The Student Room Group

How much money did you spend or how much are you taking for your FIRST week at uni?

Apologies in advance if a recent thread like this exists!

Hey,

I'm starting university in September. I have been saving, however due to the time of my course, I won't be able to continue my current job so I'll be leaving soon - so I'll be relying on my savings to be backup money for as long as possible.

I'm concerned about the first week of university, mostly. On other threads I've seen suggestions of around £600 throughout freshers - but this seems extremely over the top?? and I certainly won't have that to waste in one week.

I know a lot depends on how sensible you are, I'm personally not a big drinker, so I'm not concerned about that.

My question is: How much did you spend in your first week at uni? Or if you're like me, how much are planning on taking with you?

I was hoping £200 would be enough, is this reasonable?

Thanks for any responses!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
For the first week I think about £100 max. I probably won't buy drinks in clubs that much and will just rely on pre-drinks which hopefully shouldn't be too expensive specially if you buy with other people so most of that money will go on food and club entry. Even £100 seems like quite a lot tbh when I think about it, I'd aim for £50 but I think I'd probably be verging on £100.
Reply 2
It depends on how much you want to do during Fresher's Week. If you're going to sign up to loads of societies, go out every night and take parts in loads of activities during the day, you'll obviously need a fair amount of money. You'll need even more if you're planning to buy things such as a TV, printer and books. But if you're only doing a few things during the week, you won't need too much at all!

I think £600 is excessive. From my own experience, you could get away with as little as £75 a week, and I'd say a maximum of £300/£400 would be fair. I think I spent about £200.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I think £600 is so.damn expensive. Im budgeting like between £100 and £150. You wont need anymore me thinks.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bazingaaa!
Apologies in advance if a recent thread like this exists!

Hey,

I'm starting university in September. I have been saving, however due to the time of my course, I won't be able to continue my current job so I'll be leaving soon - so I'll be relying on my savings to be backup money for as long as possible.

I'm concerned about the first week of university, mostly. On other threads I've seen suggestions of around £600 throughout freshers - but this seems extremely over the top?? and I certainly won't have that to waste in one week.

I know a lot depends on how sensible you are, I'm personally not a big drinker, so I'm not concerned about that.

My question is: How much did you spend in your first week at uni? Or if you're like me, how much are planning on taking with you?

I was hoping £200 would be enough, is this reasonable?

Thanks for any responses!

£600 is ridiculous, full stop you;d have to be a raging alcoholic or very generous at buying everyone drinks spending that much.

On my first week of uni I spent around £70 on all the stuff I needed for my flat like pots pans, duvet, pillows etc. £30 on first food shop (my following food shops were much cheaper at around £10 a week) And although I didn't go out first week basing it on all the other times I went out to clubs and stuff it only cost like £10 a night because I wouldn't buy drinks in clubs only relied on pre-drinks we also just went to free entry clubs but I know a lot of place don't have any/many of those liverpool just has loads.
i'm bringing £1,000. i'm going to bathe in cocaine.

nah just kidding i don't really enjoy getting drunk so probably just about £70 if i were to go out most nights
Reply 6
take £600 if you want to take a Bentley to the club and back every night

otherwise £200 is fine

taking a bentley to the club every night and back would actualy make you a legend
I spent £200 at a Freshers event last year... 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had £400 for freshers but didn't use anywhere near that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I budgeted £200 and had quite a bit of money left over. Averaged around £25 per night out when including things like pre drinks, taxis and had virtually no other costs. My Mum bought me a load of food before she left, that along with the freebies from Freshers fair meant I barely spent a penny on food until the loan came in. Maybe £30 in total for things like transport to the city centre, signing up to societies and having a meal with my new flatmates but that's it. I didn't even unpack until the following Sunday because I spent so little time in my room.

£150 will be more than enough.
I can't remember in any great detail (it was 2011!) but I think it was in the region of £200 for me on things like tickets, drinks, fancy dress and food, but excluding set up costs like buying a set of pans.
Reply 11
I was thinking more like £50-60 looool. I have all my gear already though and my parents will be driving all my stuff with me.
Things you need to budget for:

-First food shop
-Kitchen stuff, bathroom stuff, stationery for uni, notebooks etc, any books you need for your course
-Freshers week
-Gym membership if you want to join sports teams
-Society membership

Honestly I spent about 500 when you add everything together
I spent less than 200 and went out ever night to the university events and stuff in town, though that didn't include any food shopping. Still, you can do it under 200 easy - thats like 28 a day. If you're a drinker, predrinking before going out makes things much cheaper. Also, try keeping an eye out for any bargain alcohol deals over the summer and stock up a bit.

I wouldn't say I was THAT careful with my money either tbh, I'm sure if you were smarter about it you'd have just as enjoyable a time for even less.

I didn't sign up to any of the expensive societies though, or buy gym membership but you don't need to do that in the first week anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending