The Student Room Group

Annoying customers Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Wow I've been looking for this thread my entire life. Or like, since I got my job anyway.

One of the rudest people that sticks out is a woman who came up to the counter and brashly demanded, "How sweet is the apple juice?" which how am I supposed to know the exact sweetness of any single bottle of apple juice? So I just said, "I think it's just your standard apple juice so it shouldn't be overly sweet". She was just fiddling about in the fridge and then she says, "I had one that was a light colour earlier, do you have any more that colour?" If you had one earlier, why are you ******* asking me how sweet it is, you should know! So I just told her again, "They're all from the same batch so they should all taste exactly the same." Then she goes, "It's not the taste I care about, it's the sweetness". Sweetness is part of taste, you awkward old pork. In the end she banged it on the counter and was just like, "FINE, I'll TRY it". I remember her husband was lovely though, poor guy.
Theres a couple of customers that stick out in my mind from recently.

One was a customer who came round drive thru before christmas and ordered the festive chicken burger (as a meal). He then came back round not long later and came straight round to the window (rather than stopping at the speaker box). He then proceeded to have a right go at the 2 staff who where at the first window saying the festive chicken burger had bacon in it and he doesnt eat bacon because of his religion and how they are racist!!! Ermmm...no we arent racist. For starters, we didnt know you didnt eat bacon- how are we meant to know if you dont say. And secondly, you didnt bother to ask what was in the burger. If you had asked what was in it we would have told you. He said he would never come again. But he still comes round.
Original post by Emma:-)
Theres a couple of customers that stick out in my mind from recently.

One was a customer who came round drive thru before christmas and ordered the festive chicken burger (as a meal). He then came back round not long later and came straight round to the window (rather than stopping at the speaker box). He then proceeded to have a right go at the 2 staff who where at the first window saying the festive chicken burger had bacon in it and he doesnt eat bacon because of his religion and how they are racist!!! Ermmm...no we arent racist. For starters, we didnt know you didnt eat bacon- how are we meant to know if you dont say. And secondly, you didnt bother to ask what was in the burger. If you had asked what was in it we would have told you. He said he would never come again. But he still comes round.

Oh gosh that's annoying. It's not exactly the staff members fault that he didn't say that he doesn't eat bacon due to religious reasons.

I haven't had any proper annoying customers lately but just thought of one I had today. He wanted to bring back something that was brought from another store (same company obviously :tongue:) and he wasn't told what our returns policy was from that store and I explained what it was and that he should've been informed as it was the same product but different sizes. I then called/radioed a member of management over and just started to explain the situation and then the customer then basically cut me off saying 'oh I'll explain' -.- I just was standing there thinking how rude, I was only gonna say what you pretty much said anyway -.- -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had a woman the other day who was ridiculously rude.

We were waiting on her filet, so I asked her to park up and she just went urghhj and then drove away.
A few minutes later she's back round at me window, 'sweet and sour and ketchup'
So I handed her like 3 Sachets of ketchup and 2 pots of sweet and sour, and as she's handing me a sweet and sour back, she says 'I've got 2 fries, oh bbq as well.'
So as I go to get bbq she's still saying 'I've got 2 fries, I've got 2 fries' as I'm trying to ask her if ones enough
So she says yes and I give her the 1 bbq, expecting that to be everything, and she's still saying 'Ive got 2 fries, I've got 2 fries' and I'm just stood there with a really confused look.
Eventually she says 'Ive got 2 fries I deserve more ketchup.'

Posted from TSR Mobile
I could spend days on this thread with some of the experiences I've had, I work in two separate shops in the same shopping center so it's not unusual for me to see the same d***heads more than once a week.
Anyway, for this I'll name them Shop 1 and Shop 2. Shop 1 does allow for staff members to discount items or transactions if customers have relevant memberships (YHA, NFU etc) whereas Shop 2 very strictly does not.
I had a customer come in whilst I was working at Shop 1, typical a**hole type with the 'you are nothing more than a peasant in my eyes' attitude towards myself and my colleague as all the help is serving them I gave was 5* anyway. They then spotted the discounts notice and demanded their 15% NFU discount to which my only response could have been it is unavailable without producing a valid NFU members card, to which his eyes shot me daggers as he reached into his pocket and produced one from his rather fat wallet. The card was out of date but to avoid further sh*t from him I just ran it through the till anyway.
A couple of days later the same man came in with his lardy wife whilst I was working in Shop 2, his wife tried on a few fitness tops and they weren't large enough for her, so he simply handed a colleague the top and ordered her to find a larger size for his wife to try. Some people may be aware a ladies size 22 is the largest available in most high street stores I should add, to which my colleague told the man. His reaction was to scold my colleague because she was not able to provide a larger size, I then stood in as a protector for her trying to explain they don't make a larger size so on this occasion we can't help out. Anyway he later came to the till with a few other items for himself and demanded his 15% NFU discount which is unavailable in this store, needless to say he refound his scolding technique this time aimed at myself for not being able to discount the price for him. He resorted to just upturning his shopping bag emptying his items infront of the till and left the store pulling trousers from the rails.
I still have to say I reckon this is one of my biggest achievements in life to not have jumped over the counter and lose my head at him. Complete and utter w*nker.
Original post by RussMack
I could spend days on this thread with some of the experiences I've had, I work in two separate shops in the same shopping center so it's not unusual for me to see the same d***heads more than once a week.
Anyway, for this I'll name them Shop 1 and Shop 2. Shop 1 does allow for staff members to discount items or transactions if customers have relevant memberships (YHA, NFU etc) whereas Shop 2 very strictly does not.
I had a customer come in whilst I was working at Shop 1, typical a**hole type with the 'you are nothing more than a peasant in my eyes' attitude towards myself and my colleague as all the help is serving them I gave was 5* anyway. They then spotted the discounts notice and demanded their 15% NFU discount to which my only response could have been it is unavailable without producing a valid NFU members card, to which his eyes shot me daggers as he reached into his pocket and produced one from his rather fat wallet. The card was out of date but to avoid further sh*t from him I just ran it through the till anyway.
A couple of days later the same man came in with his lardy wife whilst I was working in Shop 2, his wife tried on a few fitness tops and they weren't large enough for her, so he simply handed a colleague the top and ordered her to find a larger size for his wife to try. Some people may be aware a ladies size 22 is the largest available in most high street stores I should add, to which my colleague told the man. His reaction was to scold my colleague because she was not able to provide a larger size, I then stood in as a protector for her trying to explain they don't make a larger size so on this occasion we can't help out. Anyway he later came to the till with a few other items for himself and demanded his 15% NFU discount which is unavailable in this store, needless to say he refound his scolding technique this time aimed at myself for not being able to discount the price for him. He resorted to just upturning his shopping bag emptying his items infront of the till and left the store pulling trousers from the rails.
I still have to say I reckon this is one of my biggest achievements in life to not have jumped over the counter and lose my head at him. Complete and utter w*nker.

Oh wow :eek: what an idiot (the customer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just remembered, had a customer on Thursday or Friday who wasn't annoying but rather he was a bit of an idiot -.-

Was on the tills and this customer comes up to the counter with a suitcase that he wanted to purchase. Now bearing in mind we have to put security tags on the suitcase and I do not know barcodes or all the product names off by heart to search for items, I needed the suitcase to scan through and take off the security tag. He just stood there looking for his money then looking at me with a blank expression on his face. I was then like oh I need the suitcase to scan through and take the security tag off. He was then like oh right thought you've already put it through. I was just like are you for real -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
I whitnessed an annoying customer in tesco express a while back. Basically, a bloke had used the self service checkout. It had given him his change, but he then went to complain to the guy on tills about how he "wasnt happy with the way the machine had given him his change". Basically he didnt like the exact coins the machine had gave him and wanted different ones.

What, lol? Who does that.....

Anyway, there is one annoying customer who does the same **** every week. Every Friday this guy comes in when the Store is about to close, (5 minutes left) He looks at every item in the Hair dye aisle, and always narrows it down to 2 slightly different hair colours of the same brand. He then asks whether Ammonia is a key ingredient in the dye, (even though the box clearly says ammonia free) he then spends a further 2 minutes or so deciding which hair dye to buy, (he always buys the slightly darker one, every time) After that, he picks up a few random items, slams it down on the counter and demands me to hurry up with the sale. (at this point it's 5 past 7) After he's done, he starts a casual chat with me about education, (this guy is a numpty btw) and he compares me to his son (how does this guy even have children?) and how his son is better than me (wtf, seriously..) and tells me I should keep away from smoking (this dick has a box of fags in his pocket) I even told him once I have never smoked in my life (true story) and he argued I did, because he 'saw me the other day' After his talk, he leaves. it's 10 past 7.

Anyway I have to go through this crap every Friday because my boss told me I must not retaliate with the guy (as he buys a lot of stuff = cash) The one time I did retaliate with this douche, he ended up complaining to my boss. My boss knew the guy was a dick, so my boss apologised to me but still instructed me to take the hit from this guy.

So yeah more or less (actually not less) this guy gives me the same **** every week. Apparently he's not insane, but I beg to differ.
I don't know what it is and maybe it's just me..but when customers say 'well done' when I pack their bags I'm just like :colonhash:

Also story time...

-A lady came in and asked me where something was
-I told her exactly where it was
-She then proceeded to tell me it definitely wouldn't be on the shop floor and would be behind the till because it is age restricted...
-I was like..No, seriously, they are LITERALLY over in that isle over there I've walked past them many times.
-She was like..."oh, no, no I doubt it, it's age restricted, never mind I'll get it elsewhere".
I packed this woman's bags so quick I just wanted her to get the hell out.

There was no language issue or anything...she was basically talking to me in that 'matter of fact' kind of way. I gave up.
Original post by MaseratiJay
I don't know what it is and maybe it's just me..but when customers say 'well done' when I pack their bags I'm just like :colonhash:

Also story time...

-A lady came in and asked me where something was
-I told her exactly where it was
-She then proceeded to tell me it definitely wouldn't be on the shop floor and would be behind the till because it is age restricted...
-I was like..No, seriously, they are LITERALLY over in that isle over there I've walked past them many times.
-She was like..."oh, no, no I doubt it, it's age restricted, never mind I'll get it elsewhere".
I packed this woman's bags so quick I just wanted her to get the hell out.

There was no language issue or anything...she was basically talking to me in that 'matter of fact' kind of way. I gave up.

Bloody hate when people talk to us in that 'matter of fact' manor, genuinely feel like saying as a matter of fact I am the one that has worked here 18 months so does actually know where my products are, what their features are and what they do so shut the hell up until you can understand that, accept it and move the hell on. Oh and take your ridiculous high horse with you.

Rant over.
Bloody hate when people talk to us in that 'matter of fact' manor, genuinely feel like saying as a matter of fact I am the one that has worked here 18 months so does actually know where my products are, what their features are and what they do so shut the hell up until you can understand that, accept it and move the hell on. Oh and take your ridiculous high horse with you.

Rant over.

I totally agree.
Its like when people come and order- and people will ask for a burger without x item in it. I will then explain that x burger doesnt have x item in it anyway, and they will insist that it does. For example- "can i have a big mac with no mayo?" I will have to explain that they dont have mayo in. They will insist that they are right though.
Im not being funny, but i work there- i think i know what is in the burgers that we sell.

Rant over.

I know!

Or they ask you to do something but you haven't got the authority so you let them know you need a Manager...

Then they complain to the Manager that you weren't helping them etc...

Only for the Manager to then explain that I can't do it to begin with [which is exactly what I tried to tell them in the first place]
I totally agree.
Its like when people come and order- and people will ask for a burger without x item in it. I will then explain that x burger doesnt have x item in it anyway, and they will insist that it does. For example- "can i have a big mac with no mayo?" I will have to explain that they dont have mayo in. They will insist that they are right though.
Im not being funny, but i work there- i think i know what is in the burgers that we sell.

I hate the customers that explain what plain is to me.

'Can I have a plain cheeseburger - so no sauce or pickles or anything just the cheese and the burger'

Sorry mate but you could've stopped after saying plain cheeseburger, funnily enough ive worked here 3 and a half years and you're not the first person whose asked me for one!

Had a run of about 5 customers the other day all explaining what plain meant ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife

'Can I have a plain cheeseburger - so no sauce or pickles or anything just the cheese and the burger'

Sorry mate but you could've stopped after saying plain cheeseburger, funnily enough ive worked here 3 and a half years and you're not the first person whose asked me for one!

Had a run of about 5 customers the other day all explaining what plain meant ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always make sure I'm clear I want just the burger, cheese and bun because id rather be a bit annoying and make it clear rather than get home/wherever and realise it's not plain and I can't eat it. ☺️

I'm a really picky eater and I imagine I annoy people, but I am really polite and never complain and I do go online and contact like the restaurants customer service and give good feedback if people do things right without any fuss. 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've asked for a plain burger and been given one with stuff in before, so now I specify what I mean :dontknow:

I'd rather annoy the server by explaining it at the beginning than have to take it back up and ask for a new one.
Original post by rayquaza17
I always make sure I'm clear I want just the burger, cheese and bun because id rather be a bit annoying and make it clear rather than get home/wherever and realise it's not plain and I can't eat it. ☺️

I'm a really picky eater and I imagine I annoy people, but I am really polite and never complain and I do go online and contact like the restaurants customer service and give good feedback if people do things right without any fuss. 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fine, as long as you're not saying

Plain
No sauce or onion or anything
Just the cheese and the burger
Completely plain

😂

I have no problem with people asking for it, I'm the same and don't really like everything on it so will get something only cheese, but it just annoys me when they specify it several different ways because that's what's gonna get me confused, especially if you ask for a cheeseburger, plain only ketchup for example. Because that's two different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Half the time when I order a plain, I get asked by the server 'Just cheese and burger?', so I have to then clarify :dontknow:
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Half the time when I order a plain, I get asked by the server 'Just cheese and burger?', so I have to then clarify :dontknow:

Id imagine that would be the server double checking what you want, so that they can make sure that they get the grill right. We would rather double check it with you in the first place and get the grill right, than get it wrong and have a customer complaining.
Plus it doesnt help that some customers can be very vague or indecisive when ordering grills. Or say one thing and mean another. So thats why we check.
Id imagine that would be the server double checking what you want, so that they can make sure that they get the grill right. We would rather double check it with you in the first place and get the grill right, than get it wrong and have a customer complaining.
Plus it doesnt help that some customers can be very vague or indecisive when ordering grills. Or say one thing and mean another. So thats why we check.

Yeah, I guessed they're just checking. Just thought it was funny because first we're told not to specify details when ordering a plain, yet when we do just say 'a plain cheeseburger please' we get asked further questions.

No biggie either way :-)
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Yeah, I guessed they're just checking. Just thought it was funny because first we're told not to specify details when ordering a plain, yet when we do just say 'a plain cheeseburger please' we get asked further questions.

No biggie either way :-)

Most people are fine, when ordering grills, specifically plain. People specifying that they just want the cheese when ordering plain are fine. Its just the odd few customers who are like "plain....just the cheese.....no sauce.....no onion....no pickle.....just plain" etc. Those are the annoying ones. Saying plain. Or plain, just the cheese- is fine, we know what you mean. Theres no need for those few customers to go into so much detail and get really patronising with us for no reason.
I guess its the odd few who ruin it for everyone else i guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending