The Student Room Group

Annoying customers Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Customers who ask loaded questions:
C: "Hi have you heard of a product called....."
Me: "I'm not sure I've seen that on the shelves is it new?
C: "YOU DO! YOU SELL IT HERE!"
Why ask if you know we sell it

C:"Hi do you have any ...."
Me:"Hmmm, possibly I will check"
C:"You should do, I've got them out of here before"
Me: "where is the product usually located then?"
C: "Can't remember"

Absolute mongoloids

C: Hi, where is the crisps?
Brilliant! If you can't find the crisp isle in a supermarket then perhaps it's time for a one way ticket to Switzerland
Oh boy, after working in retail from the ages of 15 to 21, and in multiple shops, I have many a story to tell.

Oxfam: You'd get the typical asking for discounts! No, it's a charity shop, we're not going to discount stuff. And people stealing! We weren't allowed to stop them if it was just one person on the shop floor, in case they got violent. I saw one guy shoving video tapes down his jeans.

Tesco: Again, like a lot of people, getting those idiots who think they can get away buying alcohol, looking young and not needing ID. So many times they would complain, and moan about it. But it's the law! I'm not getting in trouble because you couldn't remember your id.

Waterstones: I did a Christmas temp job at Waterstones, and so many people were rude and grumpy. The stand out guy comes up to the till, where there is a long line of people and starts asking me to find a book on the system. That's no problem, but all the information he gives me is 'golf, its a little book, tiny book on golf, I can't remember anything else'. Obviously I need more information than this to find the book on the system, which I tell him politely so he starts yelling at me, saying I'm stupid and can't do my job. The manager comes over, takes the customer over to another till to sort it out. Felt a bit worried about it until said manager came over and said not to worry about it, that was customer was a ****.

And finally, the mother of all jobs, Build-a-Bear Workshop!

Most of the time it was great, kids were happy and parents were happy because their kids were. But the minute school holidays were out, things descended into hell. Especially at Christmas time. People would complain at how expensive it was, do the 'if you don't work at school you'll end up here' (I'm currently studying engineering at uni so shut up), and parents thinking we're a nursery and leaving their kids in the shop while they go look next door!

One time we had a girl throw a tantrum because she couldn't get what she wanted so she spat over a load of stock. Had to get rid of it all, it was disgusting. Also, don't give your kid and icecream or burger and then come into the shop! Scraping up trodden in burger is not pleasant.

Oh well, at least I'm out of retail now! Hopefully for good!
We have one regular customer, who isnt really annoying, he is just a bit strange.
Just to give you a bit of info about him- He has come in pretty much every day for years. He basically comes anytime between 10:30am and 12pm for his dinner, and always orders the same meal. Its got to the point where he just comes up to the till and is like "my usual please" and sadly, we all know what he orders.
These are several things that have happened with him-
1) He likes to read all of the newspapers that we have delivered, which is fine, but sometimes he takes it too far. He goes round looking for them all (even in the toilets) so he can read them, and there was once when another customer was reading one of the newspapers. So he went up to the other customer and asked them for the newspaper. The other customer said they where reading it, and that he could have it when they where finished. So he went and called the other customer a c**t, before going and moaning to the 1st assistant manager about how the other customer wouldnt let him have the newspaper. The manager was like "what do you expect me to do?" as we cant exactly take the paper off the other customer just so he can read it. The other customer had told him he could have it when he was finished.
2) He has a bit of a thing about the radio. Quite a few times he has asked for the radio to be turned down. This would be fine if the radio was on loud or something, but its not. Half the time its on that quiet, you cant really hear it anyway. No other customers have complained about it, so it cant be that bad, its just him. Anyway, last week proved that he is completely nuts. I was on dining area and he came up to me and asked me to get x manager to turn the music down (he knows most of us staff by name). So i went to speak to this manager and she was like "you can barely hear it, im not turning it down, if i turn it down it will be off". So she didnt turn it down or anything. Then a few minutes later he was like "can you tell x manager i said thanks for turning the radio down etc". She hadnt even turned it down!!I went to tell her and she drew the conclusion that he was completely nuts.
3) He likes to sit in the same seat, which is fine, but if other customers are sat there eating, he doesnt like it. He will sit in a seat nearby, with a face like a slapped arse, and will go and move into that seat as soon as they have gone.
4) He also has a thing about kids, and is in his element when there are kids around. The sits there eating his meal watching any kids that happen to be in the restaurant. I swear he a bit of a paedo or something.
5) After coming in for his meal once, he walked across the carpark, and another customer even asked the woman on dining area if he was ronald mcdonald. They where being genuine on that one. I had to lol at that one. The woman on dining area was just like "he might as well be, he is in here every day".

Im sure i think of other strange things he does as well.
Original post by Emma:-)
We have one regular customer, who isnt really annoying, he is just a bit strange.
Just to give you a bit of info about him- He has come in pretty much every day for years. He basically comes anytime between 10:30am and 12pm for his dinner, and always orders the same meal. Its got to the point where he just comes up to the till and is like "my usual please" and sadly, we all know what he orders.
These are several things that have happened with him-
1) He likes to read all of the newspapers that we have delivered, which is fine, but sometimes he takes it too far. He goes round looking for them all (even in the toilets) so he can read them, and there was once when another customer was reading one of the newspapers. So he went up to the other customer and asked them for the newspaper. The other customer said they where reading it, and that he could have it when they where finished. So he went and called the other customer a c**t, before going and moaning to the 1st assistant manager about how the other customer wouldnt let him have the newspaper. The manager was like "what do you expect me to do?" as we cant exactly take the paper off the other customer just so he can read it. The other customer had told him he could have it when he was finished.
2) He has a bit of a thing about the radio. Quite a few times he has asked for the radio to be turned down. This would be fine if the radio was on loud or something, but its not. Half the time its on that quiet, you cant really hear it anyway. No other customers have complained about it, so it cant be that bad, its just him. Anyway, last week proved that he is completely nuts. I was on dining area and he came up to me and asked me to get x manager to turn the music down (he knows most of us staff by name). So i went to speak to this manager and she was like "you can barely hear it, im not turning it down, if i turn it down it will be off". So she didnt turn it down or anything. Then a few minutes later he was like "can you tell x manager i said thanks for turning the radio down etc". She hadnt even turned it down!!I went to tell her and she drew the conclusion that he was completely nuts.
3) He likes to sit in the same seat, which is fine, but if other customers are sat there eating, he doesnt like it. He will sit in a seat nearby, with a face like a slapped arse, and will go and move into that seat as soon as they have gone.
4) He also has a thing about kids, and is in his element when there are kids around. The sits there eating his meal watching any kids that happen to be in the restaurant. I swear he a bit of a paedo or something.
5) After coming in for his meal once, he walked across the carpark, and another customer even asked the woman on dining area if he was ronald mcdonald. They where being genuine on that one. I had to lol at that one. The woman on dining area was just like "he might as well be, he is in here every day".

Im sure i think of other strange things he does as well.

Lol oh wow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chuffy
Customers who ask loaded questions:
C: "Hi have you heard of a product called....."
Me: "I'm not sure I've seen that on the shelves is it new?
C: "YOU DO! YOU SELL IT HERE!"
Why ask if you know we sell it

C:"Hi do you have any ...."
Me:"Hmmm, possibly I will check"
C:"You should do, I've got them out of here before"
Me: "where is the product usually located then?"
C: "Can't remember"

Absolute mongoloids

C: Hi, where is the crisps?
Brilliant! If you can't find the crisp isle in a supermarket then perhaps it's time for a one way ticket to Switzerland

Guilty :mmm:

I am one of those annoying customers :rofl:
Reply 585
Original post by mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Guilty :mmm:

I am one of those annoying customers :rofl:

why oh why lol
I could go on about this subject forever!
A few of my high/lowlights -
1. A customer peeing on the shop floor. At first I just thought it was rain drops, until I found a giant yellow puddle at the back of the shop.
2. I work in a pound shop and it's company policy not to do refunds (unless it's a faulty item), so a guy buys some bandages, 30mins later somes back to return them because his mrs has already bought some and I explain we don't do returns, but he can exchange it for anything else. He's goes mental, shouting about "it's only a pound!!!". If it's "only a pound" why are you going so crazy? he then swapped it for some wagonwheels, and threw the bandages at me!
3. Our card machines were down once so we put signs near the tills, and in the windows to let people know it was cash only. One woman came to the till and I reminded her "It's only cash at the moment, love, is that alright?". Apparently it was not. She was effing and jeffing, then said "YOU SHOULD HAVE SIGNS UP!!!" so I pointed to the signs and she said they weren't big enough. They were A4, how big does she think out printer is?.
Don't you just love working customer service.
Original post by Rinsendry
1. A customer peeing on the shop floor. At first I just thought it was rain drops, until I found a giant yellow puddle at the back of the shop.
2. I work in a pound shop and it's company policy not to do refunds (unless it's a faulty item), so a guy buys some bandages, 30mins later somes back to return them because his mrs has already bought some and I explain we don't do returns, but he can exchange it for anything else. He's goes mental, shouting about "it's only a pound!!!". If it's "only a pound" why are you going so crazy? he then swapped it for some wagonwheels, and threw the bandages at me!
3. Our card machines were down once so we put signs near the tills, and in the windows to let people know it was cash only. One woman came to the till and I reminded her "It's only cash at the moment, love, is that alright?". Apparently it was not. She was effing and jeffing, then said "YOU SHOULD HAVE SIGNS UP!!!" so I pointed to the signs and she said they weren't big enough. They were A4, how big does she think out printer is?.

What seriously a customer pee'd all over the floor? :eek: gross

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
What seriously a customer pee'd all over the floor? :eek: gross

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah, I could smell something but didn't take any notice. After she'd left the shop I noticed the droplets & I followed them to the back of the shop, and there was the yellow puddle. It was a small charity shop and I was the only one of the shop floor so I had to shout up to the stock room for one of the others to get a mop and clean it up. And I had to warn other customers not to go to the back of the shop!
Oh yeah, I could smell something but didn't take any notice. After she'd left the shop I noticed the droplets & I followed them to the back of the shop, and there was the yellow puddle. It was a small charity shop and I was the only one of the shop floor so I had to shout up to the stock room for one of the others to get a mop and clean it up. And I had to warn other customers not to go to the back of the shop!

How disgusting. Fancy doing that

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Hi, sorry to interupt. Is everything fine with your food?" "Yes, thank you".

10 minutes later customer goes to bar and demands a refund for the steak being too chewwy. Happened twice in ten minutes. :grumble:
Original post by SirMasterKey
"Hi, sorry to interupt. Is everything fine with your food?" "Yes, thank you".

10 minutes later customer goes to bar and demands a refund for the steak being too chewwy. Happened twice in ten minutes. :grumble:

How annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Hi there, I'd like to return this kettle I've had for 11 months because there's this weird white stuff on the inside now."
"Sir, that's limescale. It's what you get in kettles in a hard water areas such as ours if you don't de-scale it regularly."
"I shouldn't have to worry about descaling a kettle. They should have made it so it doesn't get limescale."
"I believe they do make kettles which are resistant to it, but not for the £5 you paid for this one."
[10 minutes later after manager intervention]
"Okay, so here's your £5 refund."
Original post by Danno190
"Hi there, I'd like to return this kettle I've had for 11 months because there's this weird white stuff on the inside now."
"Sir, that's limescale. It's what you get in kettles in a hard water areas such as ours if you don't de-scale it regularly."
"I shouldn't have to worry about descaling a kettle. They should have made it so it doesn't get limescale."
"I believe they do make kettles which are resistant to it, but not for the £5 you paid for this one."
[10 minutes later after manager intervention]
"Okay, so here's your £5 refund."

I think what's even worse than customers like that is the managers who pander to them - totally undermining staff and giving refunds needlessly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I think what's even worse than customers like that is the managers who pander to them - totally undermining staff and giving refunds needlessly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We're told if we stick to policy, we'll be backed up 110% by management. Fair enough we also have a "no quibble" policy so in this instance I guess it could be argued either-or. But when a customer comes in waaaay after the guarantee period with an item we no longer stock (and no way of finding out if we ever did stock it), no receipt, and managers say to refund it anyway because they can't be arsed to actually come over and tell the customers no themselves... Makes me look like an idiot, and the customer ends up looking like a smug S.O.B.

That reminds me of where my sister used to work up until recently.
Her old job was at a travel agents, and just before she left, there was a picture on a local "spotted" page of facebook of a woman squatting at the side of the shop having a wee up the wall. This picture looked like it was taken in the evening, so after the shop was closed. To be fair, the woman looked like a bit of a scrubber.
I used to work in a cinema and you would not believe the type of people you get there...

On several occasions we had dopey teenager boys who would order something, you'd give it to them, and then they'd come back sniggering saying it wasn't what they ordered when it clearly was. They clearly just wanted more free stuff. However if you tell them no they tend to just go away.

Surprisingly it was always teenage girls who tried to sneak in without paying for a ticket. Note to these types of people: it's never going to work. They always just run past the person on barrier (where you check people's tickets before they go to their screen), like, hello, I can see you!!

The worst one was when I was working at the food stands, and a older woman on her own wanted a hot dog. I had to tell her the hot dogs weren't fully cooked yet, and they would be another ten minutes, very apologetic. She then insisted she just had the hot dog, so I had to clearly state that if she ate one of the hot dogs at that moment in time she would be eating raw meat and would get very sick. She still insisted she got the hot dog so I had to refuse her one; I was still being very polite, but it was busy and I wanted her to leave basically. She then proceeded to absolutely scream in my face about how she was going to miss the start of her film now because the hot dogs weren't ready (even though she'd just miss the adverts), she was absolutely shaking with rage. Literally shaking. She then got personal and starting yelling that I was a stupid little girl and that she was going to do everything in my power to get me fired. I just said sorry again and called the next customer up. She proceeded to stand off to the side and stare at me. She literally stared at me without looking away for about five minuted before she stormed off. It was terrifying at one point I actually thought she was going to hit me. Anyways the queue died down after a while so I told a manager what had happened and they told me she sounded like an idiot and I obviously wasn't going to get fired. I have to admit I went to the stock room and had a wee cry because I was so angry someone could be that rude. I think she had some kind of anger management problems of something. I don't work at the cinema anymore but when I did I made it clear to everyone that if she came in again I was point blank refusing to serve her.
Original post by klaineydays
I used to work in a cinema and you would not believe the type of people you get there...

On several occasions we had dopey teenager boys who would order something, you'd give it to them, and then they'd come back sniggering saying it wasn't what they ordered when it clearly was. They clearly just wanted more free stuff. However if you tell them no they tend to just go away.

Surprisingly it was always teenage girls who tried to sneak in without paying for a ticket. Note to these types of people: it's never going to work. They always just run past the person on barrier (where you check people's tickets before they go to their screen), like, hello, I can see you!!

The worst one was when I was working at the food stands, and a older woman on her own wanted a hot dog. I had to tell her the hot dogs weren't fully cooked yet, and they would be another ten minutes, very apologetic. She then insisted she just had the hot dog, so I had to clearly state that if she ate one of the hot dogs at that moment in time she would be eating raw meat and would get very sick. She still insisted she got the hot dog so I had to refuse her one; I was still being very polite, but it was busy and I wanted her to leave basically. She then proceeded to absolutely scream in my face about how she was going to miss the start of her film now because the hot dogs weren't ready (even though she'd just miss the adverts), she was absolutely shaking with rage. Literally shaking. She then got personal and starting yelling that I was a stupid little girl and that she was going to do everything in my power to get me fired. I just said sorry again and called the next customer up. She proceeded to stand off to the side and stare at me. She literally stared at me without looking away for about five minuted before she stormed off. It was terrifying at one point I actually thought she was going to hit me. Anyways the queue died down after a while so I told a manager what had happened and they told me she sounded like an idiot and I obviously wasn't going to get fired. I have to admit I went to the stock room and had a wee cry because I was so angry someone could be that rude. I think she had some kind of anger management problems of something. I don't work at the cinema anymore but when I did I made it clear to everyone that if she came in again I was point blank refusing to serve her.

Oh wow.

She sounds like a right idiot in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by klaineydays

Damn! I'm going to start my new job at a cinema soon! Hope that doesn't happen to me!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Original post by thequackingduck
Damn! I'm going to start my new job at a cinema soon! Hope that doesn't happen to me!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Haahaa, don't worry! Working at a cinema is actually a fantastic job; I think I was just unlucky and got the crazy one!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending