The Student Room Group

FP2 MEI OCR Official Thread - 23rd June 2014

Poll

How did you find it?

This is the official thread for FP2 MEI OCR, to be taken on 23rd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by googlebotsgoogle
This is the official thread for FP2 MEI OCR, to be taken on 23rd June 2014.

do you have any good revision material for it
Hah, I am so not prepared for this one.
slightly terrified of this exam
Reply 4
How's everyone feeling? Its my last exam, so I'm going to re-do every paper from now till the exam. See you on the other side!
I really like this exam, it's lovely, hyperbolics are difficult for me though :/
Reply 6
Original post by inneedofhelpp
do you have any good revision material for it

Integral Maths is the best you're gonna get, tbh...not that it's bad.

Also, examsolutions has parts of it, and also check out http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/?section=students&page=mei-revision.

Though all they do is working for a few past paper questions. Heh.
Reply 7
If the determinant of a 3x3 matrix is the "signed" scale factor of the transformation it represents, what is a signed scale factor?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1403266417.860547.jpg

Part one of this hyperbolic functions question has really confused me and my teacher!! Basically, what IS a "Stationary value"?? In the mark scheme it finds the second derivative and shows it equal to 0, but why? What defines a stationary value? (Different to a stationary point)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Can someone explain to me on the jan 06 paper, question 1 a) ii) the polar coordinate intergration why the limits are pi/6 to -pi/6? I can't get my head round why
Original post by abc168
Can someone explain to me on the jan 06 paper, question 1 a) ii) the polar coordinate intergration why the limits are pi/6 to -pi/6? I can't get my head round why

It wants the area of one of the three loops of the curve so the bottom limit would be when cos3x = 0 which is -pi/6 and the top limit would be the next value for x when cos3x = 0. You could take the limits to be pi/6 and 3pi/6 and that again would be the area of one of the loops.
Original post by sarahwaymouth
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1403266417.860547.jpg

Part one of this hyperbolic functions question has really confused me and my teacher!! Basically, what IS a "Stationary value"?? In the mark scheme it finds the second derivative and shows it equal to 0, but why? What defines a stationary value? (Different to a stationary point)

Posted from TSR Mobile

what paper is this
Also not looking forward to this exam! :afraid:

Going to cram it all in tomorrow then spend sunday doing past papers...

This isn't going to end well is it? :tongue:
What does 'realise the denominator' mean? I didn't do it and I managed to lose 7 marks on just 1 question.
This was in june 2009 paper q.3b
Original post by pujah0ntas
What does 'realise the denominator' mean? I didn't do it and I managed to lose 7 marks on just 1 question.
This was in june 2009 paper q.3b

I'm looking at this question but can't see a 'realise the denominator' in the question... :confused:

Just a standard complex number summation question by the looks of it. :smile:
does anyone have june 13?
It is just a summation but in order to get the answer that they've given you have to 'realise the denominator' and I don't understand why. I read the examiners report as well and they said that many candidates failed to do so.
Reply 17
Is it true that this year mei have removed the choice of which question 4 you do? Have they removed the investigating of curves question and that everyone has to do the hyperbolic question?
Original post by abc168
Is it true that this year mei have removed the choice of which question 4 you do? Have they removed the investigating of curves question and that everyone has to do the hyperbolic question?

Yes. Hardly anyone chose Investigation of Curves anyway (which is why they removed it).
Original post by pujah0ntas
It is just a summation but in order to get the answer that they've given you have to 'realise the denominator' and I don't understand why. I read the examiners report as well and they said that many candidates failed to do so.

I think it means rationalize the denominator so all of the imaginary parts are in the numerator.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending