes, why was that?
Original post by 60065
The Green Party, they promise so much but I suspect all they would ever deliver is a load of carbon taxes?

What a shame it is that my country is potentially splitting up and at the very least is badly fractured. The one good thing to come out of this is the demand for devolution in England. If Scotland can shout loud and get a better deal whichever way vote then surely the north of England should have more autonomy as well?

Ah, 'the north', that ill-defined place. If you want more autonomy then campaign for it, nobody's stopping you.
Original post by Good bloke
Scotland not being in the EU doesn't mean that Spain and iScotland cannot trade.

In any event, the UK as a whole is only about Spain's fifth largest trading partner, with France's business over double ours. Scotland's share is utterly insignificant. It exports about £760 million to Spain, which is less than 0.35% of Spain's imports. To believe that iScotland is one of Spain's most important trading partners is pure fantasy. Japan, at number 20, exports more than treble that amount to Spain (and is outside the EU, of course).

Not really relevant. The point is, why would Scotland want to continue trading with a country that blocks them from the EU?

Okay, and how much does it receive from fishing industries from within the north sea? Block Scotland and goodbye, you can find somewhere else to fish.
Original post by 60065
If Scotland can shout loud and get a better deal whichever way vote then surely the north of England should have more autonomy as well?

In fact, the north-east has fairly recently (2004) overwhelmingly rejected more autonomy, when the Labour government tried to introduce regional assemblies. It was so overwhelming (about 80% voted no) that two other referenda were abandoned and so was the plan for regional assemblies.

The English simply don't want more politicians and more cost.
Reply 5985
Original post by Eboracum
His defence policies are absolutely ridiculous. How on earth can you not want nuclear weapons in the 21st century. We live in extremely dangerous times. We need the ultimate option to wipe countries off the map, should our existence be threatened. He'd rather a large welfare state and unsustainable spending.

Did your mother not show you any love as a kid?
Original post by Eboracum
It's the greatest nation in the world bar none. You've obviously not done much travelling have you. Go somewhere else if you don't like it.

God, you're so delusional. On the contrary, I have travelled my fair share across the globe.

Greatest nation in the world except...

3rd lowest pensions in the 34 OECD countries of the world
Single most expensive childcare in the EU
Second lowest-paid economy in the developed world
3rd longest working hours in the EU
Lowest number of holidays in the EU
8th highest inequality gap out of the EU'2 28 countries
Highest rail prices in europe
Second highest housing costs in europe

Wow, it's basically paradise isn't it :rolleyes:

Westminster have mismanaged the oil, foreign affairs, the gold reserves, the NHS and the country goes into meltdown when we get a few inches of snow in winter. We are a joke.
Original post by Boab

:nospam:
Original post by Boab

Think females in general don't show him any love. He seems very frustrated.
Reply 5989
In fact, the north-east has fairly recently (2004) overwhelmingly rejected more autonomy, when the Labour government tried to introduce regional assemblies. It was so overwhelming (about 80% voted no) that two other referenda were abandoned and so was the plan for regional assemblies.

The English simply don't want more politicians and more cost.

That is what I was thinking about. I agree with you. I mean something with real power and purpose, not just another layer of bureaucracy. Just see Police Crime Commissioners for something people don't care about at all. Let's be honest New Labour didn't have many good ideas. Just remember the ID card scheme.
What I meant is they aren't the ones conducting the negotiations are they? Yes they can affect it by vetoing but they want. Know why? Because Spain is one of Scotland's main trading partners. Would be pretty stupid to kick your own trading partner out of the single market wouldn't it?

And as I have mentioned too many times before. They have already downplayed claims that they would.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/304495/Spain-will-not-veto-an-independent-Scotland-joining-EU

Another ancient article :yawn:
Oil prices dropping globally. Saudi probably cutting production.

Good time to base your economy on Oil :rolleyes:

This is the future of an independent Scotland. The constant panic of fluctuating Oil prices and being at the whim of the Oil markets.

An Oil-based economy in this day and age is not a good thing. You have to have a varied economy with other exports.
Not really relevant. The point is, why would Scotland want to continue trading with a country that blocks them from the EU?

Okay, and how much does it receive from fishing industries from within the north sea? Block Scotland and goodbye, you can find somewhere else to fish.

So Scotland will not trade with England or Spain if they use their veto? Try telling that to the people whose jobs depend on that trade. Do you even know what proportion of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the UK? You should look it up if you don't; it might surprise you.

Pissing off my overwhelmingly biggest trading partner with threats of not sharing debts is not the way I would choose to start negotiations for independence. If I did I'd expect a pretty nasty reaction.

In fact, the biggest flaw in independence for Scotland is that it instantly turns Scotland's best friend and overwhelmingly biggest trade partner into a competitor. It doesn't seem wise to me.
Original post by Chindits
Oil prices dropping globally. Saudi probably cutting production.

Good time to base your economy on Oil :rolleyes:

This is the future of an independent Scotland. The constant panic of fluctuating Oil prices and being at the whim of the Oil markets.

An Oil-based economy in this day and age is not a good thing. You have to have a varied economy with other exports.

Good thing Scotland has exactly that then, isn't it?
God, you're so delusional. On the contrary, I have travelled my fair share across the globe.

Greatest nation in the world except...

3rd lowest pensions in the 34 OECD countries of the world
Single most expensive childcare in the EU
Second lowest-paid economy in the developed world
3rd longest working hours in the EU
Lowest number of holidays in the EU
8th highest inequality gap out of the EU'2 28 countries
Second highest housing costs in europe

Wow, it's basically paradise isn't it :rolleyes:

Westminster have mismanaged the oil, foreign affairs, the gold reserves, the NHS and the country goes into meltdown when we get a few inches of snow in winter. We are a joke.

You're a traitor to the cause. You made the same points last time. If you live in the UK, get a good education, work hard you can thrive in this country and live well.

Those are issues we are working on. Our military power and history of Empire together with our great traditions of liberal democracy and parliamentary government make us great.
So Scotland will not trade with England or Spain if they use their veto? Try telling that to the people whose jobs depend on that trade. Do you even know what proportion of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the UK? You should look it up if you don't; it might surprise you.

Pissing off my overwhelmingly biggest trading partner with threats of not sharing debts is not the way I would choose to start negotiations for independence. If I did I'd expect a pretty nasty reaction.

In fact, the biggest flaw in independence for Scotland is that it instantly turns Scotland's best friend and overwhelmingly biggest trade partner into a competitor. It doesn't seem wise to me.

What you're talking about is a completely hypothetical situation. Seeing as the UK will not veto Scotland's entry into the EU.

Again, why would the UK want to kick Scotland out of the single market? Makes absolutely no sense.

And you appear to keep forgetting that we have the huge bargaining chip which is trident at our disposal.
Good thing Scotland has exactly that then, isn't it?

Yeah, the Whisky (much of it foreign owned) and Irn-Bru sales will see them through. :rolleyes:

With all the free stuff the Dear Leader Salmond is promising, not even larger Oil reserves could cover that. Especially after the cost of separation.
Original post by Aj12
Of course the Yes voters would never change their minds....

Ive changed my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
What you're talking about is a completely hypothetical situation. Seeing as the UK will not veto Scotland's entry into the EU.

Again, why would the UK want to kick Scotland out of the single market? Makes absolutely no sense.

And you appear to keep forgetting that we have the huge bargaining chip which is trident at our disposal.

The UK will not veto Scotland's entry into the EU, and neither will Spain. This is not because iScotland is of massive importance to the EU (it isn't) or because of fishing threats. Rather it is because iScotland's negotiators will be sensible, experienced people who recognise that Salmond's referendum bluster is only for the masses and that iScotland's negotiating position is really rather weak, rather than idealistic adrenalin-fuelled adolescents.

The value of a veto is not in wielding it, but in keeping the other side within reasonable bounds. iScotland won't walk away from the debts when the currency union doesn't materialise, it won't threaten to close off its fishing grounds and it won't make silly claims about how important it is to Spain's economy. It will recognise what it could lose through being over-aggressive and intransigent, and negotiate sensibly to minimise the period it is outside the EU and to ensure good relations with important trading partners in the future.

Trident is no bargaining chip at all. If a move is forced iScotland will have an enormous bill to pay and will additionally lose a huge number of jobs. If it stays where it is iScotland keeps the jobs, remains in NATO's good books and gains an important source of income from the UK for years to come.
Original post by Chelsea man
Ive changed my mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've been saved from the dark side? Excellent!

Latest

Trending

Trending