Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah22345
Was Gerrard playing ?

Original post by sarah22345
Gerrard>>> Pirlo

Make up your mind mate.
Reply 61
Original post by Jakebarker1605
Admittedly Pirlo offered absolutely nothing at the back. I'm welsh, so I was rooting for the Italians, but I saw faults in both sides, the left hand side needs sorting for England definitely, as well as johnson, but you shouldn't have trouble with Costa Rica at least. Maybe, with what you're saying about conditioned, but I genuinely thought it was only him and sterling who showed any real quality tonight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the issue with pirlo not defending is that you need such things from central midfielders.
i know he's old, but he still needs to offer something defensively, because italy weren't exactly perfect at the back.

i agree - baines had a bad game in general, but rooney just didn't bother trying to cover him.
he might not be used to the role, but the principles of defending aren't difficult.

i think we'll beat uruguay and costa rica to go through 2nd.
shouldn't be a problem since we'll only be facing colombia or ivory coast most likely (i think).

with regards to quality, i agree.
sterling (and maybe welbeck) was the only england player who gave consistent quality tonight.
Reply 62
Thing is though that Rooney went to the right and the second goal still came from Baines side. So it's clearly poor defending from Baines.
and scousers were really trying to say gerrard was better than scholes. ferguson was right when he said gerrard was never this top top player that the english media created
Original post by matthewduncan
and scousers were really trying to say gerrard was better than scholes. ferguson was right when he said gerrard was never this top top player that the english media created

Gerrard wasnt that bad and even so one game does not define a player. Gerrard in his prime would walk into almost any team regardless of what Fergie said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Thing is though that Rooney went to the right and the second goal still came from Baines side. So it's clearly poor defending from Baines.

Just as bad defending from Cahill though, he knew where Mario was and still didn't stay anywhere near close enough too him.
Reply 66
A shame he hit the bar with his free kick. What an effort that was. Should have been a goal.
Reply 67
Original post by scotttb
Just as bad defending from Cahill though, he knew where Mario was and still didn't stay anywhere near close enough too him.

Yeah Cahill was poor for the second.

Cahill's always has had a problem with getting tight to people, Terry usually is the one who does the aggressive defending and marking people tightly when needs must.

Also while Pirlo was always a good free kick taker, you have to say that he's improved in that regard.
Reply 68
We can analyse more and more, the fact is that Uruguay are on Thursday and they need to win, therefore, particularly if Suarez is not fit, they'll be there for the taking at the back and I think the direct running and long balls over the top are really going to cause guys like Lugano problems, he's possibly the slowest man I've ever seen play professional football, he makes Mertesacker look pretty average paced, Maxi Pereira is suspended. Jorge Fucile is probably going to replace him and he's hardly seen any football this season at Porto. Raheem/Rooney/Welbeck/Lallana could all have him on a plate. Cacares didn't cover himself in glory last time out either so whoever doesn't get Fucile, has another dodgy defender to run straight at all day while Sturridge keeps targeting Lugano. Godin is about the only solid player in that back line.
Original post by ArsenalWenger
Gerrard wasnt that bad and even so one game does not define a player. Gerrard in his prime would walk into almost any team regardless of what Fergie said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no he wouldnt.
Premier league teams yes teams in the world? nah.
Wouldnt walk into madrid 2002-2005 team.milan 2004-2007 or barca 09-11. hes a liability as a cm but because he scores from long shots and will get you goals it masks that
Reply 70
no he wouldnt.
Premier league teams yes teams in the world? nah.
Wouldnt walk into madrid 2002-2005 team.milan 2004-2007 or barca 09-11. hes a liability as a cm but because he scores from long shots and will get you goals it masks that

Nah man, I think you have a bit of a bias against him.
Gerrard is captain of club and country for a reason.
In his prime, he was world class.

Maybe he isn't anymore, but the guy was talking about when Gerrard was best, not the aged, less mobile Gerrard now.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
Nah man, I think you have a bit of a bias against him.
Gerrard is captain of club and country for a reason.
In his prime, he was world class.

Maybe he isn't anymore, but the guy was talking about when Gerrard was best, not the aged, less mobile Gerrard now.

He was world class in his prime but it doesn't mean he would get into "any team".
Reply 72
He was world class in his prime but it doesn't mean he would get into "any team".

i personally didn't say he would get in to "any" team - the guy before me made quite a wide statement.
no player could get in to any team, since teams are set up in different ways; some people may be effective in one team but near-useless in another.

the fact is that people underestimate gerrard, and have their own bias against him due to club level dislike.
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
i personally didn't say he would get in to "any" team - the guy before me made quite a wide statement.
no player could get in to any team, since teams are set up in different ways; some people may be effective in one team but near-useless in another.

the fact is that people underestimate gerrard, and have their own bias against him due to club level dislike.

Yeah gettin into any team is an exageration by me but Gerrard was a world class player in his prime and anyone who argues that clearly didnt see enough of him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Fact is no one has a clue what they are talking about but act as though they do.

Quick Reply

Latest