The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

What happens at the international students' orientation? I can't imagine what they could tell you that you wouldn't find out for yourself in about 3 seconds once term starts.
University of York
York
It's basically how to register at the police station for those who need it, how to be safe in the UK, how to open bank accounts, the way thinks are graded/assessed, what is expected of you as an international student, etc... Contrary to popular belief, things are different the world over, especially schooling. I for one can say that the British university and American university systems are COMPLETELY different. Frankly, I'm scared because I have no idea what to expect at all.
How to register at a police station: nah, don't bother.

How to be safe in the UK: in the same way as anywhere else. Don't walk around in dark places at night by yourself.

How to open bank accounts: walk into bank, say 'hi, I'd like to open an account.'

The way things are graded: 70+ is a first, 60+ is a 2.1, 50+ is a 2.2, 40+ is a third.

What is expected of you as an international student: probably similar to what is expected of you as a domestic student.

'HTH.'
Reply 143
Opening a bank account in the UK is damn hard. You need a passport and everything and it's all very confusing and takes ages.

And I've lived my whole life in South Yorkshire.
Yeah. I'll admit, Britiain is a confusing place. Some things are so completely informal yet others make a machete necessary to cut through the miles of red tape.
Reply 145
I still don't understand why international students' orientation needs to take five days, maybe two or three!
Well when you think about it, we can't have a car load of stuff to take to school like most people can. I get two suitcases and that's it. I don't have room for bedding or pillows or towels or anything like that, so I have to find time to get it all in York. I know a lot of people are going to try and find a job in that time, including myself. As someone going through the process, trust me, I need all those 5 days to get everything set up.
Reply 147
I've got two suitcases too, I'm taking the train up. If I need anything I will have to buy it during Freshers week or some other time. I bought vacuum pack bags so I could bring bedding and towels.
Reply 148
I'm moving from countryland europe and have no idea how I'm gonna get all my stuff across the channel...i'm flying but Ill probably have to send a cargo for all my stuff...
he he...
Reply 149
Piska07
I'm moving from countryland europe and have no idea how I'm gonna get all my stuff across the channel...i'm flying but Ill probably have to send a cargo for all my stuff...
he he...

Cargo is expensive, it'd probably be cheaper to just buy another ticket or two and use that baggage allowance and you could even bring some more family members with you.
Reply 150
How nice it is to be able to just hop in a car with all my stuff and be at York in an hour or two :smile:

On another note it really isn't that hard to open a bank account in the UK, unless picking up two forms of ID and signing a form is a struggle for some people......at which point you'd have to ask why they're off to uni to begin with lol.
Reply 151
Im only an hour away too :smile:
it'll be nice getting there with all my luxuries hehe
i really can't wait :p:
anybody else yet to get their accomodation pack?

Latest