The Student Room Group

OCR Maths (MEI) M1 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Surf
I am so confused regarding this A* stuff... everyone says something different....

If you average an A in AS units and 90% overall in A2 does that mean an A*? And does it mean that you have to score 90% in M2? Or does that just have to be an A as long as C3 and C4 are A*?! Sorry if that doesn't make sense! I am just so confused.

Only two conditions:

Get 180/200 in C3 + C4
Get 480/600 in A Level Maths overall
Reply 41
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Only two conditions:

Get 180/200 in C3 + C4
Get 480/600 in A2 Maths overall

Awesome! Thanks very much... :biggrin:
for c4 and c3 guys is the final mark the cw (c3) or comprehension (c4)+ the paper mark ?
Reply 43
Original post by krishkmistry
for c4 and c3 guys is the final mark the cw (c3) or comprehension (c4)+ the paper mark ?

I think it is yes.
Reply 44
Jan 2012 q2ii anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing I am least looking forward to on tomorrow's exam is the questions where they ask you to explain something. I always fail to mention something which I don't think is really relevant to a good explanation but the mark scheme says that you must mention it. Hopefully luck is on my side tomorrow and for whatever 'explainy' question there is I will be able to get all the marks. The other stuff I'm fine on and barring the odd mistake in adding for example, I can get mainly full marks on those.
The thing I am least looking forward to on tomorrow's exam is the questions where they ask you to explain something. I always fail to mention something which I don't think is really relevant to a good explanation but the mark scheme says that you must mention it. Hopefully luck is on my side tomorrow and for whatever 'explainy' question there is I will be able to get all the marks. The other stuff I'm fine on and barring the odd mistake in adding for example, I can get mainly full marks on those.
Original post by emfp21
Jan 2012 q2ii anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have a right angled triangle, known angles, a known force (i.e. one side) and two forces you want to find. You can use trig functions like sin(x) = o/h to work out the values of the tensions.
Reply 47
Original post by emfp21
Can someone outline and help me somehow with vector triangles etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loool, these will be the death of me!

Just leaving it to change tbh :/
Reply 48
Original post by Surf
For june 05:

Because R = (-18i + 3j)

It wants the angle to the +ve i direction (and this shows negative value of i) therefore it is:
arctan(3/18) = 9.5
180-9.5 = 170.5 = 171 (to 3sf)

And as for jan 13, 7vi:
You need to show how it hangs in equilibrium by showing the tensions in each string. In this case it involves calculating the angle CAB (you could solve another one and prove it that way). From which you can resolve vertically and prove that T1cos(CAB) = 50
and that T1 = 50, and therefore there is no tension in T2....

I hope that makes sense....

Yh but why cant it be 180+9.5 instead of 180 minus, cant you go clockwise instead of anticlockwise. Also i dont get the CAB thing, what is the angle CAB, how do u work it out, are u supposed to use lengths when working out pythagoras because i always thought you had to use tensions???
Original post by tsrking
Yh but why cant it be 180+9.5 instead of 180 minus, cant you go clockwise instead of anticlockwise. Also i dont get the CAB thing, what is the angle CAB, how do u work it out, are u supposed to use lengths when working out Pythagoras because i always thought you had to use tensions???

for most maths questions the line y=0 is 0 degrees and the line x=0 is 90 degrees so thats why you go anticlockwise.
so for example 9.-9 would be -45 degrees and not 45 degrees.

for the other thing you have lengths 0.5, 2.3 and 2 from what i can remember from the question. you can use the lengths of the wires to find the angles. you can use cosine rule probably seems tedious but you probably do have to find CAB to prove that there is slack. i would just say "there is slack in the longest wire" cause i'm lazy like that but it is 3 marks so...
For q2 part 2 - why do you have to add the intial position and velocity together ? And following on what does velocity in vector form mean ? http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/m110ja_4761.pdf
Reply 51
Original post by Necrosyrtes
What is the hardest paper in M1? I want to make sure I've done it so that I can feel more prepared for tomorrow. Thanks :smile:

June 2013:smile:
Original post by Necrosyrtes
What is the hardest paper in M1? I want to make sure I've done it so that I can feel more prepared for tomorrow. Thanks :smile:

Personally Jan 10 but idk, I think I was having an off day, I did it after my d2 exam which didn't go nicely :/
Anyone in year 12 ? I feel like im the only one.
Reply 54
Nah I'm year 12 as well... Definitely gonna fail this paper though. I agree with everyone above, c3 and c4 are a breeze compared to this :/
Reply 55
How can you tell if it is thrust or compression, I dont get it. January 2011 M1? 5ii
Reply 56
Original post by tsrking
How can you tell if it is thrust or compression, I dont get it. January 2011 M1? 5ii

You get a negative value for the force if it is a thrust. Positive if it is tension.
Reply 57
Does anyone know the average grade boundary for m1?
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ! I HOPE WE ALL GET THE GRADES WE WANT ! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Do you guys reckon it will be a hard/easy paper ?
Original post by me32101
Does anyone know the average grade boundary for m1?

Probs around 57 for an A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending