The Student Room Group

Contemplating doing my CBT and getting a moped

I've passed my driving test in Jaunuary, now I'm contemplating getting a moped. From my understanding they are much more fuel efficient and financially relatively cheap.

Do I have to just pass my CBT and I can go drive a moped without L plates?

Any tips when I go to get my CBT and buy a moped?

I know insurance costs vary greatly but how much are people paying for their insurance. Please state age, gender, bike etc
Reply 1
You can ride up to a 50cc moped without L plates: https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training/cbt-if-you-have-a-car-driving-licence (once you've done the CBT). Anything above that and you'll need to take the full test, including the theory again. Also in theory with the CBT you should be able to ride a 125cc with L-plates, I'd assume that's still valid with a car license.

Insurance is generally fairly cheap, you might want to try calling up your car insurance company and see if they'll cut you a discount for insuring both of your vehicles, it might be cheaper that way. Fuel and tax tend to cost pittance, and maintenance probably won't be much either. Have a look on the price comparison websites, they'll give you a feel for exactly how much you're likely to be spending.
Original post by Dez
You can ride up to a 50cc moped without L plates: https://www.gov.uk/cbt-compulsory-basic-training/cbt-if-you-have-a-car-driving-licence (once you've done the CBT). Anything above that and you'll need to take the full test, including the theory again. Also in theory with the CBT you should be able to ride a 125cc with L-plates, I'd assume that's still valid with a car license.

Insurance is generally fairly cheap, you might want to try calling up your car insurance company and see if they'll cut you a discount for insuring both of your vehicles, it might be cheaper that way. Fuel and tax tend to cost pittance, and maintenance probably won't be much either. Have a look on the price comparison websites, they'll give you a feel for exactly how much you're likely to be spending.

Ok thanks for the information. I've been playing around on insurance comparison websites and getting quoted £200-£500, depending on whether I put my home or uni address, the lower end quote is my uni address so will most likely get it insured when I move in to my flat in September.

How much would you recommend paying for a first moped, as I don't want to go too cheap and buy something unreliable but at the same time nothing too expensive?

Also after I get my CBT will I be able to drive up to 50cc bikes for the rest of my life or will it expire in two years as I've read conflicting information.
Reply 3
Original post by TSA
Ok thanks for the information. I've been playing around on insurance comparison websites and getting quoted £200-£500, depending on whether I put my home or uni address, the lower end quote is my uni address so will most likely get it insured when I move in to my flat in September.

How much would you recommend paying for a first moped, as I don't want to go too cheap and buy something unreliable but at the same time nothing too expensive?

Also after I get my CBT will I be able to drive up to 50cc bikes for the rest of my life or will it expire in two years as I've read conflicting information.

I don't know much about buying mopeds TBH. For buying advice I recommend engaging the knowledgeable souls over on the motorbike society thread. General consensus is to avoid Chinese models I think. :wink:

The 50cc entitlement lasts as long as your car license does. I don't know about the 125cc L-plate-wearing entitlement, though I'm guessing that remains at two years.
Original post by TSA
I've passed my driving test in Jaunuary, now I'm contemplating getting a moped. From my understanding they are much more fuel efficient and financially relatively cheap.

Do I have to just pass my CBT and I can go drive a moped without L plates?

Any tips when I go to get my CBT and buy a moped?

I know insurance costs vary greatly but how much are people paying for their insurance. Please state age, gender, bike etc

Yes, you're 17+ if you've done your car test so can do your CBT then can ride a bike up to 125cc and 15bhp for up to 2 years on L plates (Or a moped, which is 50cc and limited to 30mph, without L plates).

A CBT is just training. Relax and you'll be fine. If you've done your car test it should be a breeze.

I'e never paid over £300 for bike insurance and atm i'm paying £150 TPF&T.

Original post by TSA

I'd bee looking at £500 and stick to the Japanese makes(Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki). Avoid chienese at all costs as they rust/fall apart.

You'll be able to ride mopeds forever but would have to redo it every 2 years to be able to continue to ride a 125cc bike is what i understand.

The confusion comes about the difference in mopeds and other bikes you can ride on a CBT.
Original post by Motorbiker
Yes, you're 17+ if you've done your car test so can do your CBT then can ride a bike up to 125cc and 15bhp for up to 2 years on L plates (Or a moped, which is 50cc and limited to 30mph, without L plates).

A CBT is just training. Relax and you'll be fine. If you've done your car test it should be a breeze.

I'e never paid over £300 for bike insurance and atm i'm paying £150 TPF&T.

I'd bee looking at £500 and stick to the Japanese makes(Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki). Avoid chienese at all costs as they rust/fall apart.

You'll be able to ride mopeds forever but would have to redo it every 2 years to be able to continue to ride a 125cc bike is what i understand.

The confusion comes about the difference in mopeds and other bikes you can ride on a CBT.

Ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up for me. When I actually come to buying one I'll have a look on here and get some more specific advice.

When I come to booking my CBT, I've read I should be weary of the test centre as some are not as good as others, is there like a review site for test centres where I could see if they are any good or not?

And if I want to ride up to 125cc for more than 2 years what sort of costs and training would I be looking at? Also is around £100 for CBT what I should be expecting to pay?
Original post by TSA
Ahh I see, thanks for clearing that up for me. When I actually come to buying one I'll have a look on here and get some more specific advice.

When I come to booking my CBT, I've read I should be weary of the test centre as some are not as good as others, is there like a review site for test centres where I could see if they are any good or not?

And if I want to ride up to 125cc for more than 2 years what sort of costs and training would I be looking at? Also is around £100 for CBT what I should be expecting to pay?

Urm, whereabouts do you live? WE have a (small) thread on here with some reviews for test centres(In the learning to drive sub-forum).

Full test, About £120-150 just for the tests but you'd need training for that probably just to make sure you're good enoguh(Same as car test).

Yea, About £100 is standard.
Urm, whereabouts do you live? WE have a (small) thread on here with some reviews for test centres(In the learning to drive sub-forum).

Full test, About £120-150 just for the tests but you'd need training for that probably just to make sure you're good enoguh(Same as car test).

Yea, About £100 is standard.

North West, near Manchester.

How many hours of training should it take, is it not like the CBT where I could just spend a day and get it done?
Original post by TSA

How many hours of training should it take, is it not like the CBT where I could just spend a day and get it done?

Don't think we have anyone from up there but check the thread just to be sure.

Urm, epends how good you are etc. It's basically the same as the car test but on a bike. No, you can do the intensive week long training courses same as you can with driving tests.
Don't think we have anyone from up there but check the thread just to be sure.

Urm, epends how good you are etc. It's basically the same as the car test but on a bike. No, you can do the intensive week long training courses same as you can with driving tests.

I can't find the thread, do you have a link?

I've just rang up for my CBT and they asked if I wanted to do it on a geared bike or automatic. I'm assuming it would be best to learn on a geared bike right?
Original post by TSA
I can't find the thread, do you have a link?

I've just rang up for my CBT and they asked if I wanted to do it on a geared bike or automatic. I'm assuming it would be best to learn on a geared bike right?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2661420

Yea, do geared bike.
Reply 11
Original post by TSA

A friend and I just got a full licence for £440 each not including the theory. This was in the south so you may well be able to get cheaper.

That was two full days training, followed by the mod 1 test, followed by a couple of hours followed by the mod 2 test a few days later. I think half a day less tuition would probably have been fine.

That was on a 600cc for comparison.
Original post by 345rty
A friend and I just got a full licence for £440 each not including the theory. This was in the south so you may well be able to get cheaper.

That was two full days training, followed by the mod 1 test, followed by a couple of hours followed by the mod 2 test a few days later. I think half a day less tuition would probably have been fine.

That was on a 600cc for comparison.

I'll just be getting my CBT soon, and then once I get a little bit more money I'll be taking my full licence.

Is the CBT difficult? What sort of things do you learn?
Reply 13
Original post by TSA
I'll just be getting my CBT soon, and then once I get a little bit more money I'll be taking my full licence.

Its not, effectively its getting used to slow machine control around some cones off the road, emergency stops, a few basic junctions, then a couple of hours on the road. Assuming you then appear safe enough to go and continue learning you get your certificate.
Original post by TSA

CBT is just training- it isn't a test, but it isn't unheard of to be asked t do a second day if they feel you aren't up to scratch. Look in the bike soc ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2412448 and there is loads of info in the first few posts and people will answer if you ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending