The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine Applicant thread 2025 entry

Use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow veterinary medicine applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello. Thank you for creating this thread. My daughter is hoping to study veterinary medicine in 2025. She has started her application preparation already by attending work experience placements. This has been very difficult to arrange. How has anyone else found it?
Original post by domag123
Hello. Thank you for creating this thread. My daughter is hoping to study veterinary medicine in 2025. She has started her application preparation already by attending work experience placements. This has been very difficult to arrange. How has anyone else found it?

Current vet student here and I’m always happy to help on these threads!! If you have any questions or need specific help let me know. It is hard to get placements but there’s definitely ways to do it. What does she want to get and what has she got?
Reply 3
Original post by flamingolover
Current vet student here and I’m always happy to help on these threads!! If you have any questions or need specific help let me know. It is hard to get placements but there’s definitely ways to do it. What does she want to get and what has she got?

Hi. She has secured placements at 2 local veterinary practices. Will be working on a mixes livestock farm lambing and caring for cows. Just wondering what else we should look at thank you.
Hi. She has secured placements at 2 local veterinary practices. Will be working on a mixes livestock farm lambing and caring for cows. Just wondering what else we should look at thank you.

That’s brilliant so far! Definitely on the right track! The 2 vet practices are brilliant. Are they both small animal? If so I would aim to get a horse or farm (so basically just a large animal vet) If at all possible but this is not neccisarily. Mixed farm is fantastic!!! I also recommend a riding school or local yard. Riding schools tend to love an extra pair of hands but I would recommend phoning as they are often busy. I also recommend a kennels or cattery for small animal husbandry experience again they always want help. To stand out and have a really good understanding of the veterinary world I recommend an abattoir (I only got a day) and an animal research lab (I got 3 days).
Reply 5
That’s brilliant so far! Definitely on the right track! The 2 vet practices are brilliant. Are they both small animal? If so I would aim to get a horse or farm (so basically just a large animal vet) If at all possible but this is not neccisarily. Mixed farm is fantastic!!! I also recommend a riding school or local yard. Riding schools tend to love an extra pair of hands but I would recommend phoning as they are often busy. I also recommend a kennels or cattery for small animal husbandry experience again they always want help. To stand out and have a really good understanding of the veterinary world I recommend an abattoir (I only got a day) and an animal research lab (I got 3 days).

Thank you for your suggestions. I think she may be able to get some experience with large animals at the practices. Going to look at the equine side and kennels etc. Abattoirs and research laboratories maybe more difficult not many within the area.
Thank you for your suggestions. I think she may be able to get some experience with large animals at the practices. Going to look at the equine side and kennels etc. Abattoirs and research laboratories maybe more difficult not many within the area.

I stayed a night at a hotel with my mum near Bristol and went to the abattoir on the university campus and was with 5th year RVC students on rotation! My nearest lab was 30 miles away so it was a bit of a trek! I definitely recommend getting husbandry at least in kennels or a cattery though! I also did a lot (4) farm parks which had a range of pet, farm and exotic animals (one had camels and zebras for some reason!)
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Elizabeth200
Use this as an opportunity to chat with your fellow veterinary medicine applicants!

Hello! I am a 2025 vet med applicant, I am an IB student studying HL: Biology, Chemistry and English Lit & SL: Economics, Spanish B and Math AA. I attended RVC's Pre-Vet Summer School last summer and absolutely loved it, I would highly recommend it! I am a UK citizen living in the EU and I am most likely applying to RVC, Surrey, Liverpool and Bristol. I would love to talk to more students looking to apply in 2025, so send me a message any time! :smile:
Original post by marti3x
Hello! I am a 2025 vet med applicant, I am an IB student studying HL: Biology, Chemistry and English Lit & SL: Economics, Spanish B and Math AA. I attended RVC's Pre-Vet Summer School last summer and absolutely loved it, I would highly recommend it! I am a UK citizen living in the EU and I am most likely applying to RVC, Surrey, Liverpool and Bristol. I would love to talk to more students looking to apply in 2025, so send me a message any time! :smile:

I got offers from Surrey, Liverpool and Bristol (and Nottingham) so if you need any help let me know
Reply 9
I stayed a night at a hotel with my mum near Bristol and went to the abattoir on the university campus and was with 5th year RVC students on rotation! My nearest lab was 30 miles away so it was a bit of a trek! I definitely recommend getting husbandry at least in kennels or a cattery though! I also did a lot (4) farm parks which had a range of pet, farm and exotic animals (one had camels and zebras for some reason!)

Hi Thank you for your reply. We have now hopefully manages to secure placements at an alpaca walking business and a local animal rescue. Have emailed a couple of abbatoirs awaiting replies. Can I ask your advice on a separate matter. She achieved a Grade 5 in English Language. Did not want to resit. Do you think this will stop her from applying to RVC Liverpool etc that say its a requirement. Many thanks
Hi Thank you for your reply. We have now hopefully manages to secure placements at an alpaca walking business and a local animal rescue. Have emailed a couple of abbatoirs awaiting replies. Can I ask your advice on a separate matter. She achieved a Grade 5 in English Language. Did not want to resit. Do you think this will stop her from applying to RVC Liverpool etc that say its a requirement. Many thanks

That sounds great! If she doesn’t meet the requirement I would advise that she doesn’t apply there. Veterinary medicine is very competitive and if they reject her for not meeting entry requirements that’s a waste in my opinion. What I would do is get her to email the unis with a higher English requirement and ask for their advice directly
Reply 11
That sounds great! If she doesn’t meet the requirement I would advise that she doesn’t apply there. Veterinary medicine is very competitive and if they reject her for not meeting entry requirements that’s a waste in my opinion. What I would do is get her to email the unis with a higher English requirement and ask for their advice directly

Thank you will do that.
Thank you will do that.

Sounds good! Alternatively you can see if she could resit now.
Reply 13
Original post by marti3x

Was the pre-vet summer school in person or online?
Reply 14
Original post by Elizabeth200
Was the pre-vet summer school in person or online?

It was held in person (2 week residential) for the first time since covid last summer. If you have any more questions about it feel free to pm me!
Reply 15
hey I am hoping to study vet med in 2025 but I feel very behind on work experience as I only have a week at small animal clinic and help out at a horse riding centre but in the summer I do have a farm work experience lined up. Please let me know how many more hours/weeks I need and what type of work experiences I should apply for
Reply 16
Original post by icebear05
hey I am hoping to study vet med in 2025 but I feel very behind on work experience as I only have a week at small animal clinic and help out at a horse riding centre but in the summer I do have a farm work experience lined up. Please let me know how many more hours/weeks I need and what type of work experiences I should apply for

Don’t worry! I only have 2 weeks total at the minute, I plan on getting most of my experience during the summer. From what I’ve heard, I’d try to get some lambing experience or a day in an abattoir. A lambing placement is something you’ll need to work on getting now, as the season will be starting in the next few weeks. Experience with both large and small animals is crucial so try to ensure your work experience is varied. Maybe find a kennel, cattery, animal rescue or dog groomers. I’m going for a minimum of 8 weeks, but each university has different requirements so you’ll need to double check that. It’s generally recommended that you have well above their minimum work experience requirements.
Original post by icebear05

Okay as a minimum I would recommend

2 weeks vet (ideally 1 week small, 1 week large so farm and/or equine)
1 week kennel/cattery/small animal rescue centre
1 week lambing/dairy
1 week riding school

So I would say try to get another week at a vets and then a week at a rescue centre or cattery etc. I did it on Wednesday afternoon and Saturday mornings to fit it all in!

Extra stuff is farm parks, labs and abattoirs (can be a few days to boost application)
Reply 18

1 week lambing/dairy
1 week riding school

So I would say try to get another week at a vets and then a week at a rescue centre or cattery etc. I did it on Wednesday afternoon and Saturday mornings to fit it all in!

Extra stuff is farm parks, labs and abattoirs (can be a few days to boost application)

thank you so much!
Reply 19

1 week lambing/dairy
1 week riding school

I just want to be sure, how do you count work experience? Like 1 week is 5 days in a row or 5 days in total? If I do a Monday and Tuesday then wait a week and do another Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday is that two weeks or one? How many hours do I have to work for it do count as a day? Sorry if this is a stupid question I’m just double checking. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending