The Student Room Group

FP2 MEI OCR Official Thread - 23rd June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JackVM
Well, the mean mark for an A is 57.8 odd and mean difference between grades is about 7? (Calculated it a for days ago but I've forgotten exactly.
now

The mean for an A on the modern MEI FP2 is 55.4, but it's evident in more recent years people are better prepared for it and have scored, on average, higher than say between 2006-2010.
Reply 181
Original post by WinOrDie
Same needed an a* dont think i got it so :frown:

Same here made so many stupid mistakes :frown:
Original post by Political Cake
Haha who is knowing that? :wink:
Besides, I'm certainly not. I avoided doing this one last year and it's the only module I've had to teach myself over this year so I anticipate doing far better in the other modules, my aim for this one is solely to make up the numbers for an A overall. :colondollar:

I'm sure you'll do far better anyway..! :tongue:

Seen on you on other threads you seemed confident :P
Original post by JackVM
That f***ing complex number question. I knew how to do it (making the denominator real in the C+jS bit) but I didn't have time, as the only method I could see involved a considerable amount of algebra.

The hypobolic functions - let 2x=5coshu bit wasn't pretty either, I got half of the final equation right, but not the other half.

Neither did I :'(
Reply 184
Original post by dada55
Unfortunately you made the same mistake as me, remember that the area of a polar curve is r^2/2 so we had to integrate (2x)^2/2

yeah ofcourse!! No idea why i integrqted like a cartesian curve :L
Reply 185
Same needed an a* dont think i got it so :frown:

Cheer up :P at least it's all over now (I'm presuming this was your last exam) besides A in FP2 is still quite an impressive feat :smile:
Seen on you on other threads you seemed confident :P

Yes, very confident on others but FP2 is frankly death to me..! :biggrin:

Original post by JackVM
(I'm presuming this was your last exam)

Hah, all the invigilators were practically packing all the exam related notices away while were were close to finishing the exam... :tongue:
It was rather distracting, actually. :mad:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mathematigeek
Yea I've done really badly (just no where near well enough). It wasn't due to lack of knowledge though, it was just me letting personal problems get in my way. There was just no need to be so overconfident and knock the rest of us down :/ it's a lot harder than past papers :/

I agree that it was a harder paper than usual! :redface:

I messed up the area for the polar coordinates because I did normal integration the small angle approximation threw me :frown: I think a lot of people would have messed up the hexagon question and the eigenvectors, and let's not talk about the hyperbolics question... :afraid:
Original post by Law-Hopeful
I agree that it was a harder paper than usual! :redface:

I messed up the area for the polar coordinates because I did normal integration the small angle approximation threw me :frown: I think a lot of people would have messed up the hexagon question and the eigenvectors, and let's not talk about the hyperbolics question... :afraid:

YEa, I really think it was.
So did I! Feel like such an idiot now I know how simple it was :frown: the hyperbolics was just awful. And riven vectors catches people out all the time.

Idk how to feel :frown: I'm glad my exams are over but I'm gutted with how it went :frown:
Reply 189
Yea I've done really badly (just no where near well enough). It wasn't due to lack of knowledge though, it was just me letting personal problems get in my way. There was just no need to be so overconfident and knock the rest of us down :/ it's a lot harder than past papers :/

Same story here. I don't think I did bad exactly, probably a high B/low A but there is absolutely 0 chance of me getting the A* I needed for my firm.

Maybe the grade boundaries will be low eh? :smile:
Original post by JackVM
Same story here. I don't think I did bad exactly, probably a high B/low A but there is absolutely 0 chance of me getting the A* I needed for my firm.

Maybe the grade boundaries will be low eh? :smile:

I've done a lot worse than that :/ m sorry to hear that :/ I guess we just have to wait and see now :frown:

I hope you do well
Reply 191
The mean for an A on the modern MEI FP2 is 55.4, but it's evident in more recent years people are better prepared for it and have scored, on average, higher than say between 2006-2010.

Yes, I excluded some of the older papers when I worked it out for that reason.
Reply 192
I've done a lot worse than that :/ m sorry to hear that :/ I guess we just have to wait and see now :frown:

I hope you do well

Thanks, I hope you do well too. It's probably not as bad as you think, just try to forget about it and deal with any fallout when you know what the grades are, not before. At least it's over now, we never have to go to an FP2 lesson again.
The show that questions...

1) a) Given x=arccos(x), show that dy/dx = -1/√{1-x2)

=> x=cos(y)x = cos(y)
=> dxdy=sin(y)\frac{dx}{dy} = -sin(y)
=> dydx=1sin(y)\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-1}{sin(y)}

Now, sin2(y)=1cos2(y)sin^2(y) = 1 - cos^2(y)
So, sin(y)=1cos2(y)sin(y) = \sqrt{1 - cos^2(y)}

=> dydx=11cos2(y)\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-1}{\sqrt{1 - cos^2(y)}}
=> dydx=11x2\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-1}{\sqrt{1 - x^{2}}}

4) a) Given sinh(y)=x; show that y=ln(x+√(x​2+1))

=> x=eyey2x = \frac{e^y-e^{-y}}{2}
=> 2x=eyey2x = e^y-e^{-y}
=> 2xey=e2y12xe^y = e^{2y}-1
=> e2y2xey+1=0e^{2y}-2xe^y+1=0
=> ey=2x±4x2+42=2x±2x2+12=x±x2+1e^y=\frac{2x\pm \sqrt{4x^2+4}}{2} = \frac{2x\pm 2\sqrt{x^2+1}}{2} = x\pm \sqrt{x^2+1}
=> y=ln(x±x2+1)y=ln(x\pm \sqrt{x^2+1})

However, xx2+1<0x - \sqrt{x^2+1} <0 so reject negative root.

=> y=ln(x+x2+1)y=ln(x + \sqrt{x^2+1})
YEa, I really think it was.
So did I! Feel like such an idiot now I know how simple it was :frown: the hyperbolics was just awful. And riven vectors catches people out all the time.

Idk how to feel :frown: I'm glad my exams are over but I'm gutted with how it went :frown:

Same, but if you say r=2theta that should get a mark (I hope!).

For the hyperbolics the last question was similar to some that have come up before, but I still couldn't do it. I couldn't get the second part of the ln! :frown:

Just chill and be happy your exams are over! There's nothing you can do now I'm sure you did better than you thought! :smile:
Original post by JackVM
Yes, I excluded some of the older papers when I worked it out for that reason.

Who knows! We can hope that the majority have regressed a few year. A world cup here, january exams vanishing over there... we can hope..! :smile:
Reply 196
Who knows! We can hope that the majority have regressed a few year. A world cup here, january exams vanishing over there... we can hope..! :smile:

That's a very good point actually, I forgot most people are doing loads of exams this summer (I'm only taking two subjects, so it's been normal for me)
Fingers crossed for low grade boundaries :smile:
Reply 197
The exam was okay, I felt like I knew how to do everything, except it didn't have enough time to write it all down D: I needed an A* but I think I've already lost at least 7 marks just from not having enough time, if only exam papers could read your mind! I guess I'll have to try and make it up with Step 2 this Thursday (cries inside).
The question 'prove r increases as theta increases' , how many marks was it? and can someone please show me how they did it.
Original post by Rex Regum
The question 'prove r increases as theta increases' , how many marks was it? and can someone please show me how they did it.

It was part of the sketch the curve question for a total of 4 marks - so probably 2 for each.

I found dr/dtheta = 1 +costheta

-1<costheta<1 therefore dr/dtheta >0 therefore increasing function.

That's what I did anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending