The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nimrodstower
Surely a precedent would be set, it would be hard to justify going against such a precedent. I am English with a Scottish father, if I could vote I would vote yes, but I would expect that 16 and 17 year olds were enfranchised after a yes vote.
That's a good point - I suppose it would.

Original post by flugelr
Surely it'd be decided before the first election? The SNP would be the people drawing up "the rules" for Scotland, which is why the whole "this is for independence not the SNP" line is BS.
They'll be managing the transition process, but Scotland will be a democracy upon independence. It's not as though the SNP will be establishing a perpetual dictatorship.

Original post by Midlander
Yes, Germany, France and the US just wish they could be ruled by an unelected Windsor.
Since when have France and the US been bastions of social justice?? Though I do agree that having a monarchy makes no difference. Incidentally, if you are opposed to the monarchy, Scotland is far more likely to find itself under a republic as an independent country than part of the UK.
Original post by Blue Meltwater

Since when have France and the US been bastions of social justice?? Though I do agree that having a monarchy makes no difference. Incidentally, if you are opposed to the monarchy, Scotland is far more likely to find itself under a republic as an independent country than part of the UK.

Did I call them that? They aren't falling to pieces without an unelected head of state and the German economy is the strongest in Europe despite underwriting the Euro.

Agree it's more likely to happen in iScotland than under the present set-up. But there is a pretty obvious contradiction in wanting rid of the Westminster establishment but keeping the monarchy. I've said before, if getting rid of them was a definite part of the iScottish constitution I might have been swayed towards Yes.
Original post by poppyevamay
If Scotland becomes independent, Labour will undoubtably lose the next election. Another coalition- yay! *sarcastic*

It didn't need Scotland to win any of the 3 elections it won from '97 onwards.
They'll be managing the transition process, but Scotland will be a democracy upon independence. It's not as though the SNP will be establishing a perpetual dictatorship.

Sorry, I didn't phrase that well. Allow me to explain.

What I mean is that often when I've pointed out something in the White Paper that wouldn't work I've been told that the White Paper was written by the SNP, and the vote isn't about the SNP.

However, if we vote for indpendence in September, the SNP will be the people negotiating with the rUK and the SNP will be the people setting up the various Scottish institutions. Once these institutions have been set up and the deals have been done with rUK, whatever party is elected in 2016 will find it very difficult - or even impossible - to change the structure of the Scottish state or to re-negotiate any agreements made by the SNP.

Therefore when the SNP say something that doesn't add up, it really does matter. This vote isn't just about independence, it is about giving the SNP the mandate to build their particular version of an independent Scotland.
Did I call them that? They aren't falling to pieces without an unelected head of state and the German economy is the strongest in Europe despite underwriting the Euro.

Agree it's more likely to happen in iScotland than under the present set-up. But there is a pretty obvious contradiction in wanting rid of the Westminster establishment but keeping the monarchy. I've said before, if getting rid of them was a definite part of the iScottish constitution I might have been swayed towards Yes.
I do disagree with the SNP's commitment to keeping the monarchy, but I'm trying to think long-term about the kind of country I want to live in. An independent Scotland wouldn't look like that country in 2016, but given a couple of decades I think it stands a better chance of getting there than the UK does at present.
It didn't need Scotland to win any of the 3 elections it won from '97 onwards.

Take a look at this http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/region_scotland/
I do disagree with the SNP's commitment to keeping the monarchy, but I'm trying to think long-term about the kind of country I want to live in. An independent Scotland wouldn't look like that country in 2016, but given a couple of decades I think it stands a better chance of getting there than the UK does at present.

Maybe. Charles coming to the throne can't come soon enough for all republicans. I have no intention of living in Scotland for too long after 2016 so the bigger picture doesn't matter too much to me.
Reply 1588
The official tourism figures show that is incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:confused:
Reply 1589
Fair enough. The King of Swaziland is a great advertisement for monarchies around the world. The monarchy is the ultimate symbol of elitism and social inequality.

Not sure why you'd mock nations that are streets ahead of us in recognising that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You come up with the US and France which is laughed at, so retreat to Swaziland?! Bravo!!!

Maybe once in your life you'll admit when you're wrong. It happens often enough.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1590
Original post by Boab
:confused:

No

You gov 12-16 June Yes 36% - No 53%
ICM 9-12 June Yes 36% - No 43%
Panelbase 9- 11 June Yes 43% No 46%

Right now No Seems pretty firmly ahead. Buntin seems to be acting as if the Referendum is already won, with figures like this I don't think his confidence is justified.
Reply 1591
Original post by Aj12
You gov 12-16 June Yes 36% - No 53%
ICM 9-12 June Yes 36% - No 43%
Panelbase 9- 11 June Yes 43% No 46%

Right now No Seems pretty firmly ahead. Buntin seems to be acting as if the Referendum is already won, with figures like this I don't think his confidence is justified.

And those results are closer than their previous incarnations. Thank you for disproving your own point!
Reply 1592
Original post by Boab
And those results are closer than their previous incarnations. Thank you for disproving your own point!

But the No vote has gone right ahead in the past few days. My main point here is what justifies Buntin's confidence.
Reply 1593
Original post by Aj12
But the No vote has gone right ahead in the past few days. My main point here is what justifies Buntin's confidence.

Right ahead in the past few days? How?

Your point was the polls were going in NOs direction. They are not!
Reply 1594
Original post by Boab
Right ahead in the past few days? How?

Your point was the polls were going in NOs direction. They are not!

No was on 43% which has jumped up to 53 whilst Yes has not moved. These aren't good results. Nor the sort you would be using to argue that Yes is heading on to some smashing victory.

Which part needs explaining to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1596
The United States doing well there, in 27th place.

Norway, Denmark and Sweden in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th spots. They have monarchs, right?!
Reply 1597
Which part needs explaining to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The part where you suggest the Royal Family aren't a tourist attraction!
Original post by Boab
You come up with the US and France which is laughed at, so retreat to Swaziland?! Bravo!!!

Maybe once in your life you'll admit when you're wrong. It happens often enough.

Deary me, you can't have been too good at English comprehension when you were at school. Also, your thoughts on the biggest European economy being a republic? I note you ignored Germany whilst mocking two well respected democracies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1599
Original post by Aj12
No was on 43% which has jumped up to 53 whilst Yes has not moved. These aren't good results. Nor the sort you would be using to argue that Yes is heading on to some smashing victory.

Where are you getting these crazy figures?! :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending