The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Students - How cold are we talkin'? :)

Hello :smile:

I have an unconditional offer to study at St Andrews so I know that I will definitely be going up to Scotland soon. My parents have warned me that it is especially cold up there and only to bring thermals and turtlenecks. Can any St Andrews students or former St Andrews students confirm this or recommend what to bring clothing-wise?

Thank you! xo
Original post by Alexandra*
Hello :smile:

I have an unconditional offer to study at St Andrews so I know that I will definitely be going up to Scotland soon. My parents have warned me that it is especially cold up there and only to bring thermals and turtlenecks. Can any St Andrews students or former St Andrews students confirm this or recommend what to bring clothing-wise?

Thank you! xo

It's not THAT cold, and we sure do get some good weather. It depends where you're from how much of a change it will be to you? If you're from England/Wales (I'm assuming so since you said 'up there') then it's not going to be that much of a difference. You'll definitely need a good winter coat and some jumpers for the winter, just like anywhere else.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by Ecosse_14
It's not THAT cold, and we sure do get some good weather. It depends where you're from how much of a change it will be to you? If you're from England/Wales (I'm assuming so since you said 'up there') then it's not going to be that much of a difference. You'll definitely need a good winter coat and some jumpers for the winter, just like anywhere else.

Thank you for your reply :smile: I'm from Portsmouth... :P
Reply 3
Think average temperature is very close to UK's average.
Reply 4
Bit late to the party, but I'll add that no, it's not THAT cold. I found the winter temperature reasonably bearable with a Barbour and a layer or two of sweaters. However, what people don't generally talk about is the truly hard part of St Andrews winters– the darkness. I found the short days extremely depressing, and much harder to cope with than the cold. Just something to keep in mind!
It is not cold, it is part of a micro-climate with pretty hot weather (comparatively). The number of American students who come over with Wellies and ridiculously overdone winter clothes are astounding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending