The Student Room Group

S2 MEI OCR 10th June 2014 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Law-Hopeful
Which one?

1) Find it to 3dp
2) Use linear interpolation between values in the difference table when we need to find for example (PX<0.4125)

Doesn't using a calculator rather than a reading from the normal distribution values table, give faster and more accurate values anyway?
Original post by Tinglay
Doesn't using a calculator rather than a reading from the normal distribution values table, give faster and more accurate values anyway?

How would you use a calculator to find P(X<0.4125) for a normal distribution? :confused: That's the whole point of the normal tables...
How would you use a calculator to find P(X<0.4125) for a normal distribution? :confused: That's the whole point of the normal tables...

I've done every normal distribution question without the table and have acquired accurate figures lol (except the inverse normal tables)

If you have a fx-911 press setup, stat and then 1 and press ON. Then press shift 1(stat) and choose 5. The relevant options are 1 and 3. If the value is p(Z<0.4125) you plug it into the first option 1 P), if it's P(Z>0.4125) you plug it into R) the third option.

It is more accurate than the tables as it gives it to more than 3dp. You are less prone to making errors since you only have to plug in numbers, not read from some yellow table in a booklet.

However, since it's only a few days before the exam I would use your method and use the calculator to check only.
(edited 9 years ago)
Accuracy of the regression and residuals? Is it always to 3 significant figures?
You know when you're doing a hypothesis test fro the sample means, is the definition of μ the population mean of the sample or the original mean? I always seem to get this wrong :confused:

Original post by Tinglay
I've done every normal distribution question without the table and have acquired accurate figures lol (except the inverse normal tables)

If you have a fx-911 press setup, stat and then 1 and press ON. Then press shift 1(stat) and choose 5. The relevant options are 1 and 3. If the value is p(Z<0.4125) you plug it into the first option 1 P), if it's P(Z>0.4125) you plug it into R) the third option.

It is more accurate than the tables as it gives it to more than 3dp. You are less prone to making errors since you only have to plug in numbers, not read from some yellow table in a booklet.

However, since it's only a few days before the exam I would use your method and use the calculator to check only.

I have a Sharp EL-9900 but I think I'll use my method, thanks anyway!

Original post by visualcocaine
You know when you're doing a hypothesis test fro the sample means, is the definition of μ the population mean of the sample or the original mean? I always seem to get this wrong :confused:

Of the sample.
I have a Sharp EL-9900 but I think I'll use my method, thanks anyway!

Of the sample.

thank you :smile:
Reply 27
Hopefully this doesn't spend a day getting moderated like my last post with a link, these are really useful

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/?section=students&page=mei-revision

It covers all of the mei further maths except for S3,S4,DE and M3
μ= sample mean. When you're writing out your hypotheses, μ is the population (original) mean. Otherwise when you subtract the mean from your value, it'll give you 0.
How do we use the Normal difference tables to find for example P(X<0.4125)? Would we find P(X<0.413) or do we find 0.0005 between 0.002 and 0.003 using the difference tables then add it on to 0.412?

I always do it to 3dp and it gives me the right answer. If I were you, I wouldn't start messing around with interpolation, I don't think it would be accurate, given that the normal distribution graph is curved.
Does anyone else think that S2 just seems so much better than S1? Can't wait till tomorrow is over and done with!
Reply 31
Hi can anybody help me please? I'm doing the Jan 2013 past paper and for question 3(iv) why on the Mark scheme do they find the inverse value of 0.975 rather than 0.95?
If any one could help me I'd be very grateful thanks :smile:
Original post by candy963
Hi can anybody help me please? I'm doing the Jan 2013 past paper and for question 3(iv) why on the Mark scheme do they find the inverse value of 0.975 rather than 0.95?
If any one could help me I'd be very grateful thanks :smile:

That usually happens when there's a two tailed test :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by dianaantemir
That usually happens when there's a two tailed test :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you in this case I have to find the values of and and b in P(a<Y<b)=0.95 is this a two tailed test and how would you tell?
Reply 34
anyone got a mark scheme for june 2013?
Original post by Yorkmag

http://www.sixthform.m34maths.com/A-level%20exams/Stats2/ms%202013%20June%20S2.pdf

Thar you go, buddy.
Original post by Yorkmag

--
I think every question is straightfoward except 5 mark poisson distributions questions like the butterfly question in 2013 Jan, anyone have any tips for those?

Sometimes you have to use trial and error through tables, sometimes you have to use trial and error without the table, slightly confusing for me.
Reply 38

Thanks for that your a lifesaver!
Original post by Tinglay
I think every question is straightfoward except 5 mark poisson distributions questions like the butterfly question in 2013 Jan, anyone have any tips for those?

Sometimes you have to use trial and error through tables, sometimes you have to use trial and error without the table, slightly confusing for me.

Trial and error just kicks me in the butt so I use the inverse of normal for those instead, slightly easier but honestly it took me two days to fully understand it. And a lotta questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending