The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
Sanogo injured. Again.

Source? I heard he was left out of the NYC tour as precautionary measure because of a thigh issue
Original post by little_tom
Ben Smith (BBC) says we are interested in Schneiderlin but this will cost us about £30M as Soton value him more than most others they off-loaded. Carvalho has been linked as well but it seems we don't want to meet the buyout clause. Khedira could be a possibility but this is starting to seem more and more unlikely as there's reports that he is willing to run down his contract with Madrid and leave on a free next year.

It will be a while if/when we get one of the three players above. Slow negotiations...

£30m for Schneiderlin is a joke - I'd rather we spent £7m more and get Carvalho. The guy's 6'2, strong, athletic, and can pass.

And as far as Khedira's concerned, he can go **** himself if he wants £150k p/w.
Original post by Pete_91
They've spent 70odd million on Rodriguez though, surely their revenue isn't enough to account for an increase in net spend on last of year of probably 50m.

Somebody will be sold. Di Maria and Khedira most likely, they can give about 60M give or take a few million to raise funds. Look at how Sanchez funded Suarez e.g.
Original post by Stalin
£30m for Schneiderlin is a joke - I'd rather we spent £7m more and get Carvalho. The guy's 6'2, strong, athletic, and can pass.

And as far as Khedira's concerned, he can go **** himself if he wants £150k p/w.

£30M is slightly inflated but he is young, established in the Premier League, home grown and if we factor in wages... it will probably end up cheaper in the long run, compared to say Carvalho who has Mendes as his agent. At this point we shouldn't really be fussed over how much we pay for a DMF because it is such a pressing need.
Original post by Stalin

Lars Bender is a good substitute for Khedira. But Khedira would play much better with Ozil, thus bringing the best out of Ozil too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
£30M is slightly inflated but he is young, established in the Premier League, home grown and if we factor in wages... it will probably end up cheaper in the long run, compared to say Carvalho who has Mendes as his agent. At this point we shouldn't really be fussed over how much we pay for a DMF because it is such a pressing need.

Have I mentioned that I think it would be a superb signing?

He's HG? Well, that tips it his favour tbh.

I'd rather we spent the £30m on Diaby's legs instead, though.

Ramsey Diaby
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Giroud
Original post by CallMeJay
Lars Bender is a good substitute for Khedira. But Khedira would play much better with Ozil, thus bringing the best out of Ozil too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To the best of my knowledge Lars signed a new deal with Leverkusen - he's not moving anywhere.
Original post by jam278
Somebody will be sold. Di Maria and Khedira most likely, they can give about 60M give or take a few million to raise funds. Look at how Sanchez funded Suarez e.g.

Not too fussed about Di Maria, I don't think he is that good. He plays exceptionally well in patches, then at times looks so Nani.

I'd go for Khedira but it would have to be £130k per week tops. £150k is a bloody joke, he can **** off if he is asking for that still.
Have to just reiterate just how baffled I am that Chambers is going for this kind of money. Trust AW's judgement obviously but I really dont understand it. Jenkinson has probably got as much potential anyway :confused:

And if we're spending that amount on a 19 year old back up defender, why are we worried about the odd million here and there for a new DM who would improve the team vastly?

It's quite strange
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Have to just reiterate just how baffled I am that Chambers is going for this kind of money. Trust AW's judgement obviously but I really dont understand it. Jenkinson has probably got as much potential anyway :confused:

And if we're spending that amount on a 19 year old back up defender, why are we worried about the odd million here and there for a new DM who would improve the team vastly?

It's quite strange

Might seem unknown to us but to most youth coaches at national level see him as one of the most promising youngsters in the country. Most journalists seem to think he will make it to the 2018 World Cup as well:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28277119

As I understand the fee is nominal. Likely to be £10-12M up front and a potential £4-5M in add ons based on performances in the future. Its no different to the Chamberlain deal.
Original post by Zürich

It's quite strange

Maybe Wenger sees a Ramsey level of potential in the kid? I think he is possibly a long term option at centre back for us. If he becomes the England CB for years then the transfer fee is peanuts. Scouting reports from the media certainly suggest this is a distinct possibility, with his future position being CB.
4/5 national journalists, not bad if you ask me

Original post by Zürich

It's quite strange

Read something a while ago that at the time we bought Jenkinson, Wenger was much more keen on Chambers, however Steve Rowley, chief scout, insisted on Jenkinson.

I think it's a fair price. I watched him closely last season after we were being linked with him and he seems very comfortable on the ball and pretty solid for his age. He could have had an important role next season with so many leaving Southampton and then have a price tag like Shaw which was quite ridiculous. Better we got In there early and of course Arsene has been tracking him for a while so knows what he will be getting. Similar price to Jones who we missed out on, and Chambers seems better than Jones was. Similar price to Ox too. Also it's more like £12m + add ons which is not bad at all if we could be potentially getting a great English centre back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Love that. Chambers was probably the least talked about future English star yet the majority still aware of his potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only 2/5 have the OX, though.
Wilshere,Walcott,Chambers,Ox will all be starting for England at WC 2018. Core of the team will be of AFC and England should reach at least the QFS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given the strength, or lack thereof, of English football atm, I'm not sure if that's too much to get excited about. But apparently Wenger has tracked him for years and knows what he likes so that's something at least.

Would be nice if he were converted into a CB, last English CB we had was Martin Keown a decade ago and good ones are worth their weight in gold. But even then, you think of the likes of Ginter moving to BVB for €10m and you have to think we've fallen into the English-overvaluation trap.

Original post by TheInvincibles14
Wilshere,Walcott,Chambers,Ox will all be starting for England at WC 2018. Core of the team will be of AFC and England should reach at least the QFS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jenkinson captain. :moon:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Given the strength, or lack thereof, of English football atm, I'm not sure if that's too much to get excited about. But apparently Wenger has tracked him for years and knows what he likes so that's something at least.

Would be nice if he were converted into a CB, last English CB we had was Martin Keown a decade ago and good ones are worth their weight in gold. But even then, you think of the likes of Ginter moving to BVB for €10m and you have to think we've fallen into the English-overvaluation trap.

I expect Chambers to see Arsenal as the pinnacle of his career, though. Any other young German or Spaniard we purchase will always be swayed when Bayern, Madrid or Barcelona come knocking. I think this comes into the valuation as well tbf, but I am really convinced that Wenger is paying this much purely on potential.
(edited 9 years ago)
I expect Chambers to see Arsenal as the pinnacle of his career, though. Any other young German or Spaniard we purchase will always be swayed when Bayern, Madrid or Barcelona come knocking. I think this comes into the valuation as well tbf, but I am really convinced that Wenger is paying this much purely on potential.

True, but then again Ashley Cole was a boyhood Arsenal fan from London who came through our own academy and ended up over at Chavski over £5k/week :rolleyes: Gareth Bale didn't really fancy hanging about at Spurs either! :laugh:

Not sure why people assume Chambers can play CB as well, he's never played a PL game in his life there and to me doesnt look like he has the outstanding physical traits that make a conversion obvious. 6'0 only, not particularly imposing so Wenger's taking a proper gamble here. Then again, as Luke Shaw has shown, these kinds of players can end up in the £30m price range before you know it so if Wenger fancies that he has the minerals, then it does make sense not to wait.

On the positive side, Southampton fans on twitter seem gutted to lose him but as people have said that's probably got alot to do with their summer generally.

And one thing everyone has said is that he's one of the most down to earth and professional youngsters around so Wenger probably knows he'll get real professionalism out of him. And all the best PL sides have those kind of English players who'll work like dogs and play with spirt. Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher were hardly blessed with talent and they did alright...

Also interesting to note that we have more English/British players than the other top sides these days. If you think about Arsenal around 2009 then we had Walcott only(and he was a squad player) so it's a big reversal these days. Players like Chambers will probably be handy next time we're 3-0 down at Anfield or Stamford Bridge :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest