The Student Room Group

A Level Remarking 2022

i did A level physics (ocr) and maths (edexcel). i’m a few marks off for each for the grades i need for my firm. if i send for remarking what are my chances of getting more marks. i need 5 for physics and 2 for maths

Scroll to see replies

Just received A Level Physics (AQA) and sadly 1 mark off for the grade needed for my firm. Spoke to the university (UCL) and they won't consider it unless the grade goes up. So I sent it for priority remarking. How soon would I get it back and what are the chances of getting that one extra mark?
Original post by Anonymous0504
i did A level physics (ocr) and maths (edexcel). i’m a few marks off for each for the grades i need for my firm. if i send for remarking what are my chances of getting more marks. i need 5 for physics and 2 for maths

No one can tell you that.The school can ask for a review and then advise you best.
Original post by Sofia555
Just received A Level Physics (AQA) and sadly 1 mark off for the grade needed for my firm. Spoke to the university (UCL) and they won't consider it unless the grade goes up. So I sent it for priority remarking. How soon would I get it back and what are the chances of getting that one extra mark?

Again who knows but definitely worth a go.Son's marks went up in two subjects after remarks.UCL famously strict on grades.Review and priority remark could take up to three weeks.Are you happy with your insurance?
Original post by Scotney
Again who knows but definitely worth a go.Son's marks went up in two subjects after remarks.UCL famously strict on grades.Review and priority remark could take up to three weeks.Are you happy with your insurance?

Not happy with the insurance to be honest. Can't decide where to look for clearing, wait for remarking results or accept the insurance offer. UCL confirmed they would hold my place and wait till 2 September.
You can try and get your marks reviewed! It would need to be a priority review but if you call your firm and let them know you are doing this they will be legally required to hold your place until you get your results back.
does anyone know how long an edexcel remark takes?
Original post by Sofia555

it's perfectly possible but also not exceedingly likely unless you've identified a question that was obviously marked incorrectly
(edited 1 year ago)

@Muttley79 has pointed out on other threads that you can ask your school to download your marked Edexcel maths papers for free and you can check through them to see if a remark is likely to be successful.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7250373&p=97526916#post97526916

For Maths
Original post by niamhxxxxxx
does anyone know how long an edexcel remark takes?

They're normally really quick - often only 1-2 days at this time of year - although occasionally there are exceptions
Reply 11
how do i get a remark on my alevel because i was 5 marks of a B
Original post by u0zzy
how do i get a remark on my alevel because i was 5 marks of a B

You need to contact your exam centre and they will guide you through it - if you look at the information you were given with your results it ought to tell you how. It costs about £50 per paper but you get your money back if the grade changes. However, most reviews of marking don't change the marks at all and 5 marks is quite a lot of pick up. I would say it probably isn't worth it.
Hi for my Edexcel English Lit A level I was 6 marks ( 9UMS) off an A *. After receiving a breakdown of my marks I can see that my coursework mark has been downgraded 6 marks from 58/60 to 52/60. I did this A level as a private candidate so the exam test centre independently assessed my coursework and were very confident that my coursework warranted the 58 marks. Can you get English lit alevel coursework remarked. I am also thinking of getting my paper 2 remarked as I only got 18/40 whereas for paper 1 I got 43/60 and paper 3 48/60 and I feel I didn't do so bad for paper 2 that I would get less than half marks
Original post by littlenicky61
Hi for my Edexcel English Lit A level I was 6 marks ( 9UMS) off an A *. After receiving a breakdown of my marks I can see that my coursework mark has been downgraded 6 marks from 58/60 to 52/60. I did this A level as a private candidate so the exam test centre independently assessed my coursework and were very confident that my coursework warranted the 58 marks. Can you get English lit alevel coursework remarked. I am also thinking of getting my paper 2 remarked as I only got 18/40 whereas for paper 1 I got 43/60 and paper 3 48/60 and I feel I didn't do so bad for paper 2 that I would get less than half marks

I presume you're talking about IAL as there are no UMS marks in England but the advice is similar anyway.

You can't get centre marked, externally moderated work individually reviewed, the only option is for the centre has to pay for all the candidates' work to be re-moderated -you could ask them if they are intending to do this. (To be honest, it was very rash of them to be so confident about the standard of their marking, I don't think any teacher I know would ever say this).

As it's Edexcel, you can get a copy of your marked script back if you just give the exam centre permission to download it - Edexcel doesn't charge for this but the private centre might. That way you can have a look at the marking before deciding what to do.

Physics: Your chances of going up a grade are not so good. Maybe don’t get it remarked.

Maths: Your chances of going up a grade are reasonable. Remarking is possibly worth doing.

Btw, on a separate note, did you do OCR physics A or OCR physics B? OCR physics B this year was brutal imo.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 16
I was one mark off A* in Edexcel A-Level Maths and I requested copies of my marked script and had my college's Maths department review it. They found one mark in Paper 1 and three marks in Paper 3, but also one mark deducted in Paper 3. One of the teachers was an examiner this year as well. Is it worth requesting the review of marking for Paper 1 and 3? I already met my offer for my firm university choice so it's not a priority.

And also, where does it say that you get a full refund if your grade goes up? I can't find it anywhere on the exam boards' websites for some reason.
Original post by X1X_
I was one mark off A* in Edexcel A-Level Maths and I requested copies of my marked script and had my college's Maths department review it. They found one mark in Paper 1 and three marks in Paper 3, but also one mark deducted in Paper 3. One of the teachers was an examiner this year as well. Is it worth requesting the review of marking for Paper 1 and 3? I already met my offer for my firm university choice so it's not a priority.

And also, where does it say that you get a full refund if your grade goes up? I can't find it anywhere on the exam boards' websites for some reason.

I’d say remarking is worth a shot in your case.

Also, this website seems to agree that if your grade changes, you get a refund: https://www.cife.org.uk/article/getting-remark-a-or-gcse-exam/
Original post by X1X_

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/post-results-services/post-results-fees-august-2022.html

Under "Waiving of fees" :smile:
Reply 19
Thank you!! I shall go ahead with it then :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest