The Student Room Group

Annoying customers Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emma:-)
You have to do that sometimes with drivers.
If he had have sat there chilling and waited for the shunters put the trailer on it would have taken longer and he would have been like "how long". They don't always like what's good for them.

Ahh fair enough, though I guess you’ll always get one who thinks everything will be done for them, etc
So served a customer today who paid cash, he had the old £20 note so had to use the money checker pen. He then turned round and made the unoriginal and unfunny ‘I just printed that today’ joke, to which I didn’t laugh or say anything I just ignored it. Gave him change and I gave him a £10 note. He then turned round and was like can you check that for me and was looking at the pen. I turned round and was like that won’t work on the £10 note. He was then like oh how do you know it’s real.. we don’t have a machine to indicate whether or not the plastic notes are real or not but we have guidelines as to how to check them and I explained this to him. He then walked off and said something, dunno what he said but I was like ok then -.- think he was annoyed at the fact that I didn’t laugh at his unoriginal joke and that’s probably why he was like that....
Original post by ohhello92x
So served a customer today who paid cash, he had the old £20 note so had to use the money checker pen. He then turned round and made the unoriginal and unfunny ‘I just printed that today’ joke, to which I didn’t laugh or say anything I just ignored it. Gave him change and I gave him a £10 note. He then turned round and was like can you check that for me and was looking at the pen. I turned round and was like that won’t work on the £10 note. He was then like oh how do you know it’s real.. we don’t have a machine to indicate whether or not the plastic notes are real or not but we have guidelines as to how to check them and I explained this to him. He then walked off and said something, dunno what he said but I was like ok then -.- think he was annoyed at the fact that I didn’t laugh at his unoriginal joke and that’s probably why he was like that....

I know what you mean. I never used to find it funny either. And it used to get boring after hearing it so many times.
When he said about printing the note that morning, you should have given it him back and been like "ill let you have that back then". Just to see what he said. That would have soon wiped the smile off his face.
I know what you mean. I never used to find it funny either. And it used to get boring after hearing it so many times.
When he said about printing the note that morning, you should have given it him back and been like "ill let you have that back then". Just to see what he said. That would have soon wiped the smile off his face.

Literally, so annoying isn’t it?
Hahah wish I did now :redface: but wasn’t in the mood to be witty yesterday lol :lol:
Sooo today’s 2 most annoying customers...

1st one, was serving on tills. Was packing the items as I was scanning, tills was busy and another colleague was on tills to. I then decided to fold and leave the remainder of the items on the till until I scanned everything in just to be quicker. Customer was like oh you NEED to put the item in the bag once scanned and before I could say or do anything she grabbed the item and shoved it in the bag, typical Karen.

2nd one, loved proving this customer wrong. She came up to the till, and was like you overcharged me yesterday, I wasn’t in so of course it was someone else who served her. She brought a couple of items that have separate 2 for offers, she gave me the receipt and saw the prices and explained that they were different offers, she then went no they’re under the same offer and got the tags out, they were 2 different offers which I pointed out to her. She then went oh, took the items then walked off :lol: just baffled me that she didn’t question it when she was at the till yesterday cuz she could’ve sorted it out then
Let's bring this thread back to life.
Anyone had any annoying customers lately?
Let's bring this thread back to life.
Anyone had any annoying customers lately?

Thankfully this week marks my last week in retail but there is one customer who is really grinding my gears.

Pre-first lockdown she would come in switch off our speaker (we play music as a product demo and it makes the atmosphere nicer) repeatedly. The last fortnight she comes in and uses the same self service machine- it works perfectly but there is liquid damage from cleaning it (a small black spot). Every time she has a go at me about 'how it's not good enough'...despite the fact there is a lockdown and we're still packed it's not essential to come out and fix as we have 2 working tills and 2 other working self services. She repeatedly says stuff like 'its fraudulent' (if it wasn't working properly it wouldnt be open)

Cue saturday- she scans something twice and doesnt realise till she has her receipt claiming the machine charged her twice. I politely explain it's charged you twice because you scanned it twice, however if you come over to the counter we can refund it. She then has a go at me saying it will take weeks to get the refund- I tell her it takes around 3-4 days, we can do the refund but we can't control how quickly the refund takes. She then goes off on me saying the self service is broken. Colleague processes the refund and she goes off before coming back 30 second later to say we didn't refund her. By this point the supervisor comes in and repeatedly explains everything I've told her and explains the receipt.

She comes in twice a week and I'm dreading seeing her this week.
Original post by lilGem
Thankfully this week marks my last week in retail but there is one customer who is really grinding my gears.

Pre-first lockdown she would come in switch off our speaker (we play music as a product demo and it makes the atmosphere nicer) repeatedly. The last fortnight she comes in and uses the same self service machine- it works perfectly but there is liquid damage from cleaning it (a small black spot). Every time she has a go at me about 'how it's not good enough'...despite the fact there is a lockdown and we're still packed it's not essential to come out and fix as we have 2 working tills and 2 other working self services. She repeatedly says stuff like 'its fraudulent' (if it wasn't working properly it wouldnt be open)

Cue saturday- she scans something twice and doesnt realise till she has her receipt claiming the machine charged her twice. I politely explain it's charged you twice because you scanned it twice, however if you come over to the counter we can refund it. She then has a go at me saying it will take weeks to get the refund- I tell her it takes around 3-4 days, we can do the refund but we can't control how quickly the refund takes. She then goes off on me saying the self service is broken. Colleague processes the refund and she goes off before coming back 30 second later to say we didn't refund her. By this point the supervisor comes in and repeatedly explains everything I've told her and explains the receipt.

She comes in twice a week and I'm dreading seeing her this week.

Can't the managers at your workplace get her banned?
She sounds like a right royal pain in the arse. If she comes in regularly and is regularly a nuisance then I think she should be.
In the canteen next to my office- as well as the coffee machines- we have food/drink machines (that do bottles/cans of pop, cobs, crisps etc).
The food/drink machines aren't actually anything to do with us. They are run by an outside company, who come and stock them up etc. It's only link to us is that they are in our canteen.
There have been several occasions where drivers have had problems with the machines (e.g. it has taken their £1 and not given them anything).
The problems start when the drivers come to the window between the canteen and our office and tell us their problem. We politely explain that the machines are not run by us, but explain that if they phone the number on the machine they can get their money back.
Most drivers are fine about this, and are helpful for being pointed in the right direction. But there are several who winge, *****, moan and cry at us because we can't sort it. They carry on and on, sometimes coming back several times. We explain politely that there isn't really anything we can do, as they are nothing to do with us. And getting hold of them on the phone number is the only way to sort it.
I don't know what some drivers expect us to do. Pull them a drink or their money out our arse or something.
People who can't read sign displays for offers/prices and proceed to march up to me and tell me 'it needs changing'. Like literally 'that'll need to be changed' or 'it's in the wrong place' or 'you need to change that' because they can't read the offer correctly. Firstly, lady, I am not the manager, and secondly, I did not build this salesfloor with my own two hands.
Original post by 1004v
People who can't read sign displays for offers/prices and proceed to march up to me and tell me 'it needs changing'. Like literally 'that'll need to be changed' or 'it's in the wrong place' or 'you need to change that' because they can't read the offer correctly. Firstly, lady, I am not the manager, and secondly, I did not build this salesfloor with my own two hands.

In cases like that, it's usually the customers inability to read.
They will think that X item has Y offer on or is Z price. But the offer/price they have looked at is for a completely different product, on a completely different shelf, further along the same aisle.
I had a driver on the phone yesterday who decided to tell me all about his nipples. Not information I really wanted to know.
Hi there!

I've not chatted on this forum for a while. My first story is not from me, but from a friend who works with me. We work in a clothing shop. He had a customer saying "Men, can't fold. Women do it much better" I'm honestly surprised he didn't comment as I've never had that comment before since I've started.

My second story is from me, back in November. I was serving an older lady with her granddaughter. We have to fold our clothes a certain way. She made a comment like "I'm guessing you are new and can't fold" (someone did say that to me, and I said I wasn't new which took her back but I'm not certain if it was her but she did make a comment that I couldn't fold) I told her that I have a disability which affects my Motor Skills and she was taken aback, she later apologized. Her granddaughter (who was in her teens) said "she does it to me as well". I'm glad she apologized, as not all customers do.

Another quick story for me, I was working at the doors one shift to count the customers leaving/entering and this woman with her grandson (a different woman from the story above) just stood at the door waiting. The grandson was on his phone (teen again) I said that she can come in but she ignored me, she said I'm waiting. A massive queue appeared in front of her and she ignored me. I had to get my supervisor over, to make her move and she was like "That boy said nothing to me!" I yelled out that I did as I wasn't going to let this woman walk over me. She looked at me in disgust whilst she walked by. Did she expect me to roll out a red carpet for her when she walked in and have photos taken of her? Nope.
(edited 3 years ago)
Bring this thread back to life.
Anyone had to deal with any particularly annoying/hard work customers?

Almost forgot about this thread :redface:

There was a customer who I didn’t serve the other day but helped a newbie out as this customer was being a rude towards me. Newbie explained to customer that her click and collect order would be on a gift card, and instead of the customer questioning her during the transaction, she then said something once the transaction was done. The customer then claimed that she ‘didn’t understand what was being said’ when my colleague said about the gift card and I then explained that it’s too late to reverse the transaction and the customer then turned round and went I don’t believe you. I then had to call my supervisor over as he was the only one out of management in that day and explained it to him. He then called up retail support and they basically said the same thing as me. Think he only did it to try and not p*** off the customer. She took the gift card. But if she had said she wanted a refund, we would’ve been able to do it but would have to send it back in our next store delivery.

Oh and had a couple of customers on separate occasions who picked up click and collect orders. It clearly states on the website that if you spend £100+ on the website and do click and collect, you get a voucher. First customer got angry and I had to double check with a manager as I wasn’t sure if it changed but he said the same as me, and another colleague checked on the website on her phone and it clearly stated if you spend £100+ and do click and collect, you get the voucher. Customer was like oh it’s a rip off and I was like it clearly states you need to spend a certain amount to get the voucher and she was like oh I’m a teacher and I looked at her like it’s not my fault you can’t read properly and idk why you felt the need to state your profession. The 2nd customer then said it didn’t say on the website when it did and gave her contact information for customer services so she could complain -.-
Original post by ohhello92x
Almost forgot about this thread :redface:

There was a customer who I didn’t serve the other day but helped a newbie out as this customer was being a rude towards me. Newbie explained to customer that her click and collect order would be on a gift card, and instead of the customer questioning her during the transaction, she then said something once the transaction was done. The customer then claimed that she ‘didn’t understand what was being said’ when my colleague said about the gift card and I then explained that it’s too late to reverse the transaction and the customer then turned round and went I don’t believe you. I then had to call my supervisor over as he was the only one out of management in that day and explained it to him. He then called up retail support and they basically said the same thing as me. Think he only did it to try and not p*** off the customer. She took the gift card. But if she had said she wanted a refund, we would’ve been able to do it but would have to send it back in our next store delivery.

Oh and had a couple of customers on separate occasions who picked up click and collect orders. It clearly states on the website that if you spend £100+ on the website and do click and collect, you get a voucher. First customer got angry and I had to double check with a manager as I wasn’t sure if it changed but he said the same as me, and another colleague checked on the website on her phone and it clearly stated if you spend £100+ and do click and collect, you get the voucher. Customer was like oh it’s a rip off and I was like it clearly states you need to spend a certain amount to get the voucher and she was like oh I’m a teacher and I looked at her like it’s not my fault you can’t read properly and idk why you felt the need to state your profession. The 2nd customer then said it didn’t say on the website when it did and gave her contact information for customer services so she could complain -.-

We had one driver the other day who decided to block up the whole yard. Basically he was on bay 38 being tipped (we have 40 bays). The bays up that top end are near security. The entrance gate is one one side of security and the exit gate is the other. When he was done, I gave him his keys and paperwork ready to go.
He went to go, but rather than turn left off the bay and go all the way round (it's a one way system), he decided to cut across to the right and try to go straight out at security that way. He had cut in front of whatever drivers were coming round to leave who were coming the right way.. The 2 security guys who were in security told him that he isn't meant to do that and that he would have to go all the way round. They weren't just gonna book him out and let him out doing tricks like that. They sent him all the way round. But the driver was having none of it, and threw his toys out the pram. He got out of his truck, walked off site, and went to Tesco (which is next door). So that area of the yard was completely blocked with his truck and trailer there. Shunters who were coming round the building couldn't get past (so they couldn't take trailers on/off bays). People waiting to leave site couldn't leave site as he was there.
In the end I heard that a couple of shunters had to go and drag him back. Upstairs phoned down to me to get some details (reg, trailer number etc) and I heard he was being banned off site. I also got the impression that our lot upstairs were gonna kick up a stink with his company.
We had one driver the other day who decided to block up the whole yard. Basically he was on bay 38 being tipped (we have 40 bays). The bays up that top end are near security. The entrance gate is one one side of security and the exit gate is the other. When he was done, I gave him his keys and paperwork ready to go.
He went to go, but rather than turn left off the bay and go all the way round (it's a one way system), he decided to cut across to the right and try to go straight out at security that way. He had cut in front of whatever drivers were coming round to leave who were coming the right way.. The 2 security guys who were in security told him that he isn't meant to do that and that he would have to go all the way round. They weren't just gonna book him out and let him out doing tricks like that. They sent him all the way round. But the driver was having none of it, and threw his toys out the pram. He got out of his truck, walked off site, and went to Tesco (which is next door). So that area of the yard was completely blocked with his truck and trailer there. Shunters who were coming round the building couldn't get past (so they couldn't take trailers on/off bays). People waiting to leave site couldn't leave site as he was there.
In the end I heard that a couple of shunters had to go and drag him back. Upstairs phoned down to me to get some details (reg, trailer number etc) and I heard he was being banned off site. I also got the impression that our lot upstairs were gonna kick up a stink with his company.

Oh wow. The guy sounds like an absolute moron. He definitely sounds like a male Karen, sounds like he really p***** off everyone on site. Hopefully what you heard is correct and he is banned. Wouldn’t surprise me if they do kick up a stink with his company
So had a customer today who I served who was rather annoying, and strange.

She came to the till, gave me her items and then put her card in the card reader… I’ve barely started her transaction when she did this and the card machine hates it when you put your card in early and beeps for you to take it out. Had to tell her multiple times to do this. I then asked if she wanted a bag, didn’t say if she wanted one or not, she then asked for a bag after the transaction went through :facepalm:. Oh and she asked where the lift was cos she had a trolley bag, showed her where it was and informed her she needed to press and hold the button to go down in the lift, she then said she didn’t want to do that and ended up using the stairs instead :facepalm:. I really need to get out of retail ASAP

We had a guy try to start a shouting match recently because his ice cream was too frozen. Threatened to leave a bad review on the internet because we didn’t melt the ice cream in the microwave before serving it.

I’m assuming at some point he sobered up and his girlfriend told him what an absolute prat he’d made of himself because the review never came about. 😂
Original post by IanDangerously
We had a guy try to start a shouting match recently because his ice cream was too frozen. Threatened to leave a bad review on the internet because we didn’t melt the ice cream in the microwave before serving it.

I’m assuming at some point he sobered up and his girlfriend told him what an absolute prat he’d made of himself because the review never came about. 😂

:lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending