The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
[video="youtube;IX_d_vMKswE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX_d_vMKswE#t=91[/video]
Original post by Boab
Does it really?

Not of course that it would matter if it did. Nuclear weapons being not the sort of thing you put to a referendum decision, obviouslly.

It's covered on the STV website if you fancy a look. Still, at least it makes the SNP's assertion that all Scots want them gone look pretty silly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quady
No, you obviously leave that for the constitution we don't seem to be getting a vote on.

Written by the SNP during the transition period...

On the back of Salmond's fag packet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1383
Original post by Midlander
It's covered on the STV website if you fancy a look. Still, at least it makes the SNP's assertion that all Scots want them gone look pretty silly. Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I looked. Doesn't say that a majority of Scots want rid at all though. Just like your latest made up comment that the SNP have asserted that all Scots want them gone.

It's getting harder and harder to take any of your comments seriously!

On Trident, just google through the polls done on this issue and you will find hugely different results coming out.
Reply 1384
On the back of Salmond's fag packet.Posted from TSR Mobile

:rolleyes:
Reply 1385
Back to the original question...

Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing?

GOOD. In 2018, maybe I will be able to watch a World Cup game where the pundits talk about something other than England and Wayne Rooney!
Original post by Boab
Yeah I looked. Doesn't say that a majority of Scots want rid at all though. Just like your latest made up comment that the SNP have asserted that all Scots want them gone.

It's getting harder and harder to take any of your comments seriously!

On Trident, just google through the polls done on this issue and you will find hugely different results coming out.

It says more Scots want them to stay than want them to go, but if you find another way of interpreting that then enlighten the rest of us.
Original post by Boab
Back to the original question...

Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing?

GOOD. In 2018, maybe I will be able to watch a World Cup game where the pundits talk about something other than England and Wayne Rooney!

Maybe Scotland could qualify and give the home nation broadcaster something else to talk about :rolleyes:
Reply 1388
It says more Scots want them to stay than want them to go, but if you find another way of interpreting that then enlighten the rest of us.

You know the answer to that fine. Majority is 50% plus
Original post by Boab
You know the answer to that fine. Majority is 50% plus

More want them than want them to go. That will do for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1390
More want them than want them to go. That will do for me.

I'm sure it is.

Well if we're going to stick with your love of this poll, you will of course embrace the same poll that shows 69% (I think we can classify that as a majority) of people in England and Wales think Scotland should be allowed to use the pound, which kind of dispels your myth that it would be electoral suicide for Osbourne to flip flop on the currency union.

Which one do you prefer?

Less people than that think Scotland should be the Queen as head of state! :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Boab
I'm sure it is.

Well if we're going to stick with your love of this poll, you will of course embrace the same poll that shows 69% (I think we can classify that as a majority) of people in England and Wales think Scotland should be allowed to use the pound, which kind of dispels your myth that it would be electoral suicide for Osbourne to flip flop on the currency union.

Which one do you prefer?

Less people than that think Scotland should be the Queen as head of state! :rolleyes:

If the question was 'should Scotland be allowed to use the pound' then the results are meaningless as of course Scotland can use it. As you know this is entirely different to the matter of a currency union so unless that was the question asked then the result is useless.

Salmond deliberately conflated the two to good effect and wasn't called out for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1392
If the question was 'should Scotland be allowed to use the pound' then the results are meaningless as of course Scotland can use it. As you know this is entirely different to the matter of a currency union so unless that was the question asked then the result is useless.

Salmond deliberately conflated the two to good effect and wasn't called out for it.Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, sure! You just keep accepting only the information that suits you if it makes you feel better.

Has it been mentioned yet that poll was part of a UK wide one, so the Scottish opinion sampling is actually too small to give a valid result? Also it was carried out in October.

A quick shot of common sense to the head would immediately make you question why 'a majority' of Scots would want to keep hold of the Nuclear weapons systems, of a different country.

But hey, you keep on believing!
Original post by Boab

Well if we're going to stick with your love of this poll, you will of course embrace the same poll that shows 69% (I think we can classify that as a majority) of people in England and Wales think Scotland should be allowed to use the pound

IIRC that was before the currency debate blew up.

I suspect that if the question was asked again, once the populace has been sufficiently informed of the facts, it would yield a completely different answer.

Also, we often have polls showing a majority of people want the death penalty back; the fact that a majority of people are for it is neither here nor there.

It would be bad policy, it's not in rUK's interests to enter a currency union with an independent Scotland. All three major parties and the Treasury agree on that.
Original post by Boab
Sure, sure! You just keep accepting only the information that suits you if it makes you feel better.

Has it been mentioned yet that poll was part of a UK wide one, so the Scottish opinion sampling is actually too small to give a valid result? Also it was carried out in October.

A quick shot of common sense to the head would immediately make you question why 'a majority' of Scots would want to keep hold of the Nuclear weapons systems, of a different country.

But hey, you keep on believing!

So you think there is no difference between using the pound and having a formal currency union? Right.

And for what it's worth the presence of Trident creates masses of jobs in the area with the associated economic benefit that brings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1395
So you think there is no difference between using the pound and having a formal currency union? Right.

And for what it's worth the presence of Trident creates masses of jobs in the area with the associated economic benefit that brings. Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope.

You think the average Joe in the street says sure, Scotland can use the pound, but no currency union? We can use the pound anyway!

A few jobs outweighs public concern at hosting nuclear weapons of another country? I doubt it. And how many Scots hold those jobs?
There have been plenty of polls showing support against nuclear weapons, so I think I'll ignore this add-on to a UK poll, from, last year!
Reply 1396
Original post by MostUncivilised
Also, we often have polls showing a majority of people want the death penalty back; the fact that a majority of people are for it is neither here nor there.

Well sure, I'd agree with that. Many on here seem to believe we should have a referendum on pretty much everything.
Original post by Boab
Nope.

You think the average Joe in the street says sure, Scotland can use the pound, but no currency union? We can use the pound anyway!

It would be extremely poor policy for Scotland to use a foreign currency; it would have no control over interest rates, no ability to print money. At present Scottish economic interests play a role in determining interest rates.

Scotland would effectively have no central bank, and the Scottish governments inability to use monetary policy would mean it would have to achieve such objectives through fiscal policy only; this would entail massive swings in levels of taxation and spending to respond to economic circumstances which in other countries would merely require tweaking interest rates.

No-one can stop Scotland using the pound in the same way Ecuador uses the US dollar, but it would be unprecedented for a developed economy to adopt a foreign currency.

A few jobs outweighs public concern at hosting nuclear weapons of another country? I doubt it. And how many Scots hold those jobs?

Anti-nuclear weapon sentiment is illogical; nuclear weapons are safer than nuclear energy. There has never been an accidental explosion of a nuclear weapon, whereas there have been many nuclear power accidents. Demanding the expulsion of British nuclear weapons while retaining nuclear power is utterly misconceived.

Besides, if Scotland intends to remain in NATO then it will likely have to continue to provide basing for Trident.
Original post by Boab
Nope.

There have been plenty of polls showing support against nuclear weapons, so I think I'll ignore this add-on to a UK poll, from, last year!

Damn. If you actually think there's no difference...damn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1399
Original post by MostUncivilised
It would be extremely poor policy for Scotland to use a foreign currency; it would have no control over interest rates, no ability to print money. At present Scottish economic interests play a role in determining interest rates.

Scotland would effectively have no central bank, and the Scottish governments inability to use monetary policy would mean it would have to achieve such objectives through fiscal policy only; this would entail massive swings in levels of taxation and spending to respond to economic circumstances which in other countries would merely require tweaking interest rates.

No-one can stop Scotland using the pound in the same way Ecuador uses the US dollar, but it would be unprecedented for a developed economy to adopt a foreign currency.

Anti-nuclear weapon sentiment is illogical; nuclear weapons are safer than nuclear energy. There has never been an accidental explosion of a nuclear weapon, whereas there have been many nuclear power accidents. Demanding the expulsion of British nuclear weapons while retaining nuclear power is utterly misconceived.

Besides, if Scotland intends to remain in NATO then it will likely have to continue to provide basing for Trident.

First section. I'm fed up of people debating economic policy to me on here. Economics is a guessing game for the world's best, let alone us mere mortals, so I'll leave monetary policy to those experts.

Secondly. The part reference Scotland needing to provide a base to remain in NATO is gibberish. NATO might prefer Scotland to keep Faslane going but it certainly isn't going to be a deal breaker!

Latest

Trending

Trending