The Student Room Group

S2 MEI OCR 10th June 2014 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by candy963
Thank you in this case I have to find the values of and and b in P(a<Y<b)=0.95 is this a two tailed test and how would you tell?

The alternative hypotheses determines whether the test is two tailed or not. If the mean or rho (in the alternative hypotheses) doesn't equal 0 then the test is 2 tailed. If the mean or rho are either bigger or smaller than 0 then the test is single tailed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Help please guys :confused:
- Definition of a significance level?
- Advantages and disadvantages of using a 1% significance level rather than a 5 % significance level.
Original post by visualcocaine
- Advantages and disadvantages of using a 1% significance level rather than a 5 % significance level.

The significance level is the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis in a statistical test even when it's in fact, true

And I don't really know the answer for the second question myself haha sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Using 1% means it's less likely to reject the null hypothesis, disadvantage is that it's more likely to accept the alternative.
Reply 44

adv: less likely to reject the null hypothesis when it is true

disadv: more likely to accept the null hypothesis when it is false
Original post by dianaantemir
The significance level is the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis in a statistical test even when it's in fact, true

And I don't really know the answer for the second question myself haha sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha its cool, thank you though! :smile:
Oh whoooops, sg's got it. :biggrin:
Original post by sasunerd
Using 1% means it's less likely to reject the null hypothesis, disadvantage is that it's more likely to accept the alternative.

Thank youuuu! :smile:
Original post by sg1029
adv: less likely to reject the null hypothesis when it is true

disadv: more likely to accept the null hypothesis when it is false

Thank you! :smile:
Why is no one really stressed about this exam? It's actually really easy to make silly mistakes on this paper :mad:
Why is no one really stressed about this exam? It's actually really easy to make silly mistakes on this paper :mad:

I am extremely stressed because I always make silly mistakes and I don't even understand 1/2 of it.
Original post by Hoosierette
I am extremely stressed because I always make silly mistakes and I don't even understand 1/2 of it.

Ahh i understand but it's those little errors like getting a continuity correction wrong e.g 49.5 instead of 50.5 grrrrrr :angry: Those little mistakes can bring me down by so much because they just accumulate!
Ahh i understand but it's those little errors like getting a continuity correction wrong e.g 49.5 instead of 50.5 grrrrrr :angry: Those little mistakes can bring me down by so much because they just accumulate!

I am very stressed about this exam I want to get an A, this has helped me remember how to do continuity corrections ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402338177.054621.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dianaantemir
I am very stressed about this exam I want to get an A, this has helped me remember how to do continuity corrections ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402338177.054621.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

aw thanks, that's actually helpful :smile:
Reply 54
sometimes the probabilities such as 0.1 are positive when working out what k is...why?
Reply 55
how would you do qn 3 part 2 and 3 http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/s209jn_7sg7.pdf
Original post by Felt tip
sometimes the probabilities such as 0.1 are positive when working out what k is...why?

When k is above the mean, the inverse normal distribution value is a positive value, if it is below the mean then it is a negative value.
Original post by Tinglay
When k is above the mean, the inverse normal distribution value is a positive value, if it is below the mean then it is a negative value.

But sometimes you don't know what the mean is?
For part 2 you'd set up simultaneous equations using data from the tables as follows;

Φ-1 ( 0.70 ) = 0.5244
180 = μ + 0.5244 σ

Φ-1 ( 0.15 ) = 1.036
140 = μ 1.036 σ

(Subtracting one equation from the other)
40 = 1.5604 σ
σ = 25.63, μ = 166.55

For part 3 it would be two tailed due to the double inequality, so

Φ-1 ( 0.975 ) = 1.96

Plugging this value into the normal z equation gives

a = 166.55 1.96 × 25.63 = 116.3
b = 166.55 + 1.96 × 25.63 = 216.8

Hope this helps
Should answers always be given to 3sf or 4sf? Would you lose marks by giving it to the wrong degree of accuracy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending