The Student Room Group

Training as CBT psychotherapist

Hello! I would like to train as CBT psychotherapist, and I found a PGDip I'm interested in, but under 'entry requirements' it states that I must have: "A core professional qualification in a mental-health field as defined by the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) or evidence of completing the BABCP Knowledge Skills and Attitudes requirements" (apparently the latter also asks for evidence of having worked as a therapist, btw) or "Foundation-level knowledge of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and evidence of providing structured psychological therapies and interventions." My main question is: how do I obtain practical experience of therapy if all the training courses I've looked at require me to have previous experience? I mean: where do we start from, after graduation? How do we get this 'mysterious' basic training that allows to apply for masters etc.? :s-smilie:
Original post by milladf
Hello! I would like to train as CBT psychotherapist, and I found a PGDip I'm interested in, but under 'entry requirements' it states that I must have: "A core professional qualification in a mental-health field as defined by the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) or evidence of completing the BABCP Knowledge Skills and Attitudes requirements" (apparently the latter also asks for evidence of having worked as a therapist, btw) or "Foundation-level knowledge of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and evidence of providing structured psychological therapies and interventions." My main question is: how do I obtain practical experience of therapy if all the training courses I've looked at require me to have previous experience? I mean: where do we start from, after graduation? How do we get this 'mysterious' basic training that allows to apply for masters etc.? :s-smilie:

Because you're not supposed to.

You have been looking at the high-intensity CBT, when most people and certainly people in your position are looking at the low-intensity CBT PGDip. It's still a highly competitive process to get on that! Many do the low-intensity of other quals and then later the high-intensity.

You can probably get on many master's courses, research master's, clinical or the master's version of the CBT stuff probably not.

Getting the position of volunteer assistant psychologist is achievable after graduation.
Original post by marinade
Because you're not supposed to.

You have been looking at the high-intensity CBT, when most people and certainly people in your position are looking at the low-intensity CBT PGDip. It's still a highly competitive process to get on that! Many do the low-intensity of other quals and then later the high-intensity.

You can probably get on many master's courses, research master's, clinical or the master's version of the CBT stuff probably not.

Getting the position of volunteer assistant psychologist is achievable after graduation.

Hi. I was hoping for advice on becoming a high intensity therapist / cbt therapist. I've done quite abit of research but really struggling to find any direct answers. My question is once qualified what are the prospects of getting a job as a high intensity therapist? I'm scared of committing only to find that I struggle in finding a job. Thanks
Original post by Natashacroft158
Hi. I was hoping for advice on becoming a high intensity therapist / cbt therapist. I've done quite abit of research but really struggling to find any direct answers. My question is once qualified what are the prospects of getting a job as a high intensity therapist? I'm scared of committing only to find that I struggle in finding a job. Thanks

Why do you want to be a high intensity therapist? Is it because low intensity is really boring? Really menial? You don't like groups? Prefer 1-1? Or some weird reason like the stupid prospects.ac.uk listing fairly unrealistic/unhelpful careers for psychology?
If you qualify there are lots of posts. Check the NHS jobs website and type in "High intensity therapist" and see the results.

The trickier part is getting there. The recognised core professions are ones like occupational therapy, mental health nursing or clinical psychology, which all have their pros and cons. Making the jump from a low intensity therapist to high is far harder (because of the lack of core profession).

It may be worth contacting your local IAPT service to talk to the LI staff to see how they are getting on with that. Very few tend to want to stay as PWPs, so there is that bottleneck to making the leap upwards.
P.S. posting the same post somewhere around 17 times in a short space of time, in 7 different bits of the forums is going to potentially wind up moderators and people who might answer the question.
P.S. posting the same post somewhere around 17 times in a short space of time, in 7 different bits of the forums is going to potentially wind up moderators and people who might answer the question.

I'm new on the forum and didnt know what I was doing. Also I've come here to ask for help not get multiple passive aggressive messages from you. God help anyone who comes to see you if you're trained in this field!! Good day
Original post by Lord Asriel
If you qualify there are lots of posts. Check the NHS jobs website and type in "High intensity therapist" and see the results.

The trickier part is getting there. The recognised core professions are ones like occupational therapy, mental health nursing or clinical psychology, which all have their pros and cons. Making the jump from a low intensity therapist to high is far harder (because of the lack of core profession).

It may be worth contacting your local IAPT service to talk to the LI staff to see how they are getting on with that. Very few tend to want to stay as PWPs, so there is that bottleneck to making the leap upwards.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. Ita given me alot to think about. I'm thinking of going down the core profession route as I feel more confident having a back up profession so to speak.
I'm new on the forum and didnt know what I was doing. Also I've come here to ask for help not get multiple passive aggressive messages from you. God help anyone who comes to see you if you're trained in this field!! Good day

There aren't multiple posts, don't exaggerate (a sign of passive aggression), I have posted twice in the same thread, this is the third and each post has been different. Of course you know what you are doing.
New has nothing to do with that, you wouldn't do it in any forum.

As giella said elsewhere we need more information. As lord asriel said above contact IAPT. The CCGs vary particularly how low intensity CBT is offered and resources. I would talk to several CCGs that neighbour each other. It is quite normal for people in low intensity to hop around or find a CCG more suited. Low intensity often has a short shelf life. People so secondments or AP or other things after.

An alternative is looking at linkedin. Many low intensity and former ones on there and some high intensity therapists and you can get a sense of what they did, for how long and their routes. Some on linkedin are quite happy to talk. Clinpsy forum has lots of PWPs or former ones on there. On linkedin there may be some equivalent knowledge source like PsychAssist or may even get contacts of useful info off him.

One of the future issues with PWP is that quite a few private companies are training people up on low intensity and assistant PWPs seem to be expanding. This is going to create even more of a bottleneck.

I'm guessing from the response above means you have a very negative view of low intensity.
There aren't multiple posts, don't exaggerate (a sign of passive aggression), I have posted twice in the same thread, this is the third and each post has been different. Of course you know what you are doing.
New has nothing to do with that, you wouldn't do it in any forum.

As giella said elsewhere we need more information. As lord asriel said above contact IAPT. The CCGs vary particularly how low intensity CBT is offered and resources. I would talk to several CCGs that neighbour each other. It is quite normal for people in low intensity to hop around or find a CCG more suited. Low intensity often has a short shelf life. People so secondments or AP or other things after.

An alternative is looking at linkedin. Many low intensity and former ones on there and some high intensity therapists and you can get a sense of what they did, for how long and their routes. Some on linkedin are quite happy to talk. Clinpsy forum has lots of PWPs or former ones on there. On linkedin there may be some equivalent knowledge source like PsychAssist or may even get contacts of useful info off him.

One of the future issues with PWP is that quite a few private companies are training people up on low intensity and assistant PWPs seem to be expanding. This is going to create even more of a bottleneck.

I'm guessing from the response above means you have a very negative view of low intensity.

I think your problem is that you think I have a very negative view of low intensity and it's got your back up. I havent mentioned low intensity. The reason I asked about high intensity is because that's what interests me and I'm entitled to that without judgement from you. I was on this site a whole 5mins before I posted so yes I'm new and it very much has something to do with the fact that I didnt know where or how to post but managed it somehow (not that I have to explain myself to you). As for me having a negative view I havent said anything negative at all. I asked a question about high intensity and you assumed I had a problem. Not one of them offering ANY help until I pull you up over it. Let's clear that up. Listen I came her for help not to get into an argument with some rude stranger on a forum. There no point in continuing this so let's leave it at that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by username4507692

Hey!

It just means you need basic training in counselling skills or psychotherapy before training in CBT. You can study a level 3 counselling skills course, which takes one academic year part-time, then level 4, which is 2 years and includes placement hours with clients. This would allow you to work as a counsellor. Then you can move on to train in other therapies, such as CBT.

This is just one way of training, there are other routes, but I don't know as much about them.

Hope this helps!

Loren
Reply 11

Don’t worry, he’s/ she’s a **** and it is no reflection upon you. I agree with your sentiment- I would hope they are not a working therapist, although in my experience as one, the field draws as many narcissistic types as empathetic ones- you I believe are the latter. Good luck to you, we need more like you and not our aggressive comrade back there :smile:
Original post by Lukey duke
Don’t worry, he’s/ she’s a **** and it is no reflection upon you. I agree with your sentiment- I would hope they are not a working therapist, although in my experience as one, the field draws as many narcissistic types as empathetic ones- you I believe are the latter. Good luck to you, we need more like you and not our aggressive comrade back there :smile:

Love the empathy, but guess the OP is long qualified or in a different field now.

Also, as a side note, be careful with your language and assertions about the other poster. You have effectively done exactly what you purport to find unpalatable in other therapists.

Take care,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest