The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics 2014-2015 :: Discussion Thread

Don't think this thread has been started yet, may as well get it going early.

Good luck to everyone! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering if anybody had Advanced Higher Physics notes, all I can find online are the SQA ones. Thanks :smile:
Original post by StarsInSpace
Just wondering if anybody had Advanced Higher Physics notes, all I can find online are the SQA ones. Thanks :smile:

There will be scholar ones floating around somewhere, or HSN should have good ones :smile:

I am repeating (updated to include Revised) the post I submitted last year (2013-14 thread) for to assist everyone here:

SQA:
NQ AHPhysics
Revised AHPhysics

These TSR threads discusses investigations, links and general tutorial problems that all you guys are repeating here this year- so it would not hurt to spend a few hours reading through these previous years threads for ideas etc...

As well as Asklepios link (2013-14 thread):
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=44369971&postcount=11
Last years (2014) NQ-paper worked:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=47733229&postcount=99

IAmAce started previous years TSR thread Advanced Higher Physics 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread at:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=39442809&postcount=1

Here's also the years 2011-12 link:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=33454262&postcount=1
if anyone interested.

External resources...

All Highland Virtual Learning (HVLC) videos can be found on my Youtube channel link-here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiISjSDTPUjy2OKK5-BI2WrVu91LAe_cm
(note- the original videos at Highland learning don't appear to be available anymore!)

Trinity has good links here:http://www.hswd.co.uk/trinity/index.php?menu=0&page=150
mrmackenzie's 'fizzics' is good for investigations and past-papers. SMarshallsay site also good.

For the newer Revised AHPhysics stuff Education Scotland has a page devoted to it, as well as sserc (investigations- detailed notes). Electromagnetism QnA , Particles from Space notes, Stellar Evolution files, Space and Time (incv. Gen Relativity) notes, Quanta and Waves (incv. Astrophysics) examples.

My own site: http://physics.tomctutor.com/
has detailed notes on the AHP stuff (Excel notes etc and tutorials)

so get stuck in yae-all (its Adv. Higher) yae cannie crash it n yul need tae swat hard as a glesga cop.:goodluck:

My worked solutions NQPaper 2015 are now complete and are up in post 124
(edited 8 years ago)
Haha! Thanks guys I shall have a look through this, missing 1 week of the AH physics is having consequences on my summer majorly!
Has anyone started thinking of ideas for the investigation? :smile:
My teacher is trying to make everyone choose the 'easy to do' ones but I have a feeling he's going to want me to go up to uni to do my practical - which I can't do because of the times I'd have to be going up.
I'm thinking of doing a project where I make bridge structures out of spaghetti and then see how much weight they can bear before collapsing.
So I could either compare the shape of the supports of spaghetti or do it the same structure but with different materials and then investigate why there is a difference in weight. I need to actually talk to my teacher after summer to see if it's something I can do - I think I could probably write a load of BS about gravity etc to make it sound high-tech...
Original post by greenladybird
My teacher is trying to make everyone choose the 'easy to do' ones but I have a feeling he's going to want me to go up to uni to do my practical - which I can't do because of the times I'd have to be going up.
I'm thinking of doing a project where I make bridge structures out of spaghetti and then see how much weight they can bear before collapsing.
So I could either compare the shape of the supports of spaghetti or do it the same structure but with different materials and then investigate why there is a difference in weight. I need to actually talk to my teacher after summer to see if it's something I can do - I think I could probably write a load of BS about gravity etc to make it sound high-tech...

It is certainly a possibility but I'm not sure how much you would be able to get out of it. For physics investigations, the SQA want you to do 3 (or 4) distinct but somewhat related experiments. With your idea you could have (1) comparing shape of bridge and weight supported, (2) material type and weight supported and then you would have to have a third experiment.

To me, your idea sounds more tech studies related rather than physics so I'm not sure whether it would be appropriate but wait and see what others (tomctutor) think too :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by greenladybird

Its difficult to comment directly on this choice but whatever you do it must tie in with what your learning on this course- e.g. resonance- waves, damping, rotation- moment of inertia, g-field, waves-polarization, electromagnetic forces and so on. Look at the content outcomes of the course and tick off what parts of your proposed experiment match them- and how you would actually measure what- before submitting to your teacher.
Your spaghetti structures could be subject maybe to oscillating forces to check for resonances- how could you measure these easily- laser-mirror-scope, microphone-sound, or EM-motion-sensor (guitar pickup would do)- how does the dimensions affect the resonances observed- how can any resonances be damped- (adding masses maybe) etc, etc_ just ideas!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Asklepios
It is certainly a possibility but I'm not sure how much you would be able to get out of it. For physics investigations, the SQA want you to do 3 (or 4) distinct but somewhat related experiments. With your idea you could have (1) comparing shape of bridge and weight supported, (2) material type and weight supported and then you would have to have a third experiment.

To me, your idea sounds more tech studies related rather than physics so I'm not sure whether it would be appropriate but wait and see what others (tomctutor) think too :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by tomctutor
Its difficult to comment directly on this choice but whatever you do it must tie in with what your learning on this course- e.g. resonance- waves, damping, rotation- moment of inertia, g-field, waves-polarization, electromagnetic forces and so on. Look at the content outcomes of the course and tick off what parts of your proposed experiment match them- and how you would actually measure what- before submitting to your teacher.
Your spaghetti structures could be subject maybe to oscillating forces to check for resonances- how could you measure these easily- laser-mirror-scope, microphone-sound, or EM-motion-sensor (guitar pickup would do)- how does the dimensions affect the resonances observed- how can any resonances be damped- (adding masses maybe) etc, etc_ just ideas!

Thank you very much for your help! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi, I was curious if anybody could give me advice on the amount of revision required in an advanced higher? For instance, should you spend so many hours per night? Of course it varies person to person but at this early stage in the year I would really like to start just now
Original post by L01
Hi, I was curious if anybody could give me advice on the amount of revision required in an advanced higher? For instance, should you spend so many hours per night? Of course it varies person to person but at this early stage in the year I would really like to start just now

When I was in sixth year, I just spent an hour or so, sometimes less, going over school work each day + homework time (maybe 30mins).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any help on this circular motion question would be greatly appreciated:

An Earth satellite is required to be in a circular orbit at a distance of 7.5 x 10^6m from the centre of the Earth.
The central force is due to the gravitational force.
The acceleration due to the Earth’s gravity at thispoint is 7.0 m s^-2.

Find:
(a) the required satellite speed
(b) the period of revolution of the satellite.
Original post by Falconer9
Any help on this circular motion question would be greatly appreciated:

An Earth satellite is required to be in a circular orbit at a distance of 7.5 x 10^6m from the centre of the Earth.
The central force is due to the gravitational force.
The acceleration due to the Earth’s gravity at thispoint is 7.0 m s^-2.

Find:
(a) the required satellite speed
(b) the period of revolution of the satellite.

A) if the central force is due to the the gravitational force, then the central acceleration must be equivalent to the acceleration due to gravity at that point. What equation can we use if we know a and the radius of orbit and want to find the tangential velocity?

B) now that you know the tangential velocity, how does this relate to angular velocity, and how does that relate to period?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Asklepios
When I was in sixth year, I just spent an hour or so, sometimes less, going over school work each day + homework time (maybe 30mins).

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much for Highers? Think I should be studying from now?
Original post by Ecasx
How much for Highers? Think I should be studying from now?

Just start studying when you find the classwork challenging.

Do start reading opinion sections most days in the independant/herald now though, this will drastically improve your close reading
Hi just wondering if anyone could help with the deriving equation question? thanks
Hi just wondering if anyone could help with the deriving equation question? thanks

It is literally just one of the standard equations of motions (which you will find on the formula sheet) but rearranged!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please give me help on my investigation for Physics?

I'm applying for chemical engineering at uni so I want to do an investigation that ties in with engineering, if not it's ok though������

I thought about doing the breaking strength of materials but I didn't know if I could further expand upon that.

I also thought about a viscosity investigation.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

oh and I also enjoy maths vvv much so one which included a lot of maths would be perfect!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Anyone got scholar notes they could send me please?
Original post by Ecasx
Anyone got scholar notes they could send me please?

Are you not just finished nat5s?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending