The Student Room Group

Benefits of studying at a lower ranked university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eloades11
Source please, or avoid making ridiculous statements in the future.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/jul/15/employment-statistics-university-graduates

London met has one of the lowest % of graduates in employment or studying.

Can't believe you actually needed a source for this :rolleyes:
I don't believe everything I read, I think it's a perfectly reasonable statement to ask for a source. You should probably try it too.

First of all, that's not what you said. You both claim that a 2:1 or a first is not good for employment. That wasn't addressed in the data you sent me, just that they have a lower percentage of graduate employment. What was the percentage of employment among those who got high grades in their degree at London Met? You're also assuming that getting a degree in maths will have the same employment prospects as someone with a degree in biology, both from London Met, both with firsts.

Secondly, I don't doubt that London Met has the lowest % of graduate employment. But I can almost guarantee there's a correlation between employment and degree classification.

I went with data that was available. So are you saying the sole reason for London met graduates having a low employment rate is that very few students get 2.1s or 1st? Since you're so fond of sources, why don't you find us one for stats on degree classifications.

Some employers do care about university reputation, whether you like it or not. They won't say it openly to protect their own reputation, but it's ignorant to think they see all universities as equal. Employers from Finance and IB sectors, for example, aim to recruit most of their graduate intake from their target unis - it's common knowledge. But this is not to say that going to London met would automatically prevent you from getting a good job - I'm just saying that it wouldn't exactly add any weight to your CV.
How boring is it to be the best among the cohort at a university? Is the university really just a piece of paper to you?

I would much rather be the bottom of the cohort at a university than top of the cohort.

If you are the bottom of the cohort, you'll learn so much more and get so much more out of your degree, and be so much more knowledgeable about your subject in the end. Who cares if you get a first or 2:1?

I was among the top of the cohort for my undergrad and I absolutely hated that. I hated never being able to find help from classmates when I needed it, and I hated the lectures getting slowed down by people taking much longer to grasp the material than I did.

For my master's I picked a university that will virtually ensure that I will be the bottom of the cohort, for that reason.

Please don't make that mistake.
Understandable, and good data it was.

I didn't say that.

That's what I asked you for, initially.

I didn't argue that employers don't care about university reputation. I acknowledge this, and in fact agree with it. I'm glad you cleared up that it won't prevent you getting a job, but in terms of "adding weight to your CV", that's very debatable. I can't be bothered to explain why, though it may be obvious.

I'm not sure where the condescending undertone to your posts is coming from, but I stand by my advice to the OP. Whatever the reasons, having one of the lowest percentage of graduates in employment or education should be of concern to perspective students. I thought it was too obvious to point out that you can still get a good job if you go to London Met by getting good grades, solid work experience etc., but why take the risk if you have the grades to go somewhere else? Graduate job market is fiercely competitive as it is; is seems silly to not do everything you can to stand out from the crowd.
It sounds like you want to go to a uni like London Met because you think the exams are easier. Whilst this maybe the case, employers know this too which makes your degree less respected.

Not sure why you're talking about being top of the class. Employers would never know if you are as they will only see your classification. Unis also don't award firsts to a select few at the top. If you get the marks, you will get a first wherever you go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mA*ths
But why? Isn't a first the same standard across all universities? Why would it matter if I got it from London Met or a top 10 uni, I thought like an A* grade at A levels first represents the same achievement whether you went to a private or a state school or whether you went to a top 10 university or a lower ranked one.

No, no, a thousand times no. As has been pointed out, unis set their own papers so the standard is not comparable.

As well as the prestige of a degree from a more selective institution, there is also the small matter of what you will study for the next 3 years.

Deliberately going for a lower-ranked uni is like a football player who wants to play in league 1 rather than the premiership. "But I'll be one of the best players then, instead of having to work my butt off to get into the first team of a top club."

Your attitude should not be how do I do the least I can to get a first. It should be how can I prove and improve myself to the best of my ability. That is what university is about. Those who don't agree should think twice about going to university at all.
It is understandable that people want high qualifications from top institutions but this forum is absolutely riddled with people who give no sign of embracing any concept of education in a broader sense and the joys and benefits thereof, nor some of the wider implications of simply trying to game the system for the sole purpose of gaining a first. The irony is that these crashingly boring one dimensional figures make little progress in the higher end game of having a fulfilling productive and happy life. We are well on our way to producing force fed joyless drones like many Asian countries.

In the OP's case London Met might be the best place for him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Old_Simon
It is understandable that people want high qualifications from top institutions but this forum is absolutely riddled with people who give no sign of embracing any concept of education in a broader sense and the joys and benefits thereof, nor some of the wider implications of simply trying to game the system for the sole purpose of gaining a first. The irony is that these crashingly boring one dimensional figures make little progress in the higher end game of having a fulfilling productive and happy life. We are well on our way to producing force fed joyless drones like many Asian countries.

I agree with the sentiment if not the xenophobia.
I don't know why this is even being debated. OP is clearly trolling and judging by his other posts he is currently sitting his exams
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by mA*ths
I got A*A*A*A in Maths, History, Geography and English Literature A Levels and 12A*'s at GCSE. After taking some time off school and academia, I'm applying to university to study History. Obviously universities such as Oxford, Durham and UCL have sprung to mind first, however I'm also tempted to apply to London Met and another non Russel Group university, as by going to a lower ranked university, I will be more likely to be the best amongst my cohort and therefore will be more likely to achieve a first. I am a little bit worried about London Met though, I've heard that their entry requirements are really high and have been told that I shouldn't bother applying as I will likely be immediately rejected. Do you think it's worthwhile giving them a whirl? I will work very hard. :colondollar:

Blatant troll.
Source please, or avoid making ridiculous statements in the future.

its logical
a not-so applicable degree history is a disadvantage at first
A further disadvantage is studying such a degree at an institution as poor as london met

the application will likely be binned if other qualities aren't outstanding like c.v, interview etc... and at a lower down university people get less careers guidance for these things - more likely to get binned

I didn't say for all cases the application would be binned, I'm just making a general statement

Quick Reply

Latest