The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Uni of Birmingham vs Uni of York for MSc Econ

Glad to share that I've been accepted by the University of Birmingham and York recently! I have an unconditional offer from York and for Birmingham it's a conditional offer that requires me to confirm acceptance by 29th Feb.

I'm leaning more to York over Birmingham as it's higher ranked by REPEC and economics at Birmingham is part of the Business department. But if I secure a significant scholarship - more than 7000 pounds, I would be tempted to accept Birmingham.

Still waiting on a response from the remaining unis and especially want a reply from Nottingham, Manchester, Warwick and LSE soon. Please let me know if I'm right about this. York is slightly lower than Birmingham as per QS but significantly lower in THE rankings. But for RePEc York is 61 and Birmingham is 120 and for ARWU also Birmingham is 151-200 while York is 51-75.
Forget about rankings - they aren’t measuring what you think they are.

For an MSc you will be living and studying in a university for a very short time. What is most important is to choose somewhere that you think you will settle in and be comfortable quickly and a course with content you are confident you will find interesting and within your abilities.

Scraping a pass or failing an MSc because you are unhappy or struggling with the work is the worst outcome. Studying somewhere you thrive and get the best results possible AND are happy and motivated to take advantage of the opportunities outside your studies is what is most important for your employability
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by PQ
Forget about rankings - they aren’t measuring what you think they are.

For an MSc you will be living and studying in a university for a very short time. What is most important is to choose somewhere that you think you will settle in and be comfortable quickly and a course with content you are confident you will find interesting and within your abilities.

Scraping a pass or failing an MSc because you are unhappy or struggling with the work is the worst outcome. Studying somewhere you thrive and get the best results possible AND are happy and motivated to take advantage of the opportunities outside your studies is what is most important for your employability

Got it. Will get more info about the cities then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending