The Student Room Group

GRADUATE Medicine Questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chqr
Apologies for my extreme ineptitude but what is 'fy1'?

Thanks again.

Foundation Year 1. Your first year of working as a Doctor when you finish University.
Reply 41
Original post by Amyk89
The general consensus is it is due to the shape of training review. If graduation becomes the point at which you become fully qualified, unlike the end of fy1 as it stands now, then GEM courses don't meet the required hours needed in Europe to constitute a medical degree.

Hey, have you got a link for more information about the GMC review.

I always (wrongly) thought medical schools were moving away from GEM for financial reasons.
Original post by 419
Hey, have you got a link for more information about the GMC review.

I always (wrongly) thought medical schools were moving away from GEM for financial reasons.

I found that info out from a current medical student in another thread so I don't have an original source sorry.
Original post by Sam00
Hi, when you applied for GEM did the Universities take into account your A-Levels and GCSE's as well as the 1st in Nursing?

I would really love to do medicine but have very average GCSE's and did a BTEC National instead of A-levels, and completed an Access to HE last year.

I have a place to study Mental Health Nursing but I think I would really like the option to do GEM in the future in case nursing turns out not to suit me, but would Mental Health Nursing be less credible that Adult Nursing?

Leicester (where I got into) did yes. I think I had to meet A-level criteria for Southampton but I can't remember and I don't think Warwick looked at anything before degree (but its a little while ago and admissions criteria change year on year so I don't know about this years criteria).

Mental health nursing will be absolutely fine. You have to study a degree you want to do and would be happy working in that field if medicine doesn't pan out.
You don't get any funds if you're a graduate on a 5 year degree. But currently you do if you're on a gem course. Funding is only secured for this up until 2015 so it's unknown if people applying for 2016 entry will get the same deal.
I pay about 3500 up front for fees this year and get a loan for the rest. The next three years the nhs pays that 3500.
I also get a maintenance loan. In later years you get a (small) nhs bursary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amyk89
You don't get any funds if you're a graduate on a 5 year degree. But currently you do if you're on a gem course. Funding is only secured for this up until 2015 so it's unknown if people applying for 2016 entry will get the same deal.
I pay about 3500 up front for fees this year and get a loan for the rest. The next three years the nhs pays that 3500.
I also get a maintenance loan. In later years you get a (small) nhs bursary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you happen to know when the government will be reviewing this? As a potential 2016 entry applicant I'm quite anxious about it.
Original post by LukeyJB
Do you happen to know when the government will be reviewing this? As a potential 2016 entry applicant I'm quite anxious about it.

No idea. I'm only going off what people have said on here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
I'm about to start uni this year and had looked into grad. medicine for when I finish because there's no way my A-Levels would have got me into medicine however now it doesn't seem so likely with everyone saying that the programme might not even exist in a few years?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending