The Student Room Group

Nursing

Hi,
Is anyone currently studying at one of the following uni’s and if so, what does your weekly timetable look like? Are you in daily etc! Thanks so much

University of Wolverhampton
University of Staffordshire
University of Chester
Keele University
University of Chester
Original post by Caitlin_sophie
Hi,
Is anyone currently studying at one of the following uni’s and if so, what does your weekly timetable look like? Are you in daily etc! Thanks so much

University of Chester
Keele University
University of Chester

Hi @Caitlin_sophie. You can talk to current nursing students at Keele on our Unibuddy platform. They will be able to tell you a bit about how their weekly timetables look.

You can talk to Aisha, who is doing a BSc in Children's Nursing if you click on this link- https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/students/5e7b823dc9f6990568832fd2?buddyPosition=share

You can also talk to Olivia, who is a Mental Health Nursing student through this link-https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/students/5e7b80db16853a05636d9c6e?buddyPosition=share

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions , please don't hesitate to ask! :smile:
Original post by Caitlin_sophie
Hi,

University of Chester
Keele University
University of Chester

Hi @Caitlin_sophie

Which of our nursing courses are you considering - Adult, Children or Mental Health?

I can drop one of our Course Leaders an email for an example timetable, but who I email depends on which course you're interested in :smile:

If you could let me know, I'll get in touch with the relevant course leader for an example timetable/answer to your question.

Thanks

Amy
Reply 3
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Caitlin_sophie

Which of our nursing courses are you considering - Adult, Children or Mental Health?

I can drop one of our Course Leaders an email for an example timetable, but who I email depends on which course you're interested in :smile:

If you could let me know, I'll get in touch with the relevant course leader for an example timetable/answer to your question.

Thanks

Amy

Hello Staffordshire

I have applied for Mental Health nursing to start in September. Are you able to look into an example timetable please?

Thank you
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Macallan

Hello Staffordshire

I have applied for Mental Health nursing to start in September. Are you able to look into an example timetable please?

Thank you

Hi - did you end up joining the course can I ask? I am after the same information and interested in staffs too. If you joined, how did you find it?
Reply 5
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
Hi - did you end up joining the course can I ask? I am after the same information and interested in staffs too. If you joined, how did you find it?

I did end up joining the course 😀 in my final year now and have loved the course! There has been some hiccups with the change of the curriculum but the uni seem to be taking on board student feedback. Good luck

I did end up joining the course 😀 in my final year now and have loved the course! There has been some hiccups with the change of the curriculum but the uni seem to be taking on board student feedback. Good luck

Oh that is wonderful news! So happy for you! And well done too - on last year! Not too long to go! Where did you end up studying? I’m looking at staffs - stafford campus - as local.

So how have you found timetable and placement? Please be honest! I need to know if I can do it realistically and just have so many questions - ones I feel I can’t ask staff without getting looked down on.

So - have you been offered a place to work yet or does that happen later?
Reply 7
Oh that is wonderful news! So happy for you! And well done too - on last year! Not too long to go! Where did you end up studying? I’m looking at staffs - stafford campus - as local.

So how have you found timetable and placement? Please be honest! I need to know if I can do it realistically and just have so many questions - ones I feel I can’t ask staff without getting looked down on.

I studied at Stafford campus.

Timetable is pretty much 3 days in at Stafford (sometimes online) and the other days self-directed study or nothing at all. It’s sort of 6 weeks at uni and then 6 weeks on placement and you have 3 placements a year (except 3rd year where you then have a 4 week elective). I have children and no family support and have managed to get this far.

I’ve been offered a job so have one lined up but I’m going to apply for other roles as and when I see them be advertised. It’s a good idea to get on the bank with your local trust as soon as you have completed your first placement. Gets you extra experience and ££.

Any other questions please let me know and I’ll do my best to answer.

Good luck - I’m sure you will be a fab nurse x

Timetable is pretty much 3 days in at Stafford (sometimes online) and the other days self-directed study or nothing at all. It’s sort of 6 weeks at uni and then 6 weeks on placement and you have 3 placements a year (except 3rd year where you then have a 4 week elective). I have children and no family support and have managed to get this far.

I’ve been offered a job so have one lined up but I’m going to apply for other roles as and when I see them be advertised. It’s a good idea to get on the bank with your local trust as soon as you have completed your first placement. Gets you extra experience and ££.

Bless you that is lovely! Oh it sounds like you have had a good experience? I need to hear these stories as I am reading so much into it all and like you have the kids and no family around. I have my husband and nursery - there is school before/after club - but it is the routine that I need accept will have to change.

Do the in uni days stay same through the year? Eg mon tues weds for the whole year? And re placements, whereabouts have you been? Telford, Stoke, Stafford, Wolverhampton, Cannock? And last one sorry! Re placement organisation - has it been mainly through the university or hospital supervisor that you have been able to arrange suitable shift times for you/the working supervisor?

This is what I am most nervous of!

Agree re the bank - would need to do this for sure. So around 6 months in can get on it? Did you have healthcare experience before?

Gosh I feel I have a million questions and you sound like you’re in a very similar situation - and have done it!

Thank you!
Reply 9

Bless you that is lovely! Oh it sounds like you have had a good experience? I need to hear these stories as I am reading so much into it all and like you have the kids and no family around. I have my husband and nursery - there is school before/after club - but it is the routine that I need accept will have to change.

Do the in uni days stay same through the year? Eg mon tues weds for the whole year? And re placements, whereabouts have you been? Telford, Stoke, Stafford, Wolverhampton, Cannock? And last one sorry! Re placement organisation - has it been mainly through the university or hospital supervisor that you have been able to arrange suitable shift times for you/the working supervisor?

Agree re the bank - would need to do this for sure. So around 6 months in can get on it? Did you have healthcare experience before?

Gosh I feel I have a million questions and you sound like you’re in a very similar situation - and have done it!

Thank you!
Yeah I’ve had to rely on before, after school clubs and my husband and between us all we have managed with the 12 hour shifts. Most placements have allowed me to choose my shifts which is great!

Uni days have mostly been the same throughout the 3 years. Only this year they have had us in on a Monday which on previous years they haven’t. They don’t give you your timetable that far in advance which is annoying. Sometimes you might get it a week before the module starts which doesn’t help much with arranging childcare. Days you will tend to be in are Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But sometimes one or two of those will be online.

Placements will depend on the trust they put you with. I was put with my most local trust so have had all of my placements locally.

After your first 6 week placement you can apply for bank and start booking shifts. I had no prior experience so felt I needed to do the placement to gain some experience.

Honestly question away - I’ll do my best to answer.

Thank you!

Yeah I’ve had to rely on before, after school clubs and my husband and between us all we have managed with the 12 hour shifts. Most placements have allowed me to choose my shifts which is great!

Uni days have mostly been the same throughout the 3 years. Only this year they have had us in on a Monday which on previous years they haven’t. They don’t give you your timetable that far in advance which is annoying. Sometimes you might get it a week before the module starts which doesn’t help much with arranging childcare. Days you will tend to be in are Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. But sometimes one or two of those will be online.

Placements will depend on the trust they put you with. I was put with my most local trust so have had all of my placements locally.

After your first 6 week placement you can apply for bank and start booking shifts. I had no prior experience so felt I needed to do the placement to gain some experience.

Honestly question away - I’ll do my best to answer.

Thank you again. It is nice to hear from someone local - and a positive experience.

Re placement - did you found it quite nerve wracking initially? Also did you join the bank and start working as soon as possible too? How good are they at finding shifts for you to suit what you wanted? (Presume only on uni blocks you undertook bank work!).

I am trying to get my husband on board but he is struggling to accept the drop of my income and the change in routine I guess? I need know as much as I can before I jump - but I know I really want to do and am prepared to temp career change leading up to a start date in sept if I know I’m all in.

Another one sorry. Uni blocks. Is the day roughly 9-5 ish? And sorry, re placements- what % would you say were - night long, day long, shorts and community? It really is the childcare thing that is making me worry! Local placements would be fantastic though. Eg stoke/stafford.

Thank you again!
Reply 11
Yes placement has and always is nerve racking initially. I am starting my next one in a few days and I’m dreading it but I know I’ll settle in and it will be ok. I always think if I get one I’m hating it’s only 6 weeks and I will just have to bear with it.

I didnt get on the bank until nearly the end of my first year due to moving house but you can just apply to join as soon as you have done a placement. Shifts come up all the time but most can be quite short notice. I book bank shifts during uni block weeks and placement weeks. They do advise you not to work during placement weeks but sometimes you just have to because people rely on the income.

I can understand your husbands apprehension as mine was the same. Not so much about the drop in income but because of how much more he would have to do with helping with childcare than he had been doing. However he is so happy for me now doing something I enjoy and can see I’m a much happier person because I’m doing something for me. Regarding income, unsure how much you are on now but bear in mind that you get a learning support fund of £7,000 a year or £8,000 if you do mental health. You can also get a maintenance loan which you will apply for when you apply for student finance and the min amount for that is approx £4,500 a year but depending on your husbands wage you may get more and also support with childcare costs. Also if your placement is further than your travel to uni you can claim back the mileage. Not sure if this helps or if you already knew.

Uni is sort of 9-5 but you are normally out by 4pm latest. Start time is normally 9:30 too. A lot of people come in late or leave early to drop and pick up kids. Placement shifts on wards are normally around 7:30ish to 8pm for a long day, 7:30ish to 3pm for an early shift, 12 to 8pm for a late and if in community you will do 9-5 5 days a week. You have to do 40 hours a week on placement but that includes 2.5 hours for reflection so you really only work 37.5 hours. You can choose to do 4 long days a week and then 3 long days the next. You just need to ensure you do 240 hours per placement. Try not to go over those hours because apparently you can’t carry them over to the next placement. That is unless you are making hours up where, for example, you had to take time off one placement for sickness or something. Hope that makes sense.

I know some people have had trouble with childcare and placements tend to be understanding so allow them to choose shifts best for them.
Yes placement has and always is nerve racking initially. I am starting my next one in a few days and I’m dreading it but I know I’ll settle in and it will be ok. I always think if I get one I’m hating it’s only 6 weeks and I will just have to bear with it.

I didnt get on the bank until nearly the end of my first year due to moving house but you can just apply to join as soon as you have done a placement. Shifts come up all the time but most can be quite short notice. I book bank shifts during uni block weeks and placement weeks. They do advise you not to work during placement weeks but sometimes you just have to because people rely on the income.

I can understand your husbands apprehension as mine was the same. Not so much about the drop in income but because of how much more he would have to do with helping with childcare than he had been doing. However he is so happy for me now doing something I enjoy and can see I’m a much happier person because I’m doing something for me. Regarding income, unsure how much you are on now but bear in mind that you get a learning support fund of £7,000 a year or £8,000 if you do mental health. You can also get a maintenance loan which you will apply for when you apply for student finance and the min amount for that is approx £4,500 a year but depending on your husbands wage you may get more and also support with childcare costs. Also if your placement is further than your travel to uni you can claim back the mileage. Not sure if this helps or if you already knew.

Uni is sort of 9-5 but you are normally out by 4pm latest. Start time is normally 9:30 too. A lot of people come in late or leave early to drop and pick up kids. Placement shifts on wards are normally around 7:30ish to 8pm for a long day, 7:30ish to 3pm for an early shift, 12 to 8pm for a late and if in community you will do 9-5 5 days a week. You have to do 40 hours a week on placement but that includes 2.5 hours for reflection so you really only work 37.5 hours. You can choose to do 4 long days a week and then 3 long days the next. You just need to ensure you do 240 hours per placement. Try not to go over those hours because apparently you can’t carry them over to the next placement. That is unless you are making hours up where, for example, you had to take time off one placement for sickness or something. Hope that makes sense.

I know some people have had trouble with childcare and placements tend to be understanding so allow them to choose shifts best for them.

Haha! I love your comment on husband having to help! I am sure that is up there with the drop in income - as a concern for him! 110%! He won’t admit it but yes. Yes is a an income drop but I can still afford childcare just on the annual it seems I’d take home as a ft student. I would need to do bank work to have a life though - mind you I work part time presently 3 days and spend considerably on my days off - so I’d be better off busy and in work and study!

Ahh you really are giving me hope - thank you. Especially re childcare. One in early primary school and one in nursery so quite needy ages still! I think I would need swap from nursery to childminder however to guarantee a number of days. How old are yours roughly?

Have you done placements stoke and stafford hospitals then? How did you find getting used to long shifts? I am a 9-5 er in work but have often also done condensed hours after kids as it’s just more efficient - dad can help (!) around those mornings/eves and save on childcare!

I hope my husband can see the bigger picture here - since having my children it was, that I decided I wanted to enter a true calling, a meaningful, personal profession - I work in law let’s say, and I feel I am just a profit maker, and work for profit. Soulless and not rewarding or meaningful at all to me. Since kids really - first looked into it 6 years ago and have posts on here from then! If I don’t jump I’ll regret it.

Thank you again for your time!
Reply 14
Took a while for my husband to adjust but he got there in the end. I did worry he wouldn’t adjust.

My children, when I started just started infant school and the other was in primary school so just needed before and after school care. A childminder might be a good idea for you just because they are much cheaper.

I haven’t worked in Stoke or Stafford because I don’t live near there. I do my placements Telford/Shrewsbury way. My friends do placements in Stoke and Stafford way and they seem happy and some have jobs lined up now.

Similar to me. I worked in conveyancing and worked for very wealthy people. I felt all I was doing was helping to line their pockets even further and not actually helping anyone in need. I feel much happier what I do now, especially when you hear feedback from your patients and how grateful they are for your help.
Took a while for my husband to adjust but he got there in the end. I did worry he wouldn’t adjust.

My children, when I started just started infant school and the other was in primary school so just needed before and after school care. A childminder might be a good idea for you just because they are much cheaper.

I haven’t worked in Stoke or Stafford because I don’t live near there. I do my placements Telford/Shrewsbury way. My friends do placements in Stoke and Stafford way and they seem happy and some have jobs lined up now.

Similar to me. I worked in conveyancing and worked for very wealthy people. I felt all I was doing was helping to line their pockets even further and not actually helping anyone in need. I feel much happier what I do now, especially when you hear feedback from your patients and how grateful they are for your help.

Happy new year! Oh my word it feels like I am talking to myself! (In the future I hope!). So many parallels! Yes my husband is trying to see if I drop it but not sure I will. Yes I was private client (litigious) and now out and out litigation (insurance). I need more. Are you older like me too? (! She says not giving her age away!!) eg let’s say 35-45?!
Reply 16
Happy new year! Oh my word it feels like I am talking to myself! (In the future I hope!). So many parallels! Yes my husband is trying to see if I drop it but not sure I will. Yes I was private client (litigious) and now out and out litigation (insurance). I need more. Are you older like me too? (! She says not giving her age away!!) eg let’s say 35-45?!

Happy New Year! Sorry for delay, started placement on Tuesday so have been working the last few days.

Yes I am between those ages 😂. I was worried initially thinking I would be too old but so many have started in their mid to late 30s and many in their 40s. I think life experience is an asset we have.

I think you should go for it. You won’t regret it. I am a much happier person now.

Happy New Year! Sorry for delay, started placement on Tuesday so have been working the last few days.

Yes I am between those ages 😂. I was worried initially thinking I would be too old but so many have started in their mid to late 30s and many in their 40s. I think life experience is an asset we have.

I think you should go for it. You won’t regret it. I am a much happier person now.

Oh lovely! How’s placement going? Well I hope.

Oh my gosh my spouse has ambered/greened the light - I am so nervous now! So much to look at - functional skills, childcare changes, work… ahh god feels real and scary. Did you feel the same?

Can we private message on this site sorry? I’m opening up like we are discussing in private now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending