The Student Room Group

Hairdresser Saturday Job

Hey there,

I recently saw an advertisement for a hairdresser near us - contacted about age requirements, and they offered the job. I'm 15, turning 16 in January. The lady has asked me to pop in for a chat this week, and I'm just wondering if there's anything I should know in advance to be able to gauge the job better (usual hours and rate, questions they might asked etc).

I volunteer regularly, so person-to-person/social skills is definitely a strength I've picked up - other than that, I don't have any experience (although realistically, I don't think she'll expect all that much for washing hair).

Any insight would be appreciated!
Your employer will want to be sure that:

a) you're presentable. They don't want someone who will make the salon look bad.
b) you're reliable. Will you turn up for work each week, on time? They don't want to be let down.
c) you carry out the duties of the job (sweep up, make tea & coffee or whatever) but would also be able to use initiative to find something else to do like sort out towels or check if the stylists need anything if you've finished your tasks.
d) you will fit in with anyone else working there, that you don't have any annoying habits and can take instruction well as they teach you the ways things are done there.

Hair washing is about gently guiding customers' heads into the right position, checking the comfort of the customer (they are paying to feel pampered otherwise they'd do it at home) and above all not letting the water get too hot or letting products get into their eyes so regular checking with them how things are is a priority. Your people skills will be really useful here.

Good Luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending