The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes, frankly no one understands how they work. My personal theory is some form of voodoo.
It's gotta be a spoof.
Reply 22
I don't think so, I think it is a con to get investors to part with their money.

I don't think so, I think it is a con to get investors to part with their money.

The public might be conned by it, but not professional investors.

I take the Economist, and I've not seen anything about it.
Reply 24
Of course, no one with any sense will fall for it. But somehow I doubt they are targeting those with regard for common sense, or the laws of thermodynamics.
Of course, no one with any sense will fall for it. But somehow I doubt they are targeting those with regard for common sense, or the laws of thermodynamics.

No doubt. :smile:
Reply 26

# 50 points for claiming you have a revolutionary theory but giving no concrete testable predictions.
Reply 27
Pi is exactly three!
mipmapped
The public might be conned by it, but not professional investors.

Because investors have never fallen for crackpot schemes that haven't a hope in hell of working, have they? :rolleyes:
Because investors have never fallen for crackpot schemes that haven't a hope in hell of working, have they?

There's crackpot, as in .com bubble and there's crackpot as in inventions that defy the laws of physics.
mipmapped
There's crackpot, as in .com bubble and there's crackpot as in inventions that defy the laws of physics.

Have you looked at the 'alternative' health industry lately?
Have you looked at the 'alternative' health industry lately?

That's different. Investors go nuts for it because the public go nuts for it. There's a product there, whether it works or not is another matter. In this case, it's not possible for there to be a product. It's not even a gamble on a future product, because that product can't exist. I'd bet my house you know more than me about thermodynamics, and so far as I'm aware there's no way that the product could ever work.

It reminds me of Primordial M-Water, except in that case, you could actually buy it.
Reply 32
The product here is people investing. No one is claiming they are targetting sensible professional investors, they are targeting people easily convinced by buzzwords and bravado.
mipmapped
That's different. Investors go nuts for it because the public go nuts for it. There's a product there, whether it works or not is another matter. In this case, it's not possible for there to be a product. It's not even a gamble on a future product, because that product can't exist. I'd bet my house you know more than me about thermodynamics, and so far as I'm aware there's no way that the product could ever work.

It reminds me of Primordial M-Water, except in that case, you could actually buy it.

It's all snake-oil just the same. Bad science is bad science where-ever it is applied and there will be mugs who will part with their cash for the hope that it might work.
It's all snake-oil just the same. Bad science is bad science where-ever it is applied and there will be mugs who will part with their cash for the hope that it might work.

I'll not dispute that - I was talking about professional investors (fund managers, say) keeping clear. Seeing as the readership of the Economist (I'd imagine) is made up of primarily professional financial-types, It's probably not the best place to advertise.

Perhaps I'm just naive.
if you enjoy reading about these crackpot schemes i recommend the "feedback" section (on the penultimate page) in New Scientist every week, there are some truly hilarious ones that get sent in by readers :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 36
All i can say is, what idiots. (if its serious)
Reply 37
ghost101
All i can say is, what idiots. (if its serious)

what so if they've created a machine which is 400% efficent, they're idiots?

yeah that makes perfect sense.

I think they're probably over looking something, or have their computer set up wrong or something, or that whole marketing company thing is a clever idea but too silly, anyone can get alot of publicity when they annouce a product that will change the world, if they can put a full page ad in the observer then they're certain not to fair.

I've spent most of today reading up on this (I have a boring job) the guardian's article is very good.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1858134,00.html
These guys have discovered the secret of perpetual motion?! SOMEONE HAND THEM A NOBEL PRIZE!!!!!!!!
Reply 39
Hell... This is a bloody joke. Makes you kind of wish you believe in magic.

Someone tell them to get back to primary school.

"Our Technology and the Laws of Physics"... my god.

Latest

Trending

Trending