The Student Room Group

Is it possible to do a HND course in 1 year?

I know it says it’s a 2 year course but I was wondering if there any places to fast track it and do it in a year? It says a levels are also a 2 year course but it is doable to do in one year
I doubt that you could find an exam centre willing to let you do this. And HND is equivalent to the first 2 years of a degree - that’s not available widely to complete within 12 months.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I doubt that you could find an exam centre willing to let you do this. And HND is equivalent to the first 2 years of a degree - that’s not available widely to complete within 12 months.

I actually did. Online business school says you can do a hnd there within 12 months.
Original post by kat-2728
I actually did. Online business school says you can do a hnd there within 12 months.

That sounds really dodgy.
Which awarding body is the qualification from?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
That sounds really dodgy.
Which awarding body is the qualification from?

Qualifi. Do u think it’s not legit?. Honestly the only reason I want to do this bc I want my degree asap and the degree I’m interested in doesn’t do January starts. So I would have to wait till next year and graduate in my late 20s. I didn’t think it was that odd that u can do it in 1 year bc there are other 2 year courses that I have fast tracked, I did an a level in only like 3-4 months.
(edited 6 months ago)
Qualifi. Do u think it’s not legit?. Honestly the only reason I want to do this bc I want my degree asap and the degree I’m interested in doesn’t do January starts. So I would have to wait till next year and graduate in my late 20s. I didn’t think it was that odd that u can do it in 1 year bc there are other 2 year courses that I have fast tracked, I did an a level in only like 3-4 months.

I wouldn’t touch any HND that isn’t awarded by SQA or Pearson/BTEC.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
I wouldn’t touch any HND that isn’t awarded by SQA or Pearson/BTEC.

sorry to message again, but how come?. I don’t want to do the course if it’s a scam, but they have a list of uni’s that u can to a top up with, and another student mentioned it’s fine and they were able to do a top up after the course
sorry to message again, but how come?. I don’t want to do the course if it’s a scam, but they have a list of uni’s that u can to a top up with, and another student mentioned it’s fine and they were able to do a top up after the course

I work in admissions at a university and we wouldn’t accept these qualifications for entry into anything but first year. They’re not HNDs they’re just diplomas at level 5 - so not the full 240 credits that an HND provides.

If you want an HND then look for one awarded by SQA or Pearson/BTEC. Alternatively look around for FdA/FdSc foundation degrees as they’re equivalent and offered by quite a range of universities and colleges.

Or if you’re in a real hurry then go with Open University.

Or even better wait until September and do an accelerated degree which covers 360 credits/3 years of study in 24 months. Buckingham has been offering these longest but there are a few other genuine universities that offer them too. Be very VERY wary of course providers that don’t award their own degrees - there’s some very dodgy private providers out there who are about to get audited by the university regulator.
(edited 6 months ago)
If it helps - a single A level is designed to have Guided Learning Hours of 360 - over 4 months that’s about 22 hours a week study.

An HND is designed to have 2,400 learning hours. Over 12 months that’s over 46 hours a week with no time off at all (with normal holidays taking 6 weeks including bank holidays it’s 52 hours of study a week). It’s like completing 6 full A levels in a year.
Reply 9
Original post by PQ
They’re not HNDs they’re just diplomas at level 5

HNDs are level 5 diplomas, Gvt's own website clearly shows they are the same level:

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels
Original post by Laffer
HNDs are level 5 diplomas, Gvt's own website clearly shows they are the same level:

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels

All level 5's not equal, massive difference in work between some of those.
Original post by Laffer

Level is level. Both AS levels and A levels are level 3, so are level 3 certificates - they’re not all equivalent to A levels they’re just at the same level. HNDs are 120 credits at level 4 plus 120 credits at level 5. Equivalence is based on level and size not just level.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
I work in admissions at a university and we wouldn’t accept these qualifications for entry into anything but first year. They’re not HNDs they’re just diplomas at level 5 - so not the full 240 credits that an HND provides.

If you want an HND then look for one awarded by SQA or Pearson/BTEC. Alternatively look around for FdA/FdSc foundation degrees as they’re equivalent and offered by quite a range of universities and colleges.

Or even better wait until September and do an accelerated degree which covers 360 credits/3 years of study in 24 months. Buckingham has been offering these longest but there are a few other genuine universities that offer them too. Be very VERY wary of course providers that don’t award their own degrees - there’s some very dodgy private providers out there who are about to get audited by the university regulator.

ok thank you so much. I did search 2 year programs but not many uni’s offer it or do the course I want. I guess I’ll just look at January starts for uni.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ

If the uni’s I want to do the top up at email
me and say they accept this qualification is it okay to do then?. most likely will just do a normal degree but the early graduation is still tempting lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending