The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

How many hours a week did you study, honestly?

Hi all!

I am hoping to study for my Engineering degree from October but I am trying to get a more realistic idea of how many hours need to be studied.

I understand that the OU website suggests 8-9 hours of study per 30 units but I was wondering if that's a high estimate or an average? (My bf definitely doesn't study 36 hours/ week haha)

If it makes a difference, I have previous experience studying- I have just completed my level 3 studies while working full time.

I do understand as well that everyone is different. I was just curious about it.

Study as long as you need to retain and remember your work. If you were diligent the whole term you won't need a lot of time before exams.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
I personally only need a couple of hrs.
For me, I'm not very consistent, so it tends to vary depending on whether or not I have an assignment due soon-ish. (My modules - not specifically Engineering ones, although a couple of them can be - tend not to be ones with exams). I might do little or nothing for a couple of weeks when nothing is due; but when there is something I need to hand in I've been known to do 40 hours or so a week (for a 60-credit module).
Reply 4
It varies. Some weeks when I was already familiar with the topics we were learning or I had no tests coming up, I would just do an hour or so here and there every day. When it came to an exam or a subject that was new to me, I would sayI done about 25/30 hours a week.
Reply 5
It entirely depends on the module. Some are underestimated, some are overestimated. I find that the estimates tend to be most out of whack when it comes to the TMAs. I've had some TMAs where the work takes a few hours to complete and others where it's almost two weeks of daily work.

Quick Reply

Latest