The Student Room Group

Leaving home

Iam a adult I what to leave my parents house once for all but what should I say to them first and how to pack and I have a TV in my bedroom how would I pack that
I don’t know if it was intentional, but you exhibit the tone of being quite a fed-up individual wanting a taste of the real world yourself and wanting to break free of these scruples which bound you. It all makes great daydreaming material but now, what are you doing? Is your life such throwaway that you’ll volunteer to have it dictated by an online forum and can you really even do anything if you’re so lay to be suggesting to pack ‘your’ TV in some sort of a magical backpack...?

Take a step back kid and don’t let impulse gnaw away at your future.
I'm definitely leaving home soon or I can just ask for a moving van
Have you found alternative accomodation to move your stuff into? :confused:
Are members of your household abusive towards you or just very annoying people you don't want to live with any more?
Do you have any friends with large cars/vans willing to help you move or do you have to rely upon hiring a man with van removals business?
Yes I have friends
Original post by Ineffable-
I don’t know if it was intentional, but you exhibit the tone of being quite a fed-up individual wanting a taste of the real world yourself and wanting to break free of these scruples which bound you. It all makes great daydreaming material but now, what are you doing? Is your life such throwaway that you’ll volunteer to have it dictated by an online forum and can you really even do anything if you’re so lay to be suggesting to pack ‘your’ TV in some sort of a magical backpack...?

Take a step back kid and don’t let impulse gnaw away at your future.

Your comment intrigued me. Does this also reflect upon yourself and your own uses of an online forum? What makes you think it is an impulse decision? How old are you to refer to the person as "kid"
Original post by pips1242
Your comment intrigued me. Does this also reflect upon yourself and your own uses of an online forum? What makes you think it is an impulse decision? How old are you to refer to the person as "kid"

I mean they are not wrong in their analysis of the Op's situation in my opinion.
Original post by Scotney
I mean they are not wrong in their analysis of the Op's situation in my opinion.

No they weren't wrong at all, their analysis surprised me
I have friends yes what do you mean abusetive
(edited 1 year ago)
First things first cos it's not really clear: do you actually have somewhere else safe and sustainable to live and means to support yourself in the mid-to-long-term? E.g. a full-time job or a course? A flat or place in a househshare or a family member willing to put you up?

If you're still in this process of sorting this stuff out, it might be a good idea to let your fam know now you're looking to move soon, just to prepare them. They may be able to offer some help and support with the process too.
Once you're ready to actually move, just have a conversation with your family. Let them know that you'll be moving, where to, who you'll be living with and how you'll be supporting yourself. They'll likely have questions, especially if this is something a bit unexpected, and might be concerned that you're making the right/safe decision, so make sure you're prepared to answer how you'll be able to afford to support yourself financially and if you've really thought through the practicalities, etc.

About the actual move:
It's most likely not going to be worth hiring movers for a small amount of stuff unless your moving a vast distance or you have no other options.
Your best options are to either:
- Ask a friend/family member if you can make use of their large car/small van.
Or
- You/a friend/family member could rent a van/car for a few hours/a day.

Make sure you offer anyone helping you something in return for their time/use of their vehicle (e.g. petrol money, some flowers, taking them out to dinner, buying them some nice wine, etc. Whatever seems appropriate and within your budget).
In terms of packing up your stuff, make sure all your valuable/fragile stuff is wrapped up well (e.g. with bubble wrap and cardboard). Most other stuff can go in suitcases and bin bags or boxes.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by pips1242

It is an honour that my words intrigue you and I appreciate your contemplation on their context. We netizens have no surefire way of verifying another’s identity or age for that matter on forums and hence when we label someone as ‘kid’ or ‘not kid’, it is based on pure assumption and in some cases not reflecting the pure meaning of the world. In intellectual capacity, children are seen to be beneath their other human counterparts and hence by assuming another to be beneath one, the word ‘kid’ is often thrown around. In my case, it’s a mix of both while also a tool to conjure a specific tone.

Hope you found that insightful kid,
- Ineffable
Well i do have friends im going be leaving home soon as possible iv decided what would I tell my family is there a phone number I need to contact
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ineffable-
It is an honour that my words intrigue you and I appreciate your contemplation on their context. We netizens have no surefire way of verifying another’s identity or age for that matter on forums and hence when we label someone as ‘kid’ or ‘not kid’, it is based on pure assumption and in some cases not reflecting the pure meaning of the world. In intellectual capacity, children are seen to be beneath their other human counterparts and hence by assuming another to be beneath one, the word ‘kid’ is often thrown around. In my case, it’s a mix of both while also a tool to conjure a specific tone.

Hope you found that insightful kid,
- Ineffable

True to your name, your notions are ineffable.
Reply 13
I what to leave home next year but don't know how to tell my parents
Reply 14
How old are you.Are you working or going to uni?
Reply 15
What's is unvesty
bro is trollling
Original post by Anonymous
bro is trollling

PRSOM apparently
Reply 18
I what to leave home next year iam 25 what do I say to my parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending