The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Met the most gorgeous guy yesterday on my journey, spoke the whole way, a YES voter may l add, has a Romanian girlfriend who will also be voting YES.

Now we have Polish & Romanians on our side. EXCITING!!!!!!!
Original post by Midlander
The UK's own position would be enhanced from cutting loose a loss making nation. The billions saved from subsidising Holyrood could then be put into decreasing the debt or further investing it in RUK, so I am quite confident about the UK's future either way.

However any government that came out in Scotland saying 'we need to cut our cloth, taxes must go up/public spending must go down' contradicts the jingoistic stereotypes that only English Tories advocate such policies. They would be very hard pressed to actually carry it out. As for R+D, the UK research councils award disproportionate sums to Scottish institutions. This quite clearly would not continue in iScotland, particularly if it pursues the illegal policy of charging RUK students tuition fees and nobody else (from the EU).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Without knowing too much on the matter the Scottish Universities are among the best in the world so I would tend to agree that shared funding is likely to continue. No point diverting that funding to UK universities if the best professors/academics are not there to make use of it.

Again don't know too much on that matter. You seem to be arguing that a Government which wants ensure it looks after our finances would not get elected in Scotland, I feel that's insulting the Scottish electorates intelligence a bit.

And the Tories are certainly not known for increasing taxes! :smile:
Reply 982
Original post by babybuntin
Met the most gorgeous guy yesterday on my journey, spoke the whole way, a YES voter may l add, has a Romanian girlfriend who will also be voting YES.

Now we have Polish & Romanians on our side. EXCITING!!!!!!!

Did you meet any no voters?

How much money have you put on the outcome? 11/4 with Paddy Power
Put £1,000 on and get £2,750 back - you can use the profit to hold a mega independence party.
Reply 983
Original post by Quady
Well it is about them, they are the ones who will be leading the negotiations, if not be the sole negotiators.

Unless they decide to give referendums on key issues like these.

Salmond wants cross party representation on the negotiating team, but yes, someone has to lead it. After that though, we have elections and we do what every other country around the world gets to do. Ahhhhh, what a nice thought!
Original post by Quady
But you want to be in the EU? :rolleyes:

And you want the pension, tax and welfare systems of the other country for a while?

And you want to share another countries currency?

And you want to share the embassy's of the other country?

And you want the Head of State of the other country?

It's our head of state Quady my friend :smile:

As we've discussed.
Reply 985
Original post by Quady
Mind coming back to me then...?

Here you did. (or could you explain the maths...?)

If every person who didn't turn up was declared as a NO vote you'd need 50% of the electorate to vote yes to carry the motion.

With a 49% turnout NO would have won.

In reality a 45% turn out with a 90% share for yes would have won. From what you said, they would have lost as it'd have been 40.5% yes vs 59.5% NO

You've actually repeated this gibberish?

With a 49% turnout YES would have won as long as 40% of the electorate had voted yes. At no point did he say, or even insinuate 50% no matter what crazy maths you try and carry out!
Reply 986
Original post by sauzee_4
It's our head of state Quady my friend :smile:

As we've discussed.

I'd still say the act passed in England in 1701 being ratified by the Scottish Parliament in 1707 at the same time as the Act of Union was agreed to under coercion.

If You/others think a coerced act is something you want to keep on the statute books then fair enough, just find it odd people would want to throw out the Act of Union (which the Scottish Parliament actually wanted) but keep the Act of Settlement that was only signed as part of getting the former.
Original post by Good bloke
I for one hope this is the case. Devolution has gone quite far enough.

I would possibly agree to be honest with you, if we can't have independence I'm not sure anything other than the status quo would work.

Possibly a devolved English Parliament would be a positive step, which would ensure local decision making for them aswell
Reply 988
Original post by Boab
You've actually repeated this gibberish?

With a 49% turnout YES would have won as long as 40% of the electorate had voted yes. At no point did he say, or even insinuate 50% no matter what crazy maths you try and carry out!

'the figures declared the people who did not bother to go out and vote that day as a NO vote'

What does that mean if it doesn't mean 51% are counted as NO votes?

51% beats 49%.
Without knowing too much on the matter the Scottish Universities are among the best in the world so I would tend to agree that shared funding is likely to continue. No point diverting that funding to UK universities if the best professors/academics are not there to make use of it.

Are you seriously suggesting that the UK would continue to fund Scottish research?

Again don't know too much on that matter. You seem to be arguing that a Government which wants ensure it looks after our finances would not get elected in Scotland, I feel that's insulting the Scottish electorates intelligence a bit.

And the Tories are certainly not known for increasing taxes! :smile:

Oxford, Cambridge and LSE are superior to any Scottish university. The point is that the research councils fund UK universities. Obviously if Scotland is out then that stops.

The Tories advocate cutting our cloth accordingly and have been slammed for it in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would possibly agree to be honest with you, if we can't have independence I'm not sure anything other than the status quo would work.

Possibly a devolved English Parliament would be a positive step, which would ensure local decision making for them aswell

The English, though, keep rejecting English devolution.
Original post by Quady
I'd still say the act passed in England in 1701 being ratified by the Scottish Parliament in 1707 at the same time as the Act of Union was agreed to under coercion.

If You/others think a coerced act is something you want to keep on the statute books then fair enough, just find it odd people would want to throw out the Act of Union (which the Scottish Parliament actually wanted) but keep the Act of Settlement that was only signed as part of getting the former.

Nah to be fair if it was up to me I'd get rid of the Monarchy too, and I think if Salmond had proposed this it would have actually been a positive for the Yes camp rather than a negative.

There are a lot of 3rd generation Irish republicans in Glasgow who probably would have needed no other reason to vote yes than that.

All besides the point likes maybe it would have been to radical for people
Original post by Good bloke
The English, though, keep rejecting English devolution.

Yeah, think that's why it's leading me to believe it's independence or the status quo, and I'd prefer indy
Nah to be fair if it was up to me I'd get rid of the Monarchy too, and I think if Salmond had proposed this it would have actually been a positive for the Yes camp rather than a negative.

There are a lot of 3rd generation Irish republicans in Glasgow who probably would have needed no other reason to vote yes than that.

All besides the point likes maybe it would have been to radical for people

To me it looks like wanting rid of the establishment and wanting to keep it at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford, Cambridge and LSE are superior to any Scottish university. The point is that the research councils fund UK universities. Obviously if Scotland is out then that stops.

The Tories advocate cutting our cloth accordingly and have been slammed for it in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love you taking every opportunity to turn things into an England v Scotland Midlander :biggrin:

Can I make one thing clear? I love England, my family are English. I visit England regularly and I would never say a bad word about the place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

On your Tories point, the way in which they balance the books is what many people in Scotland don't agree with. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

The extremity of the austerity measures they introduced instead of focussing on growing the economy was criticised not only in Scotland but by commentators throughout the UK.

That's a whole different discussion though gonna head off here before my mrs beats me up!
Reply 997
I love you taking every opportunity to turn things into an England v Scotland Midlander :biggrin:

Can I make one thing clear? I love England, my family are English. I visit England regularly and I would never say a bad word about the place.

Yup I'm going to England tomorrow. This whole 'we will be foreigners' stuff is embarrassing only the NO wallopers who claim it!
They won't be laughing come September, [video="youtube;NthEdcoQ_Hs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NthEdcoQ_Hs[/video]

How was I doing it there? Those three universities and especially Oxbridge are generally regarded as the best in the UK. If Wales or Northern Ireland had any of that status of course I'd mention them.

Latest

Trending

Trending