The Student Room Group

Any remedies for hay fever?

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who suffers from hay fever, it's such a nuisance! Nasal sprays and anti-histamines work pretty well, but I don't really like the thought of using them too much, they are drugs after all :biggrin:

Does anyone have any remedies for hay fever? I've read a few things on the internet and they say things like eat more fruit and veg, but I already eat plenty!
Eye sprays (you close your eyes and spritz your eyes to relieve the pain and itchiness - they are a bit pricey however), if anti-histamines work then I'd recommend using them, Wilkos sell them for like 19p! I wouldn't go down the homeopathic route as it's not been proven it works!
Reply 2
Isn't there some syrup you can buy. Or a tablet.
Reply 3
cetrizine hydrochloride has been working for me so far, this year my hayfevers been annoyingly bad!
Just keep using the antihistamines, they aren't that bad for you. Heard a rumor when I was little that if you mix sugar and water and put some under your nose and eyes the pollen spores get trapped there and can't irritate you, but it could just be rubbish!

I'm a loratadine kinda girl, and some times if I get really bad I take 2 instead of one.

Always take a tablet as soon as you wake up, and I try to take one before I go to bed :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Different antihistamines work for different people apparently.

Loratadine/desloratadine doesn't do anything for me, fexofenadine works, but cetirizine is the best (and the derivative levocetirizine, which is effectively the same thing, but a lot more expensive). Guess we just have to try them all!

As for actual cure, there is a lot of BS on the internet. The only actual cure scientifically proven to work is desensitization therapy. From what I heard (not confirmed), it's long, hard, and expensive. Most people (like myself) just don't bother with it and just keep taking antihistamine, which doesn't seem to have any long term side effect.
I don't have hay fever but I had read somewhere that the salty air near the sea can help... I'm not suggesting everyone with hay fever moves to the sea but do you notice it not being bad is you are by the sea? I'm just wondering if it's true as I have a friend who avoids going out in the hot weather and would like to suggest the beach if it doesn't make it worse :smile:
I have heard that if you put a tiny bit of vaseline up your nostrils in the morning, it should trap the pollen before it gets into your system - I guess it's worth a try if your hay fever is bad.
drinks a lot of water take a rest and drink your medicine on time.
Reply 9
Ice helps. Eat it and cool your wrists with it i find it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loritadine doesn't work for me. I've started taking cetrizine which works, but makes me really sleepy.
Which symptoms do you find the worst to cope with? I've got very bad hayfever (I've actually had anaphylaxis off grass pollen which is very rare indeed, plus I've been sneezing so much and so violently recently that every time I do I now get heavy nosebleeds and a really sore throat).

I also understand your reluctance to use anti-histamines. Whilst they have few serious side effects, I am also in the same boat in that I try to minimise medicine usage until I actually *really* need it. Overuse of histamines can also lead to desensitization so then you'll have nothing effective for when you really need it.

Personally I only use anti-histamines when it's a) really bad, or b) there's any swelling (e.g. face or whatever starting to swell).

As for homeopathic or other medicinal routes, I would strongly advise against them. Most of them are useless, and in the worst case, downright dangerous.

So which symptoms do you find the most annoying? Personally, I can cope with nasal problems, but the one I find unbearable is itchy eyes. The best thing of course is to stop rubbing them - it really does help if you can resist for ~5 minutes, but failing that, try saline eye drops. Just pure saline (water) - no active ingredient. The idea is that it washes the pollen out of the eye. It's not perfect, there's still the tiniest itch left, but it's an absolute blessed relief. For eyes, saline eye drops :smile:

Richard
Original post by InsertWittyName
Loritadine doesn't work for me. I've started taking cetrizine which works, but makes me really sleepy.

There have been many clinical studies suggesting that cetirizine works significantly better than loratadine, for seasonal allergic rhinitis. Some studies even suggest that loratadine is not statistically significantly more effective than placebo.

Many people do swear by loratadine, though.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9291422
(terfenadine is the precursor to fexofenadine/Allegra. Equally effective, but banned now due to serious interactions with some fruits)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9105526

Unfortunately cetirizine does make some people really sleepy. Seems to be very dependent on the person. It doesn't make me sleepy at all.

Maybe try taking it before going to bed every night? It's only 1 dose per day, so it's not supposed to really matter when you take it.
Original post by President Snow
Which symptoms do you find the worst to cope with? I've got very bad hayfever (I've actually had anaphylaxis off grass pollen which is very rare indeed, plus I've been sneezing so much and so violently recently that every time I do I now get heavy nosebleeds and a really sore throat).

I also understand your reluctance to use anti-histamines. Whilst they have few serious side effects, I am also in the same boat in that I try to minimise medicine usage until I actually *really* need it. Overuse of histamines can also lead to desensitization so then you'll have nothing effective for when you really need it.

Personally I only use anti-histamines when it's a) really bad, or b) there's any swelling (e.g. face or whatever starting to swell).

As for homeopathic or other medicinal routes, I would strongly advise against them. Most of them are useless, and in the worst case, downright dangerous.

So which symptoms do you find the most annoying? Personally, I can cope with nasal problems, but the one I find unbearable is itchy eyes. The best thing of course is to stop rubbing them - it really does help if you can resist for ~5 minutes, but failing that, try saline eye drops. Just pure saline (water) - no active ingredient. The idea is that it washes the pollen out of the eye. It's not perfect, there's still the tiniest itch left, but it's an absolute blessed relief. For eyes, saline eye drops :smile:

Richard

Desensitization is something I worried about, too, but I couldn't find any literature suggesting that people really get desensitized to anti-histamines. I have been taking cetirizine everyday for years now, and it still seems to be just as effective at the same dose.

... it does get @#$@#%ing expensive, though.
Original post by ihavemooedtoday
Desensitization is something I worried about, too, but I couldn't find any literature suggesting that people really get desensitized to anti-histamines. I have been taking cetirizine everyday for years now, and it still seems to be just as effective at the same dose.

... it does get @#$@#%ing expensive, though.

Yeah, it's not something my doctor took very seriously either, it's just that I've talked to others with very bad hayfever like mine about how they coped (when I had my first anaphylactic reaction), several of them thought that they had become desensitized because there were various anti-histamines that no longer worked for them. I don't know, it's a tiny sample size with no real weight or scientific evidence to back it up.

Quick Reply

Latest