The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
Because not the entire Scottish population actually vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really do not understand the point you are trying to make here?
I'm voting in it so yes I do. Tell me, how am I supposed to prove I live and work here?

Maybe they want you to reveal your location so that they can send some IRL cybernats round to make you change your vote.
Original post by Snagprophet
Maybe they want you to reveal your location so that they can send some IRL cybernats round to make you change your vote.

They?
Reply 1183

Maybe, just maybe, the BritNats are just as bad as the Cybernats? :eek:
Original post by King Kebab
They?

Anyone in general really.

Original post by Boab
Maybe, just maybe, the BritNats are just as bad as the Cybernats? :eek:

I doubt that considering most people pro-British give not a toss about this referendum, hence why Better Together is a weak campaign.
Reply 1185
I doubt that considering most people pro-British give not a toss about this referendum, hence why Better Together is a weak campaign.

What the what? There are just as strong feelings in the NO camp as there are the YES. The reason the Better Together campaign is weak, is the leadership and the awkward alliance of Labour and the Tories.

Who cares about what he votes, ( whether he even has one that is )

Breaking News :- Scotland will go to the polls on September 18th but Scotland's future rests in the hands of one man. ( Midlander ) the lone English man who intends to stand in Scotland's way, will he succeed in his quest to prevent Scotland from becoming an independent country?

:dontknow:
Reply 1187
Original post by Aj_16
It's a bad thing. Ok, let's see...

Scottish poverty will increase in the long term. Random, unsubstantiated comment.

Being a part of the UK increases trading power and it increases jobs. Any evidence for this?

Scottish independence could be a choice in the future if Glasgow was similar to London but its not. Glasgow needs to be similar to London? Why Glasgow and in what way? No London in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Belguim etc etc etc

If anything it would benefit the rest of the UK because there would be less spending towards the Scots in terms of subsidising education. The rUK DOES NOT subsidise Scottish education. It amazes me how often this myth gets peddled.

I wouldn't want them to separate as together everyone will only move forward and economically it is beneficial for all parties as the main component is purchasing power. Purchasing power? We're not TESCO.

Also we have been together throughout history and haven't done so badly: "Britannia ruled the waves" Harking back to the British empire is a funny thing to do for those that call us Nationalists!

Being together must be the right option if arguably the worlds fictional writer has donated over 1 million pounds to the no campaign... Doesn't even make sense!

I'm guessing you ain't from Scotland, and you clearly don't believe Scotland can thrive on her own, and you seem to accept the myth that bigger is automatically better.

I am voting YES for a whole host of reasons, but not least, because I am tired of Scotland being viewed as a nation incapable of controlling it's own destiny. I believe it is time for us to roll up our sleeves, be ambitious and try to create a country to be proud of, and to be responsible for our own decisions, for better or worse.
Categorizing a huge group of people based solely on only one's own experience is flawed in my view

It is the opinion of many more people than just myself.
Original post by babybuntin
Who cares about what he votes, ( whether he even has one that is )

Breaking News :- Scotland will go to the polls on September 18th but Scotland's future rests in the hands of one man. ( Midlander ) the lone English man who intends to stand in Scotland's way, will he succeed in his quest to prevent Scotland from becoming an independent country?

:dontknow:

I ask again, how am I supposed to prove that I live in St Monans and work in St Andrews? You accuse me of trying to turn things into England and Scotland (popular myth of the Yes voters here) and single out my nationality in every post.
Original post by Boab
I'm guessing you ain't from Scotland, and you clearly don't believe Scotland can thrive on her own, and you seem to accept the myth that bigger is automatically better.

I am voting YES for a whole host of reasons, but not least, because I am tired of Scotland being viewed as a nation incapable of controlling it's own destiny. I believe it is time for us to roll up our sleeves, be ambitious and try to create a country to be proud of, and to be responsible for our own decisions, for better or worse.

Maybe we could get rid of these arbitrary lines on a map between England, Scotland and Wales and merge all three into the nation of Great Britain. That would be a fine way of eliminating the divisive, alienating rhetoric.
Original post by Boab
What does this even mean?

Your posts in the past few pages are just an embarrassment to yourself!

The only embarrassment on the past few pages is buntin's ad hom bile and the Yes posters' ignorance of it.
It is the opinion of many more people than just myself.

Even if this is the case which I have no reason to doubt, It will be a huge minority of people who find this
Reply 1193
Original post by Aj_16
It's very easy to criticise and your response is very pedantic. Being pedantic about facts in a debate like this? Woe is me!

The myth? Bigger is better. Look at the USA, look at China and their growth. See below.

Your reason for wanting to be independent is nationalism and patriotism ie "our own", "country to be proud of". The real world doesn't work like that. Actually, recent history suggests the world is very much like that!

You need to be bigger to increase benefits for your own economy, simple economics. Simple yes, nonsense, also yes!

As you love figures so much Scotland's gdp is 216bn whereas England's gdp itself is 2.68 trillion. They are better together. And? What relevance does this have? England has over ten times Scotland's population. GDP per capita may be more interesting. Lets have a look.

GDP per Capita

1. Qatar - Not very big!
2. Luxembourg - Not very big!
3. Singapore - Not very big!
4. Norway - Not very big!
5. Brunei - Not very big!
6. USA - BIG
7. Hong Kong - Not very big!
8. San Marino - Not very big!
9. Canada - Smaller than UK
10. Australia - Smaller than UK
11. Austria - Not very big!
12. Netherlands - Not very big!
13. Sweden - Not very big!
14. Iceland - Not very big!
15. Germany - BIG
16 - 20 aren't very big either, including Ireland, and followed at...
21 by The UK - BIG

Now you mentioned the US and China. Great countries, pity the Chinese have those pesky human rights violations and the USA has its own problems - you seen their murder rate and percentage of citizens in jail?

I like this video, fictional that it is, it has much truth...

[video="youtube;3hvrCNkL9RM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hvrCNkL9RM[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
The only embarrassment on the past few pages is buntin's ad hom bile and the Yes posters' ignorance of it.

It's better to ignore Buntin's posts on this issue
Reply 1195

Ignorance of what? he's entitled to post whatever he likes. He sure as hell hasn't been caught out making up facts or showing as complete a level of ignorance issues as you have today. I can go back through them if you like? it might take some time to compile it all mind. :rolleyes:
Original post by Aj_16
It's very easy to criticise and your response is very pedantic. The myth? Bigger is better. Look at the USA, look at China and their growth. Your reason for wanting to be independent is nationalism and patriotism ie "our own", "country to be proud of". The real world doesn't work like that. You need to be bigger to increase benefits for your own economy, simple economics.
As you love figures so much Scotland's gdp is 216bn whereas England's gdp itself is 2.68 trillion. They are better together.

Where did you find this?
Original post by Boab
Ignorance of what? he's entitled to post whatever he likes. He sure as hell hasn't been caught out making up facts or showing as complete a level of ignorance issues as you have today. I can go back through them if you like? it might take some time to compile it all mind. :rolleyes:

He has made up the assertion that I don't live in Scotland and has thrown personal insults into the agenda to boot. Anybody defending him should be ashamed.

So I misread a BBC article on the outcomes of the European Parliament elections. You think expressing the Tory vote as a percentage of the whole population is valid.
It's better to ignore Buntin's posts on this issue

He is one of several disgraces to the Yes campaign on this thread and the old one.
Even if this is the case which I have no reason to doubt, It will be a huge minority of people who find this

I doubt that but statistics for this sort of thing don't exist.

Latest

Trending

Trending